Headless_donkey

Headless_donkey

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got to take some FTS. We also have some new fish. We got a male/female of bird wrasses. They are doing great, eating like pigs, and very hard to photograph. In fact, they eat some much their names are Kermit and Ms. Piggy. We also got two hydor koralia 4s. They put out tons of good flow. 4200 gallons per hour total including the mag 18. Fish like 42x turnover rate. I know the chords hanging down don't look nice. I am planning on fixing that this 3 day weekend. So far the water parameters have been perfect including very few nitrates(gotta love that Euro-reef!). Enough yacking here are the pictures:

100_2245.jpg

Kermit

100_2189.jpg

Kermit and the crab(he's under the rock on the left)

100_2224.jpg

Ms. Piggy

100_2214.jpg

The pigs together

100_2204.jpg

Super sweet tiger cowry

100_2192.jpg

Those were the best of the group. Boy howdy, fish are to photograph.

Those are cool looking! I am sure they love all the room to swim around. So do you have plans for other fish to stock? With the length of that tank, I would think a school of something (like those PJ Cardinals) would look nice.

-James

Thank you. Our plans for other fish are a yellow goat fish, pink tail trigger, a niger trigger, and a snowflake eel. The sump is another 75 gallons, so I think we should be cool as far as water volume. We plan to add the triggers last and at the same time. Hopefully this will avoid any aggression issue.

The tank is 6' long. The reason we got this particular tank was for its dimensions. We wanted to see big fish swimming. That is also the reason we picked to do a relatively sparse aquascape.

A school would be super cool, but I really want the triggers. The two we have chosen are not supposed to be super aggressive. We shall see.

-James

It looks great! Those Ikea lights throw more than enough light. I am sure you know that both of those Triggers get huge. It would take several years though. Did you see that huge Pink-tail they had at AA about a year ago? It was gorgeous!

Thank you. I did see that triger. The bigger pink tails just seem to get extremely pretty. They had a great one at RCA just recently, but the tank wasn't cycled. I know they get really big. I think goat fish can get pretty big too. If space becomes an issue we will definitely do something about it. I don't like seeing crowded big fish. That is why we are not getting a bat fish.

The bulbs in the lights are just screw in PC from home depot. They are brighter then I thought. The color temp isn't the sweet blueish white of 10k with actinics, but the fish don't care.

We finally got all the tanks going. Until we decide to change, LOL. I took some shots of the twenty gallon this morning. It contains the contents of two different 12G nano's we had. It has four fish: a scooter blenny(eating frozen mysis), engineer goby, orange spot hi-fin goby, and you heard it here first a frozen mysis eating mandarin. I am going to stop adding fish because I don't want to add any more competition for the mandarin. It was very tough for me to take this particular fish because common thinking is a 20G is no place for a mandarin, but he seems to be fat and happy. I of course will be monitoring his appearance and if I think his health is turning for the worse I will find a different home for him. The tank also has a 10G fuge so there are a considerable number of pods. Happy Memorial Day weekend!

FTS You can see the reflection of the window on the tank. I don't mind so much because the euphyllia love the natural sun light.

100_2246.jpg

Speaking of:

100_2247.jpg

Oh soooooooooooo sexy:

100_2248.jpg

Some zoos:

100_2257.jpg

100_2252.jpg

100_2250.jpg

The fish(Minus the mandarin and engineer that like to hide)

100_2249.jpg

100_2256.jpg

Very good to hear that everything transfered well from the goby nano to this new 20gallon tank! I hope the mandarin continues to do well in this tank since they are such cool fish!

I look forward to more pics of corals & fish from this lovely tank!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the new snowflake eel we put in the 110. He is almost a foot long. The first night he ended up in the sump, but after that he has stayed in the tank. He eats mysis and krill like crazy! Jennifer hand feeds him.

Just thought we would let everyone see:

100_2265.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We added another member to the family. After watching this guy at RCA for more than a month, we decided to take him home. Now we are the proud owners of a Odontactylus scyllarus aka a Peacock Mantis shrimp. His name is Sam the Butcher. He has his own dedicated 12 gallon ACRYLIC Eclipse aquarium. We think he is pretty large for a mantis in captivity at almost 8". This morning we watched him hunt, kill, and eat a live fresh water fish. It was AWESOME! Apparently he knows I am writing a blog entry because he is just clicking away. He must be saying "HI" to everyone on ARC.

We did have one small emergency yesterday. Apparently our eel wanted to watch TV on the couch so he crawled out of the aquarium. He did not make it to the couch, but the dogs found him before Jennifer did. Luckily they are sympathetic to the fish cause and let him live. Who says pittbulls are blood thirsty? Jennifer put him back in the tank and he is doing great. Through this experience we found out eels can live out of the water for almost 12 hours according to some sources. Who knew? However, we are going to do our best to keep him IN the water. BTW seahorsejl did warn us this might happen. Just thought we would pass on the story.

FTS of the new aquarium:

100_2276.jpg

Sam in all his glory:

100_2278.jpg

Gratuitous Dwarf Lionfish shot:

100_2282.jpg

See everyone at the meeting.

Glad to see that the mantis went to a great home. That mantis is seriously huge when I saw it at RCA.

I wonder if you can put up a video of him in action as he made a meal out of his prey?

Holy smokes, that is one huge mantis! And what a nice looking one too!! Nice family addition :)

It is funny that years ago mantis and pistol shrimps were the scourge of saltwater tanks. Now people are keeing them in reef and separate tanks (myself included ... but my pistol is a small one)!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got a porcupine puffer. He has tons of personality. He is like a little puppy in the tank. He has been eating well and behaving normally. The plans are to build a pond/refugium for him. I haven't started on this yet because the weather has not been friendly. Hopefully by this weekend we will at least get some breaks in the rain, so I can start cutting 2x4s. The best thing about the puffer is he is just has hard to photograph has all the other fish. Here is the best pic out of many.

100_2298-1.jpg

Ok, now I can't tell if you are being serious :)

I wouldn't put it past you to do an inside pond ... would make it easier on the salt maintanence. Outside saltwater pond would be problematic due to the rain and such ... but it could be done. I saw the thread on Reef Central about the guy who did one ... ended up having a glass lid on it to keep the salinity and pH in check.

Cool! I like the idea :) We would get much more enjoyment out of our pond if it were indoors ... plus I wouldn't be having to always replant the plants from the $%#% racoons tearing them out!

• 3 weeks later...