FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Can we change the name of the thread to Ty's bubble tip tank and thread? 19 of your last 20 pictures were BTAs, just sayin [emoji23] Although I admit some of those macro shots are poster worthy!
Alright alright... I'll get back to my acros... [emoji26]

RCA Baton Rouge under actinics...
3d4b7798fd7f6c98b5b21a4b70857abd.jpg
  • Like 1

I've noticed with my colony that it loses all green when in high light. It's similar to the red planet in that aspect, high light=all red, lower light=mix of red and green. There's definitely a fine balance to find with this one to bring out that cool tie dye look.
Yeah, my colony under 450 par is all red... Even almost light red... And the shadowy areas are green.

What tongs do you use? The ones I got dont open up big enough for anything larger than a frag
https://m.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/10-1-2-half-inch-jumbo-curved-clamp-65711.html

I use these for more precise control.

For moving larger, bulkier items, or grabbing stuff that fell on the sand bed, I use these.

https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24133

And generous too!
Thanks Jolt. He spent a lot... I figured a chunker was in order.
Put that frag under 100% actinics and a gel filter and post it for $900 and someone would buy it [emoji39]
To the gel filter-mobile actinic man!

I was about to say, we need to change the name of your thread to “farmer Ty’s no water change colorful aiptasia (BTA) tank”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

No sir, there are a few colors that ive seen from your thread that I've never seen on acros before, its awesome how much the hobby has changed in that way. either we were just not introduced to them or they didn't exist. that's part of what drew me back in was the color range on the sps vs the standard colors we used to see. i notice a lot of pretty stuff coming from the aussies now days vs what we saw coming over from other countries that supplied back when. its pretty cool to see how much this hobby has advanced and keeps advancing. Pretty stuff Ty that's for sure.  

• Like 1

No sir, there are a few colors that ive seen from your thread that I've never seen on acros before, its awesome how much the hobby has changed in that way. either we were just not introduced to them or they didn't exist. that's part of what drew me back in was the color range on the sps vs the standard colors we used to see. i notice a lot of pretty stuff coming from the aussies now days vs what we saw coming over from other countries that supplied back when. its pretty cool to see how much this hobby has advanced and keeps advancing. Pretty stuff Ty that's for sure.  

It is interesting to see the varieties of color and species these days versus our mono-color acros in the 90s and 2000s.

A lot of that has to do with lighting though and more blue light in our lighting these days versus 10 years ago. Husbandry of course too as understanding that stripping out all nutrients is not needed, that a little nitrate is indeed ideal for better coloration. Phosphates I continue to supress as low as I can keep it but I do feed the tank tons of food daily.

I started a blue lights and white lights thread on reef2reef to allow reefers to see some of the well-known acros in the hobby under both light scenarios. I used to think that blue light photos were dishonest from vendors until I realized how many reefers out there run more blue lights than white lights. Like 10 hours of blues a day and only 2-4 hours of white. So their focus on purchases is how it looks under blues only versus myself, who tends to run more whites than blues (I consider this normal lighting but it might not be normal for too much longer). So for me, blue light pics aren't as ideal, hence why I started the thread so both can see what they need and chose their purchases accordingly.

Here's the white light picture of the CC Voodoo Magic. I'm impressed with all the colors it still has even under whiter lighting. I think its one that will please both blue and white light fans.fc1e0662ef85aa191a344788c285061d.jpg