Headless_donkey

Headless_donkey

I redid the return/drain plumbing today. I am know feeding the skimmer the correctly. Thank you John. The feed for the skimmer now comes off the straight part of the PVC T and there is a ball valve to adjust the flow. I also put a T on the return line with ball valves for adjustment. Right know 1/2 the T goes to the tank and the other just goes to the sump. I will be adding a carbon reactor to it later, maybe tomorrow. I will also be hanging the light tomorrow. I think I am going to add salt tomorrow. I am SUPER excited. Man, tomorrow is going to be BUSY!

Everything went really well today except, the return pump is obnoxiously loud now. It is making a grinding noise. I am not happy with it at all. Why can't sequence make a 500-700 GPH pump?

I do have a couple of questions:

Is there a good way to tell how many GPH are coming out of a tube?

Is there a quieter/more efficient external pump then the Iwaki for 700GPH?

At what point does a hobby become an obsession/addiction? (I am supposed to be watching a movie with my loving fiancee right now, but instead I am making a blog entry. GREAT!)

Well, here are the pictures. They aren't every interesting.

New Plumbing

100_2479.jpg

Shortened skimmer drain

100_2480.jpg

Power center. Which, BTW, fit perfectly between the upright 2x4s. Oh yeah, I planned that the whole time.

100_2483.jpg

Light hangers

100_2490.jpg

Thank you for reading.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always an enjoyable read.

I need to get my plumbing taken care of too. I like the placement of your skimmer. I broke down and bought an RK2 for my command center.

BTW, the polishing is coming along great. After 40+ hours of sanding I can finally start polishing the inside panels.

Great Job on your set up!

Dave-

Thank you

I am glad to hear your tank is coming along. 40+ hours is a bunch of work. I am NOT an expert plumber, but if you need any help I would be willing.

RK2s are awesome. I plan to get a controller for this tank, but it just isn't in the budget right now. I decided to get light bulbs instead. LOL

I have a Coralife timer for the lights. It hasn't caught on fire yet so I plan to use it. I don't have it mounted yet because it is running another tank.

Thank you

I am defiantly going to review the skimmer as soon as the tank is going.

Stocking list:

Fish

Maroon and gold clown

Engineer goby

Scooter blenny

Hifin goby

Yellow watchman goby

Corals

RTBA for clown

Crocea clam

Zoos

RPE

PPE

Red

Orange

Bright Green

Bright yellow

Blue

Blue and yellow

Green and red mix

Dull green<--- of course these are my favs! LOL

Some other random stuff

Bright orange ricordia

Various mushrooms

Torch and frogspawn

a feather duster(if it makes the move)

Dendrophillia (Thanks John!)

SPS

Bird's nest

Chip's acro<----only thing that isn't already in the house.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's a labor of love! I just completed sanding the inside(46 hrs). Now I need to polish the inside then I can concentrate on the outside.

I am looking into skimmers. I am awaiting your review with anticipation.

Keep up the good worK. . .

Dave-

I just hung the light fixture over the tank. I am pretty pleased with it. I kind of wish the power cords came out of the back rather then the side. I might modify later. I haven't decided.

I got my bulbs from Kingfish Aquariums. I am digging on the color combination. Unfortunately, no fault of Kingfish, one of them bulbs got broken during shipping. It was a blue plus. So, in the first 3 pictures all four "daylight" bulbs are on and only one blue plus and one super actinic. I think the overall color temperature will be a more blue once I get a replacement bulb.

I like the Sunlift system I ordered for the lights. It does EXACTLY what I wanted. I can easily move the fixture up and down without any adjustments.

BTW so far with fresh salt water and a couple of LR pieces the Octopus skimmer ROCKS!

FTS

100_2501.jpg

100_2503.jpg

All the lights(minus the broken one of course)

100_2504.jpg

Just daylights

100_2505.jpg

Half of the blue/actinic light

100_2506.jpg

Lights up off the tank

100_2507.jpg

100_2508.jpg

Light Combo

100_2512.jpg

Sand storm!!!!

100_2511.jpg

thanks for reading

This is going to be the final combo:

Aqua blue by ATI 39 Watt x2

Super Actinic by Sfiligoi 39 Watt x2

Blue plus by Giesemann 39 Watt x2

3000k by GE 39 watt x1

6500K by GE 39 Watt x1

Right now in the pics only one Blue plus and super actinic are on.

I will take a skimmer pic later.

What do you set the bulb in order? back to front.

Mine the way I set. three ballasts to have sunrise, early noon, full daylight

back

Super Actinic

Blue Plus

Aquasun

Super Actinic

14K aquablue UVL

Blue plus

Front

I think about get ATI Sunpro to replace one of those to make coral grow.

I will try that. I think the grinding noise has stopped/gotten better. It must have been an air bubble. I have been turning it on and off a lot while working on the tank. Maybe, that caused the problem to work itself out. I had never heard of that being a problem. Thanks for the info.

I still might replace it with an ehiem some day. We shall see.

• 3 months later...

Howdy,

It has been quite sometime since I have made a blog entry. Partially because I can't seem to take a decent picture of the new tank. Maybe because the pictures don't look like the pictures I have in my head or maybe because acrylic is IMPOSSIBLE to clean. I know I will NEVER buy another acrylic tank.

We finally skinned the stand of the 67 gallon. We used a heavy black material. It came out just like I had imagined. We also sold the Fish only tank. It was proving too much for us to take care and the humidity in the house was amazing. I am glad all the fish and equipment went to good homes. Hopefully, we here at ARC will get to see some some cool tanks come out this breakdown.

The seahorse got moved into the 12 Gallon Nano. We kept the 30 gallon up as a kind of Saltwater planted tank. We are pretty sure the tank has Vibrio. At least we figured it out before any more horses became infected.

Here is the full tank shot of the 67 Gallon.

IMG_0094.jpg