Official Port Aransas Summer 2012 Trip

mFrame

Port Aransas Summer Trip details  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our first ARC Coast trip will be July 28th, 2012, the same weekend MAAST is going. We're communicating with them to try and sync up on our activities. Please chime in with your headcount if you intend to go on that weekend, as we'll be negotiating a hotel deal. The more that plan to rent a room the better rate we'll get.

The itinerary will look something like this:

Friday - 7/27

Check-in to hotel (see details below)

Saturday - 7/28

7:15am - 9:30pm --ARC "Build your own Breakfast Taco" at the Beachgate meeting room.

8:00am - 12: 00pm -- Arrival for people who did not come in Friday night

2:00pm -- Texas State Aquarium trip OR Fishing and Collecting off the Jetty

6:00pm -- MAAST barbecue dinner OR ARC Bonfire on the Beach (details below)

7:00pm -- Head out to the jettys for critter collecting while there is still light

Sunday - 7/29

?? - ?? -- ARC breakfast together?

Hotel checkout

Return home

Texas State Aquarium details:

• Discounted group rate for parties of 10 or more. The rates for a Self Guided Tour are discounted to $9.25/ Children (ages 3-12) and $14.25/ Adults. This is discounted from the standard rates of $11.95/ Children and $16.95/ Adults.
  • Depending on the program, the minimum ages differ. There is no minimum age for a Self-Guided Tour.
  • In order to receive these rates we must make a reservation ahead of time and make one payment upon arrival for the entire group.

Hotel details:

• Beachgate CondoSuites & Motel has responded with their rates. They are offering a 5% discount for ARC/MAAST members. If we book 10 rooms we get the use of their meeting room waived.
  • Two room types available, condo or motel. Rates listed are the total for two nights (requires Fri and Sat booking)
  • Motel 1 bed (2 max adults) - $266 1st floor, $285 2nd floor
  • Motel 2 bed (4 max adults) - $304 1st /$323 2nd
  • Condo 1 bed, 2 futons (4 max adults) - $427.50 1st/ $446.50 2nd
  • Condo 2 bed, 3 futons (7 max adults) - $560.50 1st / $579.50 2nd
  • Condo 3 bed, 3 futons (9 max adults) - $693.50 1st/ $712.50 2nd
  • Condo 4 bed, 4 futons (12 max adults) - $1159

Please answer each of the poll questions if you definitely intend to go. If you aren't sure yet, don't take the poll. There's no need to post in this thread if you won't be able to make it this time. I need to get accurate headcounts to figure out how large of a discount we can get for our activities.

I will continue to update this post with details as they come in.

*** Revisions ***

Saturday Day - I need to know who (if any) want to attend the State Aquarium and tour, as a reservation has to be made in advance. My family has decided that after having done the SeaWorld tour we would rather just enjoy the beach and fish/collect on that Saturday afternoon.

Saturday Night - MAAST will be using the Beachgate meeting room for the BBQ dinner with speaker Paul Whitby of High Definition Corals. His topic will be pests in the marine aquarium and how to recognize and treat them. There is a cost of $25 to attend (MAAST has been generous enough to offer a discounted rate of $7.50 per adult (13+) for ARC Premium Members, or free for attendee and one guest if a MAAST charter member) . Please respond in this thread if you plan to attend (and total head count).

OR

ARC will be hosting an alternate bonfire on the beach. Our own subsea (Patrick) has offered to cook for us. The plan is that some of us will fish and crab Saturday afternoon. Assuming we catch enough, we'll cook what we catch at the bonfire. Assuming we don't, we'll augment our catch from the store and still cook at the bonfire, with cost being about $10 per person to eat at the bonfire. Who is interested in this option? Please respond in this thread if you plan to attend (and total head count).

I will also be ordering T-shirts, so please let me know if you're interested in the new club dri-fit tshirts or in the event t-shirts (limited number), shirts will be $20 each. I don't want to end up with extras, so please list quantities and sizes if you want them! They will be available in blue or kelly green with white printing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an inquiry, I'm not voting, I don't need a hotel as I've got tons of points with one chain and can stay there for free. I have like 2 weeks saved up! biggrin.png Not interested in the Aquarium as I've done that a few times already. Plus, I may not even be able to roll into town until later on Saturday.

But.... I'm totally down for the jettty collecting trip. I'm assuming it won't be a problem to meet up with y'all at the jetties, and participate in that portion only. Correct?

If that is cool, I'll need to know when and where to meet y'all.

Mike,

The poll won't let me answer just 1 question. We will have 4 for the State Aquarium but we have already rented a house.

Added options so that you can select 0 for either question.

Just an inquiry, I'm not voting, I don't need a hotel as I've got tons of points with one chain and can stay there for free. I have like 2 weeks saved up! biggrin.png Not interested in the Aquarium as I've done that a few times already. Plus, I may not even be able to roll into town until later on Saturday.

But.... I'm totally down for the jettty collecting trip. I'm assuming it won't be a problem to meet up with y'all at the jetties, and participate in that portion only. Correct?

If that is cool, I'll need to know when and where to meet y'all.

Yes, we'll be posting the hotel location and itenerary, so you should be able to find us and meet up for whichever portions you choose.

That said, how many of you are interested in purchasing "ARC Coast Trip 2012" shirts to make us look like an obnoxious vacation group? :D

Ok guys, a few points and questions to ask:

I'm getting back preliminary hotel quotes with our "group" rates. We're looking at $150-200 per night with a two night commitment(Friday/Saturday) if you want a hotel. Almost all the hotels I've spoken to will not do a single night booking until Thursday of that week because it is their busy season. This puts hotel cost at $300-400 for the weekend, plus food and incidentals. There is the option to do as Subsea mentioned and to take a tent and camp out, which should be much cheaper.

MAAST will be holding a BBQ Saturday night. They charge for admission, and I'm going to talk to them with our head-count (to make sure they would have enough food) and see if we can join them.

I was thinking we could hold a Saturday breakfast brunch and either the ARC staff would make breakfast tacos or we can see about having it catered. It would probably cost $5 per person.

• How many of you are interested in booking rooms given the above cost?
  • How many of you are interested in attending an ARC brunch early Saturday?

Any other obvious questions you see me missing?

*bump* hotel details added to first post.

Please respond if you plan to book a room so I can track our headcount. Be sure to mention ARC when you book your room.

Mike,

I am interested in going for three nights, arriving the coast on Thursday. I am still planning on camping out. I would hope, I could borrow the use of a hot shower by Saturday from someone with a room. The ARC Saturday brunch sounds good. I would be available to help with that. I have equipment to cook up shrimp and crabs at the beach, if that could be a group function. I am flexible.

It was my desire to do some surf fishing in some of the inland flats with marsh grasses. I will bring my canoe with me, but I have found that wading is best for collecting. I also prefer wade fishing with a fly rod. It makes for fine sport. If people are game for it, we could crab with string hand lines. In any case, I am pumped up for the coast.

Patrick

While you guys are leaving the coast (or entering if you want the guided tour), I would also suggest checking out the NERR/UTMSI wetlands lab! Its a saltmarsh with boardwalks and free guided tours. Something fun and educational for the kids and right on the way to the ferry.

http://www.missionaransas.org/visit_hours.html

Mike,

I am interested in going for three nights, arriving the coast on Thursday. I am still planning on camping out. I would hope, I could borrow the use of a hot shower by Saturday from someone with a room. The ARC Saturday brunch sounds good. I would be available to help with that. I have equipment to cook up shrimp and crabs at the beach, if that could be a group function. I am flexible.

It was my desire to do some surf fishing in some of the inland flats with marsh grasses. I will bring my canoe with me, but I have found that wading is best for collecting. I also prefer wade fishing with a fly rod. It makes for fine sport. If people are game for it, we could crab with string hand lines. In any case, I am pumped up for the coast.

Patrick

Patrick,

I will be staying at my house in Rockport during this adventure. Your more than welcome to shower or anything else at the house :)

Chris

Will the BBQ and the jetty collection trip be on the island (Port A)? Because if that's the case, I might be able to join in. I'll be in Port Aransas for most of July at the UT MSI for school, hopefully my professor will cut me loose :)

Will the BBQ and the jetty collection trip be on the island (Port A)? Because if that's the case, I might be able to join in. I'll be in Port Aransas for most of July at the UT MSI for school, hopefully my professor will cut me loose smile.png

Yes, both are on the island. Better yet, ask your Profession to come along. :)

[*]Beachgate CondoSuites & Motel has responded with their rates. They are offering a 5% discount for ARC/MAAST members. If we book 10 rooms we get the use of their meeting room waived.

[*]Two room types available, condo or motel. Rates listed are the total for two nights (requires Fri and Sat booking)

[*]Motel 1 bed (2 max adults) - $266 1st floor, $285 2nd floor

[*]Motel 2 bed (4 max adults) - $304 1st /$323 2nd

[*]Condo 1 bed, 2 futons (4 max adults) - $427.50 1st/ $446.50 2nd

[*]Condo 2 bed, 3 futons (7 max adults) - $560.50 1st / $579.50 2nd

[*]Condo 3 bed, 3 futons (9 max adults) - $693.50 1st/ $712.50 2nd

[*]Condo 4 bed, 4 futons (12 max adults) - $1159

Please answer each of the poll questions if you definitely intend to go. If you aren't sure yet, don't take the poll. There's no need to post in this thread if you won't be able to make it this time. I need to get accurate headcounts to figure out how large of a discount we can get for our activities.

I will continue to update this post with details as they come in.

FWIW, I booked a 2 room 2nd story Motel and the price was about $50 more than the number you gave even WITH the ARC/MAAST discount. Is there anyone I can talk to who can confirm the above rates? The person at Beachgate said those quoted prices are not correct. Thanks!

Chip,

When I booked I was told it was an additonal $50 becasue it was upstairs. I checked there site and sure enough it is. Think that is why there is a $50 price increase.

Here's the quote from Mike Kuhn, the General Manager

post-884-0-57139100-1337541972_thumb.jpg

Mike Kuhn

General Manager

Beachgate CondoSuites & Hotel

“ON the Beach in Port Aransas, TX”

[email protected]

(210) 865-2340

(210) 547-9575 Fax

Please let me know if you are told any differently and I will contact him if need be.

Thanks Mike (and Dave). Mike, I sent you a PM with the details of my reservation. It say 'hotel' not 'motel' but the lady I talked to said they are one and the same. Let me know if you need me to follow up. Thanks!

Archived