Official Port Aransas Summer 2012 Trip

mFrame

Port Aransas Summer Trip details  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watermelon and canteloupe would be nice as well. In fact, I have a nice crop of canteloupe that should be producing at this time. Bettr than HEB

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

I'm looking at joining this year, arriving in time for the aquarium visit at 2pm and camping out Saturday night. Where do I look for information on camp sites? Sherita, you mentioned you might have space for a tent at your site??

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...

Super excited - just reserved a camp site at IB Magee Beach park. Never done a collecting trip before. What do I need to bring/have on hand? Do I need a fishing licence for the day? What about a pump/bubbler to keep critters alive???? I'm camping and I'll be honest - I don't really do that much either - so advice on what to bring for that would be good. So far I've got tent and mosquito repellent.

Please note the revised itenerary in the opening post and answer the following questions if you intend to go. Something like:

member: mframe

total weekend attendees: 3

(3) Participating in Build Your Own Breakfast Taco brunch on Saturday ($5pp)

( ) Texas State Aquarium & Tour

(2) Fishing/Crabbing collecting Saturday afternoon

( ) MAAST BBQ Dinner

( ) ARC Bonfire and seafood cookout ($10pp if you want to eat)

( ) Saturday night critter collecting

( ) Sunday morning brunch together

ARC Event T-shirts: (3) - 1 XL, 1 L, 1 M

ARC new club t-shirts (same logo, new dri-fit material): (3) - 1 XL, 1 L, 1 M

Event T-shirt design (back) - Approximately $15

arc shirt port a 2012-01.jpg

Club t-shirt design - Approximately $20

packages-0435602001328500236.png

I can give some generalities on a seafood cookout at the beach. I have three burners and more than three pots for shrimp and crab boils as well as fish fry setup.

I would be more than happpy to do a cookout at the beach. Because my transportation is unsettled at this time, I must depend on someone with transportation, peferably a truck for the large pots and burners. I had originally planned on going down to Port Aransas State Park on Wednsday to do both surf and bay fishing for a few days before the event. If I can not catch enough food to feed people we can buy fresh seafood at local markets in the area. Until I got a committment, I would not know how much food is required. While everyone does not eat seafood, it would be easy to grill sausage and burgers or kabobs.

I am flexible as to what could be done and would like to work with ARC staff and members to have a bodacious blowout.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Super excited - just reserved a camp site at IB Magee Beach park. Never done a collecting trip before. What do I need to bring/have on hand? Do I need a fishing licence for the day? What about a pump/bubbler to keep critters alive???? I'm camping and I'll be honest - I don't really do that much either - so advice on what to bring for that would be good. So far I've got tent and mosquito repellent.

Teresa,

Containers to hold water is important. Because of the heat, I recommend a container that fits in an ice chest. I like 5 gallon buckets. Put your name on it and keep it in an air conditioned room. You must have a battery operated air pump. These can be purchased for about $5 at WalMart in the fishing equpment area or at Academy. I plan on bringing a 16' sein which requires two people and is effective in grassflats and canals. I plan on purchasing a hand net with small mesh for catching grass shrimp in these same tidal flats.

Yes, you should get a fishing license for collecting. I always enjoy fishing, so I buy one each year. A one day "all waters" fishing license cost $11. A year "all water" fishing license cost $40. Because the year ends on Aug 31, it would not be a good deal to purchase.

I am not sure of the logistics, but I would be happy to hold your critters for you. I can also help with 5 gallon buckets. I suggest you buy two diaphram air pumps: one battery operated and one electric. I also recommend you get a good air mattress to be able to sleep on the ground.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

member: chippwalters

total weekend attendees: 1 (maybe 2, don't know at this time)

() Participating in Build Your Own Breakfast Taco brunch on Saturday ($5pp)

(1 ) Texas State Aquarium & Tour

(1) Fishing/Crabbing collecting Saturday afternoon

(1) MAAST BBQ Dinner

(1) ARC Bonfire and seafood cookout ($10pp if you want to eat)

(1) Saturday night critter collecting

Hi Chipp, some of the events you selected conflict: Aquarium tour and fish collecting Sat afternoon; and MAAST BBQ Dinner and ARC Bonfire. Just wanted to clarify for others planning their schedule that you might be able to do both but that you'll most likely miss part of each event if you're doing the other.

Hi Chipp, some of the events you selected conflict: Aquarium tour and fish collecting Sat afternoon; and MAAST BBQ Dinner and ARC Bonfire. Just wanted to clarify for others planning their schedule that you might be able to do both but that you'll most likely miss part of each event if you're doing the other.

Mike,

It would be helpful if you put time and date with the events. This would assist people with evaluating options.

I want to pipe in at this time and say that I am "stoked up" on "La bonne temps roulee".

Patrick

Mike,

It would be helpful if you put time and date with the events. This would assist people with evaluating options.

I want to pipe in at this time and say that I am "stoked up" on "La bonne temps roulee".

Patrick

There's an itinerary in the first post that is being continually updated. smile.png

In fact, we've just updated the following items:

*** Revisions ***

Saturday Day - I need to know who (if any) want to attend the State Aquarium and tour, as a reservation has to be made in advance. My family has decided that after having done the SeaWorld tour we would rather just enjoy the beach and fish/collect on that Saturday afternoon.

Saturday Night - MAAST will be using the Beachgate meeting room for the BBQ dinner with speaker Paul Whitby of High Definition Corals. His topic will be pests in the marine aquarium and how to recognize and treat them. There is a cost of $25 to attend (MAAST has been generous enough to offer a discounted rate of $7.50 per adult (13+) for ARC Premium Members, or free for attendee and one guest if a MAAST charter member) . Please respond in this thread if you plan to attend (and total head count).

OR

ARC will be hosting an alternate bonfire on the beach. Our own subsea (Patrick) has offered to cook for us. The plan is that some of us will fish and crab Saturday afternoon. Assuming we catch enough, we'll cook what we catch at the bonfire. Assuming we don't, we'll augment our catch from the store and still cook at the bonfire, with cost being about $10 per person to eat at the bonfire. Who is interested in this option? Please respond in this thread if you plan to attend (and total head count).

I will also be ordering T-shirts, so please let me know if you're interested in the new club dri-fit tshirts or in the event t-shirts (limited number), shirts will be $20 each. I don't want to end up with extras, so please list quantities and sizes if you want them! They will be available in blue or kelly green with white printing.

Hey guys as an update, when you head down (especially if you leave ANY TIME after about 10am on Friday, or plan to arrive in Port A before midnight), make sure you check the ferry wait time here before proceeding to the ferry line: http://www.cityofportaransas.org/txdot/status.pdf

Recently they've had a couple ferrys out, and it has been gridlock trying to get into Port A on Fridays (talking ferry waits upwards of 2 hours).

If the wait is 45 min or more, I highly suggest driving around/ through Corpus into Port A.

Hey guys as an update, when you head down (especially if you leave ANY TIME after about 10am on Friday, or plan to arrive in Port A before midnight), make sure you check the ferry wait time here before proceeding to the ferry line: http://www.cityofpor...xdot/status.pdf

Recently they've had a couple ferrys out, and it has been gridlock trying to get into Port A on Fridays (talking ferry waits upwards of 2 hours).

If the wait is 45 min or more, I highly suggest driving around/ through Corpus into Port A.

Great tip, thanks for sharing!

member: dapettit

total weekend attendees: 3

(3) Participating in Build Your Own Breakfast Taco brunch on Saturday ($5pp)

(3) Fishing/Crabbing collecting Saturday afternoon

( ) MAAST BBQ Dinner

(3) ARC Bonfire and seafood cookout ($10pp if you want to eat)

(3) Saturday night critter collecting

Couple questions:

1. If I elect to attend the ARC bonfire dinner, are there other MAAST events I can attend that weekend to get to know people from that club? Will they be in attendance at the Texas State Aquarium?

2. My boyfriend really wants for us to be able to ride his motorcycle down to the coast. I think this is a great idea, but we won't be able to bring the equipment I need for critter collecting on Saturday night and we won't be able to bring them back to Austin on his bike either. Is there anyone attending the event that would be willing to transport my bucket of collecting materials down to the shore and then bring the critters back with them to Austin for me to pick up Sunday night? Please either respond here or pm me.

Thanks!!

PS - Thanks Patrick for all the good info on critter collecting :)

Hi Mike,

I'd prefer the Aquarium tour and the ARC Bonfire.

Member: Teresa

Total weekend attendees: 2

Saturday Morning:

(2) Participating in Build Your Own Breakfast Taco brunch on Saturday ($5pp)

Saturday Afternoon:

(2) Texas State Aquarium & Tour

OR

( ) Fishing/Crabbing collecting Saturday afternoon

Saturday Dinner

( ) MAAST BBQ Dinner

OR

(2) ARC Bonfire and seafood cookout ($10pp if you want to eat)

Saturday Night

(2) Saturday night critter collecting

Sunday Morning

(2) Sunday morning brunch together

ARC Event T-shirts: (2) - 1 M, 1 S

ARC new club t-shirts (same logo, new dri-fit material): (1) - 1 S

When do I need to pay for the different events/items and who do I pay?

Couple questions:

1. If I elect to attend the ARC bonfire dinner, are there other MAAST events I can attend that weekend to get to know people from that club? Will they be in attendance at the Texas State Aquarium?

2. My boyfriend really wants for us to be able to ride his motorcycle down to the coast. I think this is a great idea, but we won't be able to bring the equipment I need for critter collecting on Saturday night and we won't be able to bring them back to Austin on his bike either. Is there anyone attending the event that would be willing to transport my bucket of collecting materials down to the shore and then bring the critters back with them to Austin for me to pick up Sunday night? Please either respond here or pm me.

Thanks!!

PS - Thanks Patrick for all the good info on critter collecting smile.png

Teresa,

If you goto www.maast.org and go under announcements, you will see the Port A thread. Hope this helpssmile.png

member: Dena

total weekend attendees: 2

(2) Participating in Build Your Own Breakfast Taco brunch on Saturday ($5pp)

( ) Fishing/Crabbing collecting Saturday afternoon

(2) MAAST BBQ Dinner

( ) ARC Bonfire and seafood cookout ($10pp if you want to eat)

(2) Saturday night critter collecting

Crabing with a hand line is great fun for young and old. Chicken necks work well for bait.

For me, boiled crabs are my favorite seafood, followed by crawfish and shrimp. I planned on buying some crabs and shrimp to provide assurance of a meal.

Patrick

As an adult, I remember family outings crabing in a salt water canal near Cameron, La.

One person could keep up with a dozen baits. Once you realized something was pulling the string out, the net would be positioned on the bottom. Then we would pull the string with bait and crab over the net to be picked up with a swift motion. Sometimes, the crabs were so hungry they would come out of the water to get the bait. Sometimes, you were the bait.

When I was in elementary school, our family of ten children would go to Grande Island, La for a two week vacation. My father and two older brothers would go fishing in the inland bays. He also pulled a shrimp trawl with his boat. Guided by marina personnel, he found a deep spot for catching crabs but was cautioned to only drag the net for ten minutes. After 30 minutes of pulling net with the boat, it was not possible to retrieve net with live catch into the boat. They secured as much net into boat as possible and dragged the net to marina dock. A dockside winch was required to pull net out of the water. When the catch bag was untied, the crabs overflowed the bins to contain them and many returned to the water. We kept more than 20 bushels of crabs with about 20 dozen crabs in a bushel. We eat and cleaned crabs fo a week.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Archived