Official Port Aransas Summer 2012 Trip

mFrame

Port Aransas Summer Trip details  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Requirement age is 17. Under 17 does not require a license.

For jetty collecting, I think that a dip net is the best option. Get small mesh. Bio mentioned a store close to the beach for stuff of this nature at an economical price.

Dave, I would like to get together with you and Mike on planning some of the events at Port A. Is Sunday evening good with you?

Patrick

Hi there, My name is Randy and I am a member of the Southeast Texas Reef Society, we are a small group of Reefers from the SE texas SW louisiana area, I am going to be Staying on Padre this weekend and would like to meet some fellow reefers, if the wind and surf cooperates I will be trying to collect some stuff myself along with trying to catch some trout etc. It sounds like y'all and Maast have a pretty good following, like I say we are small but trying to grow. If we can my wife and I would like to maybe join in on the collecting.

Randy

Sorry if I repeat anything that's already been answered. This is a long thread!

Are there enough people going to the aquarium for the discount?

Do we prepay for the breakfast and bonfire cookout?

I have 3 coming on the trip:

3 for breakfast Sat

1 for jetty collecting/fishing

2 for aquarium (1 of which is a toddler)

3 for the bonfire

My husband would like to do any and all fishing and collecting he can, I don't know if I missed any plans in this thread :)

We'd love to do breakfast Sunday, I don't know if that's happening or not.

We're super excited to share in the fun!

Belinda, I and the kids are relaxing in Port A. Staying in a beautiful house 20' from the water (in a cove). CJ caught a nice sized drum the 1st five minutes we were fishing. Only thing that is missing in Dena and Jason who couldn't make it. sad.png We hope Thunder is doing better and we miss y'all.

See everyone else later this week.

post-398-0-76216500-1343190846_thumb.jpe

C.J. has a big smile on his face. That is a pretty red drum (red fish). I plan on fishing with ultralight tackle. With 2 lb test line, that fish would be a blast to catch.

See you'll in a few days.

Patrick

Sorry if I repeat anything that's already been answered. This is a long thread!

Are there enough people going to the aquarium for the discount?

Do we prepay for the breakfast and bonfire cookout?

I have 3 coming on the trip:

3 for breakfast Sat

1 for jetty collecting/fishing

2 for aquarium (1 of which is a toddler)

3 for the bonfire

My husband would like to do any and all fishing and collecting he can, I don't know if I missed any plans in this thread :)

We'd love to do breakfast Sunday, I don't know if that's happening or not.

We're super excited to share in the fun!

Kim,

Many of ARC group will be arriving Friday, early afternoon. No scheduled ARC activities. MAST has a bonfire at the beach on Friday night. Good opportunity to meet our siser club members.

Saturday Events:

No ARC discount for Aquarium. MAST has a group going at 10AM. Starting at 8AM, ARC breakfast will be in hotel conference room which has a kitchen and extra full size refrigerators. It should begin at 8AM. You could pay at that time. Talk with Mike Frame, I am staying away from the money. The rest of the day will be fishing, crabbing or collecting. In the evening I will host an outdoor cookout using hotel picnic area and fish cleaning facility. If you caught something that you want cooked, the fish cleaning area is available. If people do not know how to do this, I will be happy to assist them. Also at this time, for people that do not like seafood, hotdogs and hamburgers will be available. Also at his time, for those that want a bodacious seafood banquet, we can pool our money and buy shrimp and crabs from local seafood market. I have boiling pots, frying pots and propane burners. We will "pass a good time". MAST banquet with speaker is in the same meeting room as breakfast, I think, beginning at 7 PM.

After outdoor cookout and MAST banquet, critter collecting at the South Jetty. I am staying at McGee Park next to lighted fishing pier and walking distance to South Jetty. I will host a bonfire on the beach until dawn (maybe/maybe not).

Sunday morning we can finish up breakfast supplies so no leftovers. Bonfire is no chare. We are still looking for someone with a truck to pick up firewood at my house to carry to the coast. Sunday breakfast is no charge.

To sum it up: LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.

Patrick

Just a few changes to Patrick's post:

Friday - 7/27

Check-in to hotel

MAAST Bonfire on the beach

Saturday - 7/28

7:15am - 9:30pm --ARC "Build your own Breakfast Taco" at the Beachgate meeting room. $5pp, pay at the door

8:00am - 12: 00pm -- Arrival for people who did not come in Friday night

2:00pm -- Texas State Aquarium trip OR Fishing and Collecting off the Jetty - We did not have enough advance interest to justify booking a club visit to the Aquarium, so we will not be eligible for the discounted group rate.

6:00pm -- MAAST barbecue dinner OR ARC Bonfire on the Beach (burgers and dogs or Bring Your Own and we'll cook it)

7:00pm -- Head out to the jettys for critter collecting while there is still light

9:00pm -- ARC bonfire

Sunday - 7/29

8am -- ARC breakfast together, no charge. This will be great time to eat up all our leftovers

Hotel checkout

C.J. has a big smile on his face. That is a pretty red drum (red fish). I plan on fishing with ultralight tackle. With 2 lb test line, that fish would be a blast to catch.

Patrick

I could not imagine that fight on real light tackle (but I wouldn't mind finding out).

Our daughter Hannah just caught a very nice red fish.

post-398-0-23029100-1343309258_thumb.jpg

See you soon.

Just a heads-up for anyone that wants to do the Aquarium visit and Tour. MAAST has a small group going and said they would love to combine with our interested members to try to qualify for the discount. If you're interested, please feel free to post in their board to tagalong.

http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?70848-2012-MAAST-Port-A-Collection-trip-July-27-29&p=869712#post869712

Patrick

I could not imagine that fight on real light tackle (but I wouldn't mind finding out).

See you soon.

Way to go Haanah. That fish looks like a "Court Bouillion" in the making.

I used 4 lb test to catch 4 lb speckled trout. A red fish has more fight than a speckled trout. Pound for pound, I would compare a red drum fight to a yellow fin tuna. Where are you'll fishing and what are you using for bait?

Green with envy,

Patrick

Wood for bonfire will be in transit to beach Thursday nite. I will have propane burner with ability to fry or boil seafood. When it comes to a Cajun and a party, cooking is what he does best.

La bonne bemps roulee,

Patrick

Patrick

See you soon.

Way to go Haanah. That fish looks like a "Court Bouillion" in the making.

I used 4 lb test to catch 4 lb speckled trout. A red fish has more fight than a speckled trout. Pound for pound, I would compare a red drum fight to a yellow fin tuna. Where are you'll fishing and what are you using for bait?

Green with envy,

Patrick

Cj caught his on frozen shrimp. Hannah caught her's on frozen mullet. Both were caught off the boat dock that is part of this community where we rented our house (right off FM 361).

We were so bummed to have had to cancel last minute. I really needed this trip and had been sooo looking forward to it. We had just bought our fishing licenses, paid for our portion of the house, new fishing poles...you name it and we were ready for this one.

Unfortunately late Saturday night 7/21 one of my Rotts (Thunder) bloated and his stomach twisted. This boy is my baby...the attention hog to people that come to visit. Some of you have met him. At midnight they started emergency surgery to un-twist his stomach and tack it to the inside of him so it doesn't twist in the future. They also had to cut into his stomach to remove his heavy dinner. It made the top of my most stressful life moments. The only saving grace was that I noticed it right away and none of his organs were damaged, increasing his survival. I have had three friends that have had dogs bloat and none of them made it...two made it out of surgery, but passed within the following few days. It was so hard to stay positive. When we got him home, every movement or sound he made, I jumped. I've been sleeping on a chair and ottoman all week next to the exercise pen we got for him.

He is doing well and eating wonderfully, but I couldn't leave him. He needed lots of supervision the first couple of days and the surgery cost us $3200 plus another $1,000 throughout the week on follow-ups, supplies to keep him comfortable, food, supplements.

I hope everyone had a great time. If we can recover from this financially, we are hoping to make a short trip somewhere in the next couple of mths....I still want to go to Port A. This is our only vacation we take. I was planning it the day we got home from it last year! Miss spending this time with Chad, Belinda and the kids!!!

Dena

Belinda, I and the kids are relaxing in Port A. Staying in a beautiful house 20' from the water (in a cove). CJ caught a nice sized drum the 1st five minutes we were fishing. Only thing that is missing in Dena and Jason who couldn't make it. sad.png We hope Thunder is doing better and we miss y'all.

Anybody have any pics from Port A? Any stories?

We managed to do more fishing in a week than we have done in 3 years. We got to catch several speckeled trout, perch, catfish looking fish (and they hurt just as bad), red fish and a few I have not a clue as to what they were and one I would rather forget I ever saw.

We got to visit Fire It Ceramics (a must everytime we go, thanks to Jason and Dena...lol), lot's of day collecting as well as plenty of time at the beach.

We were so bummed to have had to cancel last minute. I really needed this trip and had been sooo looking forward to it. We had just bought our fishing licenses, paid for our portion of the house, new fishing poles...you name it and we were ready for this one.

Unfortunately late Saturday night 7/21 one of my Rotts (Thunder) bloated and his stomach twisted. This boy is my baby...the attention hog to people that come to visit. Some of you have met him. At midnight they started emergency surgery to un-twist his stomach and tack it to the inside of him so it doesn't twist in the future. They also had to cut into his stomach to remove his heavy dinner. It made the top of my most stressful life moments. The only saving grace was that I noticed it right away and none of his organs were damaged, increasing his survival. I have had three friends that have had dogs bloat and none of them made it...two made it out of surgery, but passed within the following few days. It was so hard to stay positive. When we got him home, every movement or sound he made, I jumped. I've been sleeping on a chair and ottoman all week next to the exercise pen we got for him.

He is doing well and eating wonderfully, but I couldn't leave him. He needed lots of supervision the first couple of days and the surgery cost us $3200 plus another $1,000 throughout the week on follow-ups, supplies to keep him comfortable, food, supplements.

I hope everyone had a great time. If we can recover from this financially, we are hoping to make a short trip somewhere in the next couple of mths....I still want to go to Port A. This is our only vacation we take. I was planning it the day we got home from it last year! Miss spending this time with Chad, Belinda and the kids!!!

Dena

I'm so sorry to hear about Thunder. He is in my thoughts. Patrick, Kim and Brad got to meet my pups this weekend in Port A - they are like my kids - I can't imagine one of them not being around. Please keep us updated on Thunder's progress.

I think a good time was had by all who made it down to the surf and sand. Special thanks to all the gang who attended the breakfast, bbq, and bonfire. I was really sorry to hear about Thunder, Dena, we'd looked forward to seeing ya'll there. It's great you were able to get him help so quickly though!

For those of you who didn't make it, or those who did but didn't get to swing by, I have 4 exclusive 1st Annual ARC Coast Trip shirts left, $20 each. PM me if you're interested.

Archived