2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Giveaway

olaggie01

Well, I guess since I got all of the equipment for free, I could buy a pair and still come out ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about one peppermint angel instead?

And a few bubble mushrooms for it to snack on?

• Like 1

...Or you could turn your fish room into a night club! Oose Oose Oose yahoo.gif Oose Oose Oose yahoo.gif

Pretty sure Ty has those blue prints

What a coincidence! I just ordered my Apex disco ball yesterday!
  • Like 1

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank [emoji12]

Hey Rob. Good to hear from you.

The tank is done. It's the sump and stand we are waiting on. I think the sump will be done next week. Not sure about the stand. Maybe another week or so.

I'll need some recommendations on the wrasses.

That's great Chris, you must be stoked to get it all setup. I've heard nothing but great things about the reef savvy tanks so it sounds like it'll all be worth the wait in the end. I'll definitely do my best to recommend some wrasses.

You could always start things off right with one of these attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice looking fish Rob. Care to fill me in? I'm sure it is a million dollar wrasse?

They got it anampses feminus (blue striped tamarin). They come around a few times a year on divers den and usually sell for around the $900-$1100 range. Which is a lot of $$$ for a fish, they are quite striking though. You would def be ballin if you got one of those guys, would need a sand bed though as they are sand sleepers.

Well, I guess since I got all of the equipment for free, I could buy a pair and still come out ahead?

How about one peppermint angel instead?

And a few bubble mushrooms for it to snack on?

Expensive snack for an expensive fish, talk about ballin...

Don't mention sand around ol'aggie. It increases his blood pressure!

All this talk of sand reminds me I need to update my will to include the wrasse and peppermint angel sanctuary.

Chris congrats on winning this bad boy!!! This is really gonna be quite the build can't wait for this to come together. Any word on the tank? I'm gonna have to agree with Ty you should go with a nice wrasse dominated tank [emoji12]

Hey Rob. Good to hear from you.

The tank is done. It's the sump and stand we are waiting on. I think the sump will be done next week. Not sure about the stand. Maybe another week or so.

I'll need some recommendations on the wrasses.

That's great Chris, you must be stoked to get it all setup. I've heard nothing but great things about the reef savvy tanks so it sounds like it'll all be worth the wait in the end. I'll definitely do my best to recommend some wrasses.

You could always start things off right with one of these attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice looking fish Rob. Care to fill me in? I'm sure it is a million dollar wrasse?

They got it anampses feminus (blue striped tamarin). They come around a few times a year on divers den and usually sell for around the $900-$1100 range. Which is a lot of $$$ for a fish, they are quite striking though. You would def be ballin if you got one of those guys, would need a sand bed though as they are sand sleepers.

Well, he's out. :)

I'm still unsure about sand in this tank. I like clean white sand but have never been able to achieve it in previous tanks

Anampses Wrasses have very poor survival rates in captivity anyway. They often get their mouths damaged in shipment or refuse to eat for some unknown reason. Sometimes ones that do begin to adapt to aquarium life start to waste away like Pencil Wrasses.

If you're going to get a status fish, then it has to be something that everyone knows is expensive. Gem Tang, I'm lookin' at you!

Yeah that does suck when that happens. That happened to the sand in my old tank. I remember reading somewhere that it happens for one of two reasons. Either alk and calcium are precipitating and turning it into a cement block. Or there is a bacteria that secretes substance that binds the grains.

Yeah that does suck when that happens. That happened to the sand in my old tank. I remember reading somewhere that it happens for one of two reasons. Either alk and calcium are precipitating and turning it into a cement block. Or there is a bacteria that secretes substance that binds the grains.

I'm pretty sure it's when sand becomes anaerobic and acidic it melts the aragonite and the alk and calcium then fuse together when it is not exported out of the sand bed. I could be wrong

• 1 month later...

The sump is nearly complete and the tank is just waiting on the sump to ship.

Stand is done. Just waiting on the canopy to be complete. Hopefully I'll see all the parts in the next few weeks

• Like 3

The sump is nearly complete and the tank is just waiting on the sump to ship.

Stand is done. Just waiting on the canopy to be complete. Hopefully I'll see all the parts in the next few weeks

Glad they are still making progress and good thing you're such a patient person.

• 1 month later...

Never have I been more frustrated with PVC than I was yesterday. The plan was to install a simple T in my water softener feed. I realized it was cpvc after I cut the line so back to Home Depot. Home Depot does not carry 1 inch cpvc fittings so off to Lowes. I did not realize that cpvc required special glue, so after the first blood it was back to Lowe's to pick up some quick fittings. After it dried overnight, with no water in the house, I got it turned on this installed this morning.

Looks great doesn't it???

2c0e06b161651a9c0b1cd2da44ff327e.jpg

c0973da62930ace02c8ac0172ca6c5a0.jpg

• Like 1

Haha oh man, been there! Sorry for your frustrating experience. I can't tell you how many projects I've done where I've gone back and forth to Home Depot, over to Lowes, to a specialty shop, and then ordered my item online because no one carries exactly what I needed. Best of luck with the rest, and congratulations on getting the water connected!

Edited by Gig 'em

Haha oh man, been there! Sorry for your frustrating experience. I can't tell you how many projects I've done where I've gone back and forth to Home Depot, over to Lowes, to a specialty shop, and then ordered my item online because no one carries exactly what I needed. Best of luck with the rest, and congratulations on getting the water connected!

That has been the first time where I've had a major flood like that when I thought I had everything set up correctly. Never knew about CPVC glue. Fittings just popped off like I never glued them. Frustrating to say the least.

Oh well, who needs running water in a house with a wife, 5.5 year old and a 2.5 year old plus a pair of dogs and fish. Went through a case of water real quick.

Yep, I think we've all had a day where nothing goes right with a project and multiple trips to the hardware store ensues.

So the tank has a crate, but does the tank itself exist yet? If so I think we need some pics!