vit. C or Vodka Dosing?

innate1

Do a google search on Reefkeeping dosing vodka and it should pull up the article in Reefkeeping magazine online. I don't recall what the starting does is but it's not very much. Make sure you reed that entire artice to understand the negative impact it could have on your reef.

Tell me its not so Clint. You are going down the Zeo road? Have you calculated how much it will cost? When I have read posts about Zeo it always sounds expensive, especially for a 200gal aquarium.

After having said all that, it has crossed my mind on something to try.

I'll post this for anyone who has basic questions.

Chemical compounds you must know before reading:

NO3 - Nitrate

PO4 - Phosphates

What is Vodka? (In your tank)

Vodka acts as another source of carbon in your tank. The other source occurs naturally through inorganic bicarbonate (hydrogen carbonate). When these carbon molecules are made into more complex chemical structures, they are deemed organic.

Why does Vodka?

Dosing Vodka reduces the amount of Nitrates and Phosphates in your tank. These two chemicals are necessary for different forms of algae to grow in your tank. By removing these phosphates, it allows your corals to enhance their calcification as well as growth. The water clarity in your tank tends to be more clear due to the carbon carrying these organic compounds floating in your tank into your skimmer. Long story short, it reduces the amount of excess nutrients.

How to dose Vodka? Being that the instruction is given clearly on the website Dapettit linked, I'll repost what I've read there.

1. Test your system’s NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not dose if you do not know this! We recommend good test kits that have some low level of sensitivity. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank’s requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.

2. Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) – (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank’s Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.

As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.

3. The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.

4. Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.

5. Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.

6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.

7. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).

8. Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

You start with .1ML of Vodka for every 25 US gallons. Dose once per day. On the 5th day, double the dosage to .2ML of Vodka per. 25 US gallon. Each subsequent week add an ADDITIONAL .5ML of Vodka regardless of water volume.

Look for any signs of stress in your aquarium while dosing. If you see any corals bleaching, STOP dosing Vodka.

I highly recommend reading THIS ARTICLE gfor a more in depth view on the use of Vodka in your aquarium.

Edited by Little_Reef

Tell me its not so Clint. You are going down the Zeo road? Have you calculated how much it will cost? When I have read posts about Zeo it always sounds expensive, especially for a 200gal aquarium.

After having said all that, it has crossed my mind on something to try.

Cecil-

I don't think it's all that expensive. I know my initial investment will cost more up front but after that I think it won't be too bad. Besides that it's the cheapest thing I'll ever put in my tank and will have the biggest impact on growth and color (which is worth a lot to me.)

I will say this about vodka, when I first started ALL of the corals I added to my tank would brown out after a few weeks. Most of the corals came from a tank that would be R.C. TOTM quality and looked stunning when I first added them. I hadn't tested for P04 but I knew it was high due to the amount of frozen food I feed my Anthias (sometime seven cubes a day) During the first two or three weeks I really didn't notice much but after the fourth week I really started to noticed the colors turn from dark brown to a lighter brown. Around this time my skimmer really started to Bubble King skimmer really started to "kick" in and produce a very smelly, thicker richer skimmate. Week five I started dosing amino acids and Phols xtra and the following week my colors really started to make a turn for the right direction. I also started noticing what I like to call RTG- Rapid Tissue Growth! :D

I have decided to go full blown Zeovit and plan on starting this weekend. I've been reading up on the Zeovit manual and hanging out on the Zeovit.com forum and I'm excited about my the future of my tank.

WARNING: DOSING VODKA WAS RIGHT FOR ME BUT MAY NOT BE RIGHT FOR YOU. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE A STRONG SKIMMER. PLEASE READ UP FOR YOURSELF, I DON'T WANT TO INFLUENCE ANYONE TO DOSE VODKA UNLESS YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS.

Clint