Official Port Aransas Summer 2012 Trip

mFrame

Port Aransas Summer Trip details  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you camped there before?

I had planned on arriving early Thursday afternoon. I have not finanized plans on where to camp out. I like the Texas State Parks and have a year pass for all state parks. All fishing license restrictions are waived if you fish in the State Park.

I had hoped to boil up some shrimp for a beach party on Friday night. It depends on the offshore winds and the mosquitoe populations.

Patrick

I'll be over at Goose Island State Park in Rockport.

Is Goose Island where the oldest Live Oak Tree in the State of Texas is? Patrick

The Big Tree is not far from Goose Island, and you simply cannot grasp how big that thing is. And it's the largest live oak tree in the WORLD.

And yes, I have camped there before, many times. It's the ONLY state park I will camp at on the coast. If you stay there, get on Lantana Loop or one of the side roads off of it. Stay away from the 8 surfside spots, they are horrible......no shade, unlevel, really windy. Anything on the loop will make for fantastic camping. I'll be down a few days ahead of time, if anyone wants to get together. BTW, the night fishing at Goose Island is fantastic.

I actually have seen the Goose Island Oak Tree. It is some kind of awesome big. Three years ago, I meditated amonst its branches to come to the painful decision of a divorce after a 38 year marriage.

What kind of fish are caught at night? Do people flounder gig at night? Or is that a winter thing?

Patrick

Patrick, I usually limit out on speckled trout at night, also one can catch flounder, bull reds and an occasional shark. Stingrays are also on the menu (and good to eat as well).

The Big Tree is just not describable.

You got my attention with the speckled trout. I may need to extend the campout part of this trip. The salt water inland esturaries are 100 times more productive than our wheat harvest production. I have fished for speckled trout using ultra light tackle. Without a doubt, using ultra light tackle and fly fishing equipment makes inland fishing for me an adrenaline adventure. I loook forward to this campout. I hope to scount this out before the ARC gathering.

Patrick

Patrick, also in the early mornings just after daybreak Sheepshead are good on small crabs or cut up crab. Last time down I caught one that measured in at over 2'. He was mighty tasty too. Specks at night hit on live shrimp, cast on an uweighted line with a fast retrieve. I run a double rig, and bring in two almost every time. Bring a cooler for your fish, if you leave them in the water, the dolphins will steal them.

I also know of a honey hole for gafftopsail catfish, if the tides are right. Caught a mangrove snapper at this location three years ago, he must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Packery Channel on the island is good at night for bull reds and black drum, can be good during the day for specks, saw a monster pulled out of their two years ago.

North jetty is good for shark, stingray, bull red, sometimes black drum. Frustrating fishing there tho, lots of lost tackle because of the rocks. At the wrong time of year, the stingrays will drive you crazy, but they are good to eat.

For anyone making the trip, being on the pier at Goose Island in the early morning light is a must see. Last year, Carol and I saw :a huge flounder, monster schools of sheepshead, two big reds, lots of specks, mullet, ladyfish, crabs...........and a lot more.

Patrick, if you are down early, you are welcome to join me at my trailer for a meal and conversation. I won't be hard to find, just look for the classic (26 years old!) Kit Road Ranger 18' trailer and the red/cream 80's model Ford 4wd that's uglier than a mud fence. The truck is my beach rat, and it shows.

You sound like an accomplished marinar. When the ship goes down, I want to be in your lifeboat. I have fished inland bays and Deep Blue Water most of my life. I look forward to the conversation. I also enjoy cooking and eating, in addittion to conversation.

Patrick

With respect to Texas State Parks, I have a one year park pass. What ever car that I am in, all passengers get day passes. With a day pass, one does not need a fishing license as long as you stay in the park.

Patrick

Patrick, also in the early mornings just after daybreak Sheepshead are good on small crabs or cut up crab. Last time down I caught one that measured in at over 2'. He was mighty tasty too. Specks at night hit on live shrimp, cast on an uweighted line with a fast retrieve. I run a double rig, and bring in two almost every time. Bring a cooler for your fish, if you leave them in the water, the dolphins will steal them.

I also know of a honey hole for gafftopsail catfish, if the tides are right. Caught a mangrove snapper at this location three years ago, he must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Packery Channel on the island is good at night for bull reds and black drum, can be good during the day for specks, saw a monster pulled out of their two years ago.

North jetty is good for shark, stingray, bull red, sometimes black drum. Frustrating fishing there tho, lots of lost tackle because of the rocks. At the wrong time of year, the stingrays will drive you crazy, but they are good to eat.

For anyone making the trip, being on the pier at Goose Island in the early morning light is a must see. Last year, Carol and I saw :a huge flounder, monster schools of sheepshead, two big reds, lots of specks, mullet, ladyfish, crabs...........and a lot more.

Patrick, if you are down early, you are welcome to join me at my trailer for a meal and conversation. I won't be hard to find, just look for the classic (26 years old!) Kit Road Ranger 18' trailer and the red/cream 80's model Ford 4wd that's uglier than a mud fence. The truck is my beach rat, and it shows.

I have always enjoyed dawn on the water. I have spent more than 15 actual years living on the water on ships and deepwater drilling rigs. No better way to wake up to the day.

It has been 30 years since I have seen a Gafttop Catfish. I caught some in a school of fish in Blue Water about 50 miles offshore.

Patrick

I would love to join you all for the night fishing if I would be allowed. My rockport house is within 10 minutes of the state park, if you need hot showers or anything your welcome over :)

I would love to join you all for the night fishing if I would be allowed. My rockport house is within 10 minutes of the state park, if you need hot showers or anything your welcome over smile.png

Chris, I suspect that the park is locked up at night between 10PM and 5AM. I will check it out. With the annual Texas Park Pass that I have, whatever car that I am in, all passengers get day park passes.

Patrick

We've hit our goal of 10 room bookings between us and MAAST, which means that we get the use of the BeachGate meeting room on 7/27 and 7/28. I'm not sure exactly what amenities are available there, but it'll provide a nice air conditioned place for us to meet up.

Who is interested in doing the build-your-own breakfast taco bar there for brunch on Saturday? I'm not sure what access we'll have to a kitchen, so worst case we can cook in the room I have rented and deliver food to the meeting room. What I'm asking for is volunteers to help run it (cooking, helping serve, etc.), assuming there is interest in doing this. If not breakfast tacos, other ideas?

What I'm asking for is volunteers to help run it (cooking, helping serve, etc.), assuming there is interest in doing this.

Robin & I will be glad to help, sounds like fun!

I would love to join you all for the night fishing if I would be allowed. My rockport house is within 10 minutes of the state park, if you need hot showers or anything your welcome over smile.png

Chris, I suspect that the park is locked up at night between 10PM and 5AM. I will check it out. With the annual Texas Park Pass that I have, whatever car that I am in, all passengers get day park passes.

Patrick

It is, but normally they give out the gate code so you can get back out. Getting back in is not nearly as easy.

Bio, please join us. Once I get settled I will post/text my lot number. There will be room on my site for at least one tent, if anyone is so inclined. The park also has WONDERFUL bath houses, very clean, recently remodeled, plenty of hot water. Also found in the state park, plenty of mosquitoes. Bring your OFF, lest you be very sorry.

I plan on being down at least 3 days in advance. I'm taking my beach rat 4wd, and will be making at least one trip to Big Shell beach (4wd ONLY). If anyone cares to join me, you are welcome to come along. We will get stuck, but we will also get out. If we can get far enough out, there is fantastic beachcombing down there.

Patrick, my son works in the oilfield. Landbased rigs right now, but he has hopes of going offshore. Crude runs in the veins of my family for several generations back.

Sherita, I will arrive atleast 1 day early to make sure i have time to come visit, perhaps 3 like you. This is going to be a lot of fun! If there are any house amenities you would require you just come on over!

This is shaping up to be some kind of fun. I just did spend three days camped out at Kerrville Folk Music Fest. The thin rubber mat that I used did not cut the comfrot test. I will be getting a queen size air mattress at Wal-Mart for this trip. Not sure about a tent from WalMart. I really just wanted mosquitoe netting to maximaze air circulation. I will also look at Academy.

Patrick

We've hit our goal of 10 room bookings between us and MAAST, which means that we get the use of the BeachGate meeting room on 7/27 and 7/28. I'm not sure exactly what amenities are available there, but it'll provide a nice air conditioned place for us to meet up.

Who is interested in doing the build-your-own breakfast taco bar there for brunch on Saturday? I'm not sure what access we'll have to a kitchen, so worst case we can cook in the room I have rented and deliver food to the meeting room. What I'm asking for is volunteers to help run it (cooking, helping serve, etc.), assuming there is interest in doing this. If not breakfast tacos, other ideas?

Boudain and scrambled eggs would go well with breakfast tocos. Patrick

Boudain and scrambled eggs would go well with breakfast tocos. I would also recommend watermelon and canteloupe. Patrick

Just curious if everyone thought breakfast tacos was a good idea or if there were other "non-cooking" breakfast alternatives. Pricing will be set to break even on ingredients...

Archived