FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Came time to finally remove my giant cyphastrea rock that has been in my system for 6+ years and in 3 different systems.

Here it is back in 2013 and 2014 in my old 125 gallon... Two systems ago. Yes, I did at one time enjoy my zoas. [emoji16]

333b992c95536386a0d28d00c928b0b9.jpg

71d0c4f5385e49213a9d3c8bee269880.jpg

It has completely covered both sides of this massive rock and was a home to my Midas blenny.

Lately it has just looked out of place in a predominantly acro tank and I made the decision to finally pull it. It is currently in my frag tank until I have time to take a saw, hammer, and chisel the thing and pass it along to my fellow reefers.

Cyphastrea sitting in my frag tank. Going to need a bigger ruler.

65a2e4f2aaaa5c56a55144a87d976ac0.jpg

My poor confused Midas Blenny.

1b6589ac2a144cca774e784199ab0614.jpg

Before:

4d260f99d1ca8767f05daddf11e514d5.jpg

The carnage in the middle:

490e459df83df5a2226cb9aa3b881cce.jpg

c08e3acadd9daef4b3c7cec819825486.jpg

cbeaeedbdcd6251d87464f3e66cb133c.jpg

After:

8e6555a0310ace404fc50c443b0b8c45.jpg

FTS After:

So much better now that there is an open chasm and not a giant cyphastrea rock just jutting out of nowhere.

3232e2a96598d91a815ee2dd577a2719.jpg

• Like 2

I guess it would make more sense if I mentioned why there was so much carnage in the middle. Everyone was probably thinking... Uhhh... You just picked up a giant rock and removed it... How did all the corals get slimey and why is it so cloudy in the tank?

I took this opportunity to remove my Colorado Sunburst split, which was attached to a rock at the bottom of the tank. So I removed 6 rocks and then picked up the bottom rock and removed the anemone. Then replaced everything and bolstered the right side of the left rock scape with rocks from my sump now that the cyphastrea rock was gone. I reglued my Slimer to the middle of the scape and moved my Vivid Aquariums Rainbow Delight colony since it was coloring up nicely lately and getting horribly shaded by my unnamed pink mille growing gangbusters to the right of it.

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

I guess it would make more sense if I mentioned why there was so much carnage in the middle. Everyone was probably thinking... Uhhh... You just picked up a giant rock and removed it... How did all the corals get slimey and why is it so cloudy in the tank?

I took this opportunity to remove my Colorado Sunburst split, which was attached to a rock at the bottom of the tank. So I removed 6 rocks and then picked up the bottom rock and removed the anemone. Then replaced everything and bolstered the right side of the left rock scape with rocks from my sump now that the cyphastrea rock was gone. I reglued my Slimer to the middle of the scape and moved my Vivid Aquariums Rainbow Delight colony since it was coloring up nicely lately and getting horribly shaded by my unnamed pink mille growing gangbusters to the right of it.

Freaking nems...

• Like 1

Removing the giant cyphastrea rock was just the first phase on my transformation of the tank. There are some colonies that I will be looking to move into the frag tank or move along entirely and some frags/mini colonies I'm looking to put in the display.

I've circled in RED colonies/frags that'll be leaving the display.

I've circled in HOT PINK the ones that will be moved to another location but staying in the display.

I've circled in ORANGE the ones I'm a bit undecided on still. They may stay a bit longer to fill space but once more frags are ready to be added to the display, they may get booted.

7b44815f61cdb1404ced57a2d718a5ff.jpgd29651d3e7366552ec6e7469f61de00e.jpg

Lol I was gonna say. I literally cannot tell the difference in the colors of those circles. I like how much removing that cyphastrea cleaned up the scape. Good move. That’s gotta be tough pulling colonies of sticks for good. I have duplicate colonies I’m having a hard time giving up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Lol I was gonna say. I literally cannot tell the difference in the colors of those circles. I like how much removing that cyphastrea cleaned up the scape. Good move. That’s gotta be tough pulling colonies of sticks for good. I have duplicate colonies I’m having a hard time giving up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Its like having 30 cats... Rehoming 2 at that point becomes a bit easier then if you have only 5 cats. [emoji16] Yeah, it was night and day once I removed the cyphastrea... Looks so much cleaner.
Noooooo!  Not cyphastrea-face [emoji20]
I'll miss the thought of it but man does that scape look a lot better now.
Haha sorry Ty, I just had to give you a hard time on your color selection. Just don’t start leaving me a bunch of threatening voicemails for giving you crap publicity [emoji23]
It was a poor choice of colors... My User Experience focused roommate would be disaappointed in me.

What happened to your green tubinaria looking acro table? I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but it looks like it's having some issues in the center?

Hero tubinaria... I put it in a way too shady area and it started to lose flesh. I'll be removing the giant acro colony above it and opening up some daylight to it soon.

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Hero tubinaria... I put it in a way too shady area and it started to lose flesh. I'll be removing the giant acro colony above it and opening up some daylight to it soon.

It is a Turbinaria! For some reason I thought you had said it was a species of Acropora before. My old man brain is deceiving me!

I looked around at the different species of Turbineria and it looks to me like it could be a Turbinaria patula based on the skeletal structure. Turbinaria heronensis seems to be more branching that plating, but that could be due to environmental influences and yours hasn't grown large enough to really tell for sure? Not that it matters, just the scientist in me always striving for precise identification.

• Like 1

It is a Turbinaria! For some reason I thought you had said it was a species of Acropora before. My old man brain is deceiving me!

I looked around at the different species of Turbineria and it looks to me like it could be a Turbinaria patula based on the skeletal structure. Turbinaria heronensis seems to be more branching that plating, but that could be due to environmental influences and yours hasn't grown large enough to really tell for sure? Not that it matters, just the scientist in me always striving for precise identification.

You probably heard me say it grows in extended corallite forms that resemble some deepwater acros.

Its heronensis, that's what at least Gary at Aquadome imports them as. They aren't available in the trade to often... Which is a shame because they are so unique.

He had a couple more imported last month... Which was the first I've seen them there again in over a year.

Did I hear you might need help clearing out some frags?
Believe it!

I may just host another meeting at the house next month and sell off chunks for cheap! I have no room to keep those frags long-term in the tank.

The great purge of 2018 is about to begin!
  • Like 2

I feel so sorry for your blenny! That was his home, his safe zone and you took it away [emoji24]

I'm pretty sure he's been pooping in my coffee for the last couple months now. I'm not sure about how its physically happening but my coffee tastes like blenny poop.

He had it coming! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Haha 1