Headless_donkey

Headless_donkey

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you,

I know that now. He also had been picked on at the store. However, our fish paid him no attention. He had big white areas (not ich) when we bought him. The spots were getting better, so I thought he would come around. We are going to wait awhile before replacing him.

Thanks to every one.

We are going ahead with the pond. That project was on hold because we were going to be buying a house down the street. Now we are buying the house we currently live in. Everything is working out pretty sweet, but the pond is still in the garage. Such is life.

Hopefully by the end of August I will have the pond in. The original plan was to have it done by the meeting. Not going to happen.

We set-up our original 12G JBJ Nano-cube DX again. It is Jennifer's "study" tank. I am glad I never had a "study" tank when I was in school because I would have gotten even less studying done. If that is possible. Well, the whole concept behind the tank was to FINALLY have a hosting clown fish in the house. We have had several different clowns and none of them hosted in a darn thing. So we really only needed two things: an anemone and a suitable clown. We got the anemone from Wryknow here on ARC. It is a beautiful RBTA. I know 12G is too small for an anemone, but it and the clown are the only things in the tank besides the clean-up crew. We are also part of the nano revolution. Unfortunately the first three clowns we got paid zero attention to the anemone. Needless to say they are back at the LFS. In fact if you want to visit two of them, they are in the RCA show tank. Carlos says to check the overflows and sump because that is where they hang out. Now we have a gold stripe maroon clown and he LOVES his RTBA! Enough talk here are the pics. We just fed the anemone, so it is a little smaller then normal. The colors are also more vibrant in person.(go figure)

FTS

100_2342.jpg

Clown fish waving to say, "Howdy, ARC."

100_2331.jpg

almost in focus close-up

100_2336.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

We decided we have too many little tanks around the house. So, we are going to combine them in one tank and here it is.

100_2391.jpg

100_2392.jpg

It holds around 67 gallons. The dimensions are 36x18x24. It has two 2" drains in the back wall for a closed loop. The four returns are in the top euro-bracing. The sump drain is an 1.5" I think. The return, also in the overflow box, is 3/4". I still need to get the bulkheads. There is one in the tank, but I don't really care for(read trust) it. I will be working on the stand this weekend.

The return pump is an Iwaki WMD-40RLT. Between this pump and the closed loop I don't think flow will be an issue.

100_2404.jpg

The closed loop pump is a Sequence Reeflo Snapper(Thanks Carlos for the great price! Skip the internet and go to RCA.)

100_2395.jpg

The skimmer will be fed off of the tank drain and will be external. I chose a Reef Octopus recirculating model. If you will notice it has a ridiculously tall output pipe. I will be shortening it. I don't think the shorter pipe will be a problem because I should be able to adjust the skimmer level with the ball valve.

100_2398.jpg

100_2396.jpg

100_2397.jpg

Finally, the sump. Right now I am planning to use the sump as a refugium. I might add an extra baffle to create a separate return area. I will probably use the lights from our 20G on an opposite photocycle.

100_2401.jpg

100_2402.jpg

For lighting I am planning to use a Sunlight Supply TEK light. The 36" 6 bulb model should be perfect. I think this choice will be the start of a completely new revolution:

THE T5 REVOLUTION "Viva Reflectors!"

Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.

I spent this weekend building a stand for the 67 gallon. It came out pretty good. Every time I do something new or semi-new I learn something. The biggest thing I learned was the best thing about cheap table saws is they are cheap. Enough of that. I will be adding a "skin to the stand after I get the plumbing and electrical done. Jennifer and I are still kicking around ideas of what it will look like. We have some cool ones. We shall see. The sump barely fit once I got the stand together. I am so glad it did. I had not measured. I just got lucky.

Here is a picture of Tony Palony sitting on the stand. I tried to take a pic of Rosey, but she would have no part in it. I will not be taking the dog in the aquarium shot because I don't want it scratched.

100_2406.jpg

These next two are the aquarium on the stand and roughly in place. We will be moving Sam's tank and the wireless router. Do you know anyone that runs cable for a living? Oh wait that's me. Shoot!

100_2409.jpg

100_2410.jpg

All the equipment in place. I was kind of planning for some sort of reactor(carbon, phosbane, denitrate), but I don't know yet where it will go. I guess it is time for some creativity or

GREAT IDEAS FROM THE CLUB.

100_2411.jpg

100_2419.jpg

In this nest shot you have to imagine a Squence snapper mounted, a refugium light, and all the plumbing/electrical. Come on I know you can do it. I know if I were better at Photoshop I could make these things happen, but I would rather just install them and take a picture.

100_2414.jpg

Now imagine the closed loop plumbing.

100_2418.jpg

For the ridiculous part: The output tube of the skimmer. I will defiantly be shortening it. As you can see, it fricken sticks up out of the stand.

100_2416.jpg

100_2415.jpg

So, let me know what you think. Nothing is set in stone yet.

thank you.

The pictures for some reason are deceiving. The gussets end under the horizontal support for the tank. I really think it's cool, but now you got ME paranoid. I will take measurements while we're filling it up. If there is tons of deflection I will add a vertical support. I certainly don't think it will snap w/o warning.

I worked on the tank this weekend. Of course I didn't get finished, but I thought I would share. I will be painting all the visible plumbing black.

Closed loop returns

1086.jpg

Closed loop drain

1094.jpg

Closed loop pump. It is going to sit behind the tank outside of the stand. My original plan was to have it upside down under the tank, but that wasn't going to work. If haven't finished hooking it up yet because I had to make some modifications.

1096.jpg

Main drain feeding skimmer. I have absolutely no idea if this set-up is going to work, but I can't wait to see.

1092.jpg

Main return pump

1090.jpg

Main return via Loc-line

1098.jpg

Thank you

I got the two sides done over the holiday weekend. Needed a tougher grit for the front. Didn't get the sandpaper until late Sunday. I hope to have it finished this weekend. There are only a view scratches on the side I couldn't get out but for the most part it looks brand new. I will try to post pics in my blog this weekend.

Dave-

Everything seems to be on track. I found 2 leaks, but I think I both of them fixed. I am currently filling up the tank with fresh water. Hopefully, I will be able to test the closed loop this weekend. I got some SCH80 pipe to finish the plumbing inside the tank. It don't know if I like the lengths yet, but that is easily remedied. I still need to clean the sump and the outside of the tank. After almost 15 trips to Home Depot I am still missing one fitting for the return in the overflow box. I just need to run in and get it!

I got the light fixture in the mail yesterday. I couldn't be more happy with it. Kingfish has the bulbs on order. I am hoping for a high par 10K look. This is going to be the combination:

Aqua blue by ATI 39 Watt x2

Super Actinic by Sfiligoi 39 Watt x2

Actinic plus by Giesemann 39 Watt x2

3000k by GE 39 watt x1

6500K by GE 39 Watt x1

I am experimenting with the lower K bulbs to add some red and par. If it sucks I will change it. This ability to experiment with bulb combos is a big reason I went with T5. Shall we digress.

Here is an FTS with the black plumbing.

100_2466.jpg

This is the view from the couch. SUPER SWEET!

100_2475.jpg

Shot of the light fixture. That's 312 watts of HO T5! Can't wait!

100_2474.jpg

Me holding the light fixture in place. You really can't tell what it is going to look like, but we tried.

100_2473-1.jpg

In the room

100_2473.jpg

Looky, I got the closed loop working with NO leaks this time. The Snapper pump is great and quiet. I think this tank is going to have some serious flow. I just wish our RO/DI unit was 67 gallons an hour.

100_2476.jpg

100_2477.jpg

100_2478.jpg

Thank you for your time and interest. BTW if you need a new Nano or Pico let me know. Why? We are breaking some down.

I really like the way you mounted the lights over the tank. Really lifelike! lol Great progress, we are still finding issues with our tank my OCD will not let me call the polishing finished.

Can't wait to see your 67 completed!

Dave-