2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Giveaway

olaggie01

The part that I don't like about bare bottom is that algae and coralline grows on it and there is no way to scrape it off. If you have snails then they will leave bad tracks all along the bottom of the tank. My opinion is bias because I love wrasses so much. There are very nice bare bottom tanks out there, but I believe they must be ULNS.

True about the wrasse, but not all wrasse need sand. Or so says Ty.

I'm still on the fence about it. I may order a bag of sand and see how things set up the first month or so. I do love the look of sand, white reflective clean sand. What I don't like is the algae that grows in it.

I went an purchased some 1/2" PEX line to run through the attic for my ATO/AWC. Now I need some time to shimmy around in the attic and get it installed.

That's true. Here's a list of wrasses and where they sleep. You'll be limited to lined, fairy and flashers but those are very nice as well. I would avoid Thalassoma, Coris, Pencil and Anampses species. Gomphosus are nice and active for big tanks, but they will eat small fish and inverts.

• Like 1

My guy eats whatever I put in the tank, as well as sifting the sand. As I transition tanks and he goes into clean sand, I plan to overfeed a bit to make sure he's good.

Thanks for the tip. If I could get one to eat other foods, then I'll definitely consider one. They are very amusing to watch and I'm sure my kids would enjoy them immensely.

The part that I don't like about bare bottom is that algae and coralline grows on it and there is no way to scrape it off. If you have snails then they will leave bad tracks all along the bottom of the tank. My opinion is bias because I love wrasses so much. There are very nice bare bottom tanks out there, but I believe they must be ULNS.

True about the wrasse, but not all wrasse need sand. Or so says Ty.

I'm still on the fence about it. I may order a bag of sand and see how things set up the first month or so. I do love the look of sand, white reflective clean sand. What I don't like is the algae that grows in it.

I went an purchased some 1/2" PEX line to run through the attic for my ATO/AWC. Now I need some time to shimmy around in the attic and get it installed.

That's true. Here's a list of wrasses and where they sleep. You'll be limited to lined, fairy and flashers but those are very nice as well. I would avoid Thalassoma, Coris, Pencil and Anampses species. Gomphosus are nice and active for big tanks, but they will eat small fish and inverts.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look and see what I want.

Right now I need to pair down my current fish and decide what needs to be re-homed.

I have the following fish

3 Yellow Tangs

1 Blue Tang

1 Emperor Angel

2-3 PJ Cardinals

1 Blue Chromis

1 Hawkfish

1 Pygmy Angel

1 Melanarus wrasse

I'd like to keep the Emperor until the morph is complete. Then I'll re-home him.

I also really like the hawkfish (color and personality).

Get rid of the Blue Tang and Emperor.

The Blue Tang is the devil... Ty is fish whispering our old YB Blue though ;)

Go for a slightly smaller full sized angel. The Bandit we picked up has become my favorite fish in the tank. Personality for days. Even in QT he always seemed to be looking at me like, where my clams at bro?

• Like 1

The Blue Tang is the devil... Ty is fish whispering our old YB Blue though ;)

Go for a slightly smaller full sized angel. The Bandit we picked up has become my favorite fish in the tank. Personality for days. Even in QT he always seemed to be looking at me like, where my clams at bro?

I've been whispering to the hippo but he doesn't really listen to me. He sure does listen to the emperor grunting though.

Emperors are hit and miss from what I've seen over the years. They're beautiful fish, but I can't trade my euphyllias for one fish. Have you thought about a display school or shoal? Since you already have the tangs then that might be your first choice, but there are others as well.

The Blue Tang is the devil... Ty is fish whispering our old YB Blue though wink.png

Definitely moving on with the Blue tang. I'd like to see the Emperor change but I will see how things look once I get the tank setup.

Bandits are great. I also really like Bellus angels. Not sure how they would play with the pygmy though.

Emperors are hit and miss from what I've seen over the years. They're beautiful fish, but I can't trade my euphyllias for one fish. Have you thought about a display school or shoal? Since you already have the tangs then that might be your first choice, but there are others as well.

I've thought about a small school of anthias, but I'm not sure if I can keep up with the feeding requirements. Delicate balance.

With 48" of length, having more than 2 tangs is iffy. All three of the YTs are still small so I might keep them for a while until they get bigger along with the Emperor.

I say be the mayor of fairy wrasse city! Get like 7 different fairy wrasses and call it a day. There will be so much motion in your tank a person will get dizzy just looking at it.

All Hail!! The Mayor of Fairy Wrasse City enters

I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say be the mayor of fairy wrasse city! Get like 7 different fairy wrasses and call it a day. There will be so much motion in your tank a person will get dizzy just looking at it.

I like it

I hear distant calls of kazoos sounding your approach...

Got my "supplemental" lights today. I like the Radions but I love T5. So why not both. I didn't want to cobble together retro fixtures like I have in the past so when I saw these Hamilton fixtures I knew I had to have them

2 x 54w T5s in front of and in back of the Radions. Should get me great coverage and color.

f9be5aacff4eba8e7e59ae9ead63e3c1.jpg

e66fd3bb0b429284bf539d883d8394e8.jpg

9f106f414ff48a9a7b24bda37eb071bc.jpg

• Like 2

I like it

I hear distant calls of kazoos sounding your approach...

Better kazoos than death threats

• 4 weeks later...

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank ?

• Like 1

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank

You're the wrasse king Rob, you guys will have to arm wrestle for the title if he goes that route.
  • Like 1

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank [emoji12]

Hey Rob. Good to hear from you.

The tank is done. It's the sump and stand we are waiting on. I think the sump will be done next week. Not sure about the stand. Maybe another week or so.

I'll need some recommendations on the wrasses.

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank [emoji12]

The tank is done. It's the sump and stand we are waiting on. I think the sump will be done next week. Not sure about the stand. Maybe another week or so.

That's great Chris, you must be stoked to get it all setup. I've heard nothing but great things about the reef savvy tanks so it sounds like it'll all be worth the wait in the end. I'll definitely do my best to recommend some wrasses.

You could always start things off right with one of these ??post-1549-0-10830900-1457201391_thumb.jp

cdn.com/20160212/9f106f414ff48a9a7b24bda37eb071bc.jpg]

I was looking was looking for a way to add T-5's, I followed your lead and order 1 of these. Are you changing the bulbs or are you using the ones that came with it?

That's great Chris, you must be stoked to get it all setup. I've heard nothing but great things about the reef savvy tanks so it sounds like it'll all be worth the wait in the end. I'll definitely do my best to recommend some wrasses.

You could always start things off right with one of these attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice looking fish Rob. Care to fill me in? I'm sure it is a million dollar wrasse?

• Like 1

cdn.com/20160212/9f106f414ff48a9a7b24bda37eb071bc.jpg]

I was looking was looking for a way to add T-5's, I followed your lead and order 1 of these. Are you changing the bulbs or are you using the ones that came with it?

Right now I'll keep the bulbs as is. Once the tank cycles and I get some corals I'll evaluate. I have 1 actinic and 1 day light. I'll also have a pair of radions and I'll turn those to more blue spectrum depending on the T5. If I can avoid an extra $100 in T5 bulbs for the next few months then I'll do that.