vit. C or Vodka Dosing?

innate1

I've read a few threads on R.C. does anyone dose either of these? If so what are your experiences? I'm interested in vit. c dosing for my zoas.

I dosed Vit C for a while to try to keep some zoas from imploding, but I think they were too far gone. Everything I read said running carbon would remove the vitamin C so I gave up. Some people have had good success tho.

Vodka dosing in theory contributes to populations of "faculative bacteria" that are responsible for de-nitrication. If you use a natural system husbandry like deep sand beds or Jaubert plenumns and you feed your system it does the same thing in my opinion. I have never used Vodka, but I have feed my system brown sugar as recommended by Bob Goemans. I have also added vitamin C to food. I think it was a good thing to do, but I can't prove it. However, soaking food in vitamin C gets around the issue of removal by protein skimming.

Alright, after dosing myself with a little Vodka and noticing how much better I felt, it was time to add some to the system.

Just one small question: Is it normal for the fish to swim upside down? Drunk_fish.gif

All kidding aside, I actually started the dosing, and 24 hrs into it, my skimmer is already producing a different skimmate. The corals and fish seem to be doing ok. The next dosing will be this evening.

The Cyano Algae that I have been fighting seems to be breaking up a little this morning. I'll keep my eyes peeled as the experiment moves forward.

-Travis

Day 2:

The Cayno Algae is gone... after several months of fighting it, it's gone. Only a few wispy strands that the current hasn't quite blown off yet.

Ok, before you run out and buy a bottle of Vodka and start dumping it in, there has been one change that makes me worried.

The water has turned cloudy. I've tested the water parameters and they appear normal, however, the ammonia level is rising?

I am keeping my eye on it. The corals are somewhat retracted this morning. I will watch it until noon and if things don't clear up, I am pondering doing a large water change.

Any suggestions from you guys out there?

-Travis

Closing of Day #2:

Well, the water turned very cloudy. The parameters all looked within check, but still cloudy. The only thing I could guess is Calcium precipitating?

Either way, Gabe is probably right... with the Cayno dying off so rapidly, it probably was going to cause something to get upset.

I vacuumed the sand and drained 50% of the water. Lots of ugly brown debris and quite of the final stringy bits of Cayno. The new water went in, and the water seemed much clearer.

Then later this evening I checked it again and it appears to have started to get cloudy again. We will see in the morning.

On the bonus side, the sand has not been so clean and white in a long time! The Cayno is 100% gone! Who knew a few milliliters of Vodka could with the battle so quickly.

-Travis

Closing of Day #2:

Well, the water turned very cloudy. The parameters all looked within check, but still cloudy. The only thing I could guess is Calcium precipitating?

Either way, Gabe is probably right... with the Cayno dying off so rapidly, it probably was going to cause something to get upset.

I vacuumed the sand and drained 50% of the water. Lots of ugly brown debris and quite of the final stringy bits of Cayno. The new water went in, and the water seemed much clearer.

Then later this evening I checked it again and it appears to have started to get cloudy again. We will see in the morning.

On the bonus side, the sand has not been so clean and white in a long time! The Cayno is 100% gone! Who knew a few milliliters of Vodka could with the battle so quickly.

-Travis

Your dosing too much. Your water is cloudy because of a huge bacteria outbreak. Itll fix it self after a few days just ease up on the dosage. I dosed vodka in my 55 my tank loved it brighter corals, More growth, crystal clear water phos and nitrates 0

End of Day 3:

Water is clearing up nicely... but as the water get's clearer, a dusting of cyano started to appear again... so I've opted to fight with darkness....

I draped thick towels over the tank during the daylight hours, and have removed them in the evening to let the air get to the water and hopefully exchange some more oxygen.

As I checked it this evening (a quick peek under the covers while in the dark with a flashlight), the water seemed really clear, and not much sign of cyano.

I went ahead and scooped out a bit of water to test, and all levels seem good... but the skimmer is going nuts...

Cheers,

-Travis

• 1 month later...

Vodka reduces Nitrates and Phosphates which is fuel for G.H.A. and bryopis and other unwanted algae. But before you start dosing read a ton. I've been dosing Vodka for almost two months now and all my corals are light in color and according to my Elos P04 test I'm at zero. This allows me to feed my Anthias five to six times a day. I'm considering going full blown Zeovit in the future. Anyone here use Zeo?