Other uses for saltwater

johnoburns

I was doing a water change on my saltwater tank today and started wondering what other people do with their old salt water. Does anyone else do something with it besides dumping it the gutter or down the drain? I saw some people up north tried to use it to deice driveways, but they just fell on their ***** while going to their cars.

I have fresh water fish as well and use their old water to water plants. The plants really seem to love it. I believe salt is generally bad for plants, but I'm not sure about the concentration at which we use it in our tanks.

I was doing a water change on my saltwater tank today and started wondering what other people do with their old salt water. Does anyone else do something with it besides dumping it the gutter or down the drain? I saw some people up north tried to use it to deice driveways, but they just fell on their ***** while going to their cars.

I have fresh water fish as well and use their old water to water plants. The plants really seem to love it. I believe salt is generally bad for plants, but I'm not sure about the concentration at which we use it in our tanks.

I am pretty sure the concentrations in SW tanks would be very bad for regular plants. Even much lower medicinal levels in freshwater tanks/ponds will tend to kill your grass for instance.

Bill

I am pretty sure the concentrations in SW tanks would be very bad for regular plants. Even much lower medicinal levels in freshwater tanks/ponds will tend to kill your grass for instance.

Bill

Ahh crap I have been dumping 5gals a week of salwater on the grass out my back door. I guess we will see if it grows in this spring or not.

Lpantz, I like the evaporation idea. Good thinking there, I might have to try that.

Joshman, sorry dude, but at least you know now. Hopefully there is not to much salt in the soil or you might have to replace some of the soil/dirt in your backyard.

With respect to salt water put outside, like most situations, it depends on how much. In most sandy loam pasturland, salts are leached from the soil and require addittion of fertilizers and lime each year. For years, it was common practice to dispose of ice cream salt around our Bradford Pear trees. Prior to application of the salt, the trees displayed black spots on the leaves called "black spot blight". After applying the salt the leaves greened up and the tree showed healthy growth. I am sure if we put a ton of the same salt around this tree, we would have killed it.

I guess my soil sciences classes finally pay off! The salt is very bad for your soil this is what is happening to most irrigated cropland nowadays. Especially with the drought that most of this country has been hit with the last couple of years. If the salt is not leached out of the soil it will adversely(making it acidic) affect your soil although now they are trying to cross many plants that are found in saltwater enviroments, which store the salt in little pockets that they grow, with plants that we could actually use for crops ect.

LOL I wonder if you could dry it out and reuse the salt. I dont know about you but I dont want to eat that :lol:

lol i didn't say i would eat it. I meant sell to some sucker. Also if you dried it and used it again it would still have all the nitrates and stuff you were trying to get rid of.