Largest tank?

Robb in Austin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qua. They had a decent sized tank built into the 'dance' floor. Caused quite the uproar with the PETA types. I think the club caved into pressure and just has it as a display but folks can still walk over it. I know one of the LFS helped supply stuff but would not have anything else to do with it due to animal rights/safety/husbandry issues.

Here's a link:

http://www.quaaustin.com/QUA/welcome.html

400g in my living room. Roughly 7'x3'x3'

There was a 560-600g in North Austin at one point that was beautiful but I remember it being sold away.

Wish you could post a pic. Don't see them that size too often. I believe the 2 of the largest tanks I seen personally was: Greenmako's 300g tank and the other @ the Dell Children's Hospital (but don't know the size on that one.)

Qua. They had a decent sized tank built into the 'dance' floor. Caused quite the uproar with the PETA types. I think the club caved into pressure and just has it as a display but folks can still walk over it. I know one of the LFS helped supply stuff but would not have anything else to do with it due to animal rights/safety/husbandry issues.

Here's a link:

http://www.quaaustin...UA/welcome.html

I know the animal rights' people were not too happy about the Qua tank, but I also heard that the acrylic was getting all scratched up from high heels!! Oops!

I know the animal rights' people were not too happy about the Qua tank, but I also heard that the acrylic was getting all scratched up from high heels!! Oops!

that's why you have to keep the high heels up in the air...

A friend of mine had her 15th b-day party at QUA last year. Her dad is close with the owner apparently. Anyway, the tank-floor is still alive and active! Very very very very cool place to go if you have a chance.

Just search through my old posts for info about my tank, hint I installed 3 solar tubes to light it.

Kona bar and grill has what I think to be about an 750-800g tank. From what I could see when they installed it, it was 2 of my tanks side by side and then sealed together. The tank has a large trim piece right through the middle. BOOOOOoooo........

Just search through my old posts for info about my tank, hint I installed 3 solar tubes to light it.

Kona bar and grill has what I think to be about an 750-800g tank. From what I could see when they installed it, it was 2 of my tanks side by side and then sealed together. The tank has a large trim piece right through the middle. BOOOOOoooo........

I was about to mention their tank. It's pretty large, but certainly well under 1k gallons. As you mentioned, it looks like two tanks, not one.

I haven't seen any larger tanks in Austin, yet.

Edited by Daniel

you cant walk on it anymore its roped off. they did that cause the scratches and because the animal rights people were saying it was cruel to have people walinking over the tank.

I followed Mikes thread a while back to the same place on MAAST. I didn't realize he finished the tank. I would really like to see that.

Stephen, I went to SA and got to check out Ace's setup with the solar tubes about 3 months ago. It was pretty nice and he had some ridiculous growth from his corals with just the sun light. He had some actinic light to add some blue into the tank, other than those it was 100% sunlight. He said it was awesome when there were thunderstorms. The tank would light up with each flash of lightning.

That sounds really cool with the lightening. I think I remember now seeing photos Ace took with the straight sunlight, and then with the Actinics on. It looked pretty good. BTW, did he stop growing SPS? I had heard a rumor about that. I would love to have the solar tubes too, unfortunately the location of my tank and the way the has is built, it won't ever happen for the display tank.

Stephen

That sounds really cool with the lightening. I think I remember now seeing photos Ace took with the straight sunlight, and then with the Actinics on. It looked pretty good. BTW, did he stop growing SPS? I had heard a rumor about that. I would love to have the solar tubes too, unfortunately the location of my tank and the way the has is built, it won't ever happen for the display tank.

Stephen

ACE had SPS when I was there. The colonies he had were pretty big. He had a good variety besides sps as well. I think he had a few anemones, zoanthids, and some LPS. I mainly wanted to check out his tank and get some ideas from him as I was thinking of going the solor tube route. I think he documented the growth rates of some of his corals on MAAST. He took a lot of pics including some of his tank with just the moonlight.

I have seem the Qua tank been their a few times when i used to hangout on 4th, does the Cap City Aquarium have any aquariums? i have also seen the one at Kona grill. their is a sushi place off 45 and i want to say AW grimes that has a slim tank that has a wide display that has jellys in it i dont know what the size is but pretty cool.. ill have to think of the name ohh Beluga..