Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

Were you able to set up the UV system?

Yes sir! It turned out to be an easier set up to make work than I thought it would be, because I found *just enough* space to sneak it above the fuge. Thanks again!

Was picking up a purchase at another poster's house and he offered up his UV filter when he heard I had some disease issues, so I have that hooked up now:

744d4d96c6ebf8db996c04a134d22d01.jpg

2e9336e1df69a3ae8196fa96fe42a2c5.jpg

• Like 1

Do Emerald crabs molt? Saw an exoskeleton the other day and assumed one of the Mithrax had met his maker. Then this morning, this big boy showed up w/ giant shiny Popeye claws!

Alas, he may have been going through some growing pains as he wasn't particularly quick or nimble and got tangled in the starfish as he tried to make his way back into the safety of the rocks. Not today, sir. Not today. Into the fuge you go!

1459f3251a2f62e32982f0aecebdff29.jpg

I would think all crustaceans will molt. I've even seen little amphipod exoskeletons floating around my tank when I hadn't fed anything.... so I'm sure they're in there growing. It's also a good sign that their shell is kinda healthy, they usually won't molt if there's something making them unhappy.... or at least that is the way my tarantulas were when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm right about 3 weeks from introducing the clowns and firefish to the display. That means I need to start making plans for the next round of purchases, so I'm looking for some help w/ my stock list and order of purchase/introduction.

75gal w/ Helfrichi Firefish (2") and 2 Ocellaris Clowns (1.5")

Striped Blenny

Blenny - Starry or Harptail or Forktail

Golden Sleeperhead Goby

Ruby Red Scooter Dragonet (m)

2 of 3:

Splendid Dottyback (ORA)

Yellow Candy Hogfish

Black Cap Basslet

Potter's Angelfish

My concerns:

1) Is that too many fish overall? If so, who gets the cut? Best 2 of 3 in that middle group?

2) Compatibility looks solid to me - am I OK here? 7 pretty peaceful fish (counting the blennies) and 3 semi aggressive, all added last. Going to do my best to acquire all as small as possible, w/o being ridiculous.

3) Nervous about QT for Goldenhead Goby and Ruby Red Scooter. How will the GHG handle not having sand to sift? How much am I going to spend on pods for the RRS?

4) What else am I missing?

Potters are notoriously fickle. It may make sense to put one of those in last. Until they adapt to eating frozen/dry food, they will pick on the LR so make sure there's stuff for it to pick at. Ours took a few weeks of watching the other fish pig out at dinner time before she figured out that we were dispensing tasty food. Now she's a complete pig.

You shouldn't have to spend money buying pods if the system is producing enough on it's own. Look around with a flashlight at night and if you can see pods running all over the LR, then you're probably ok.

I have heard the secret to QTing finicky fish to to already have peaceful tank mates in the qt that are already eating. They will help show that it's food. Also don't vaccum out uneaten food. I just wanted my red saddled anthias and sunburst anthias eating krill off the floor of the QT that I put in last night. This has been common for me. It takes the fish a hot minute to figure out that your presence and a turkey baster means food.

Either way you roll the dice. Dragonet is the hardest in my experience to get eating. Some just refuse. Some fish just won't eat frozen.

Yes but they will eventually starve on them as you can't ever seem to supply enough pods or live baby brine. For what it's worth I always hatch my own brine for 4 days for new arrivals. Then I mix the live brine in the tank at the same time as the frozen. Mistakes get made lol. Then they figure out oops I ate that but it was good.

• Like 2

Hi Bobcat,

Your tank is looking good! :-)

I would agree on the QT process. I built a 30gal QT with a handful of fulltime residents that are non aggressive.

I setup mine with sand bottom and a little live rock (I know that is not recommended but it looks better :-)).

I have a bio-wheel filter in addition to the live rock. I'm thinking of switching to a HOB skimmer instead?

I'm guessing there is probably an entire discussion on QT requirements somewhere on here. :-)

I look forward to see how you do with that Potter's Angel. I've heard that those are difficult to maintain.

One other note, Hogfish can be very aggressive and possibly kill other tankmates. I think I would pass on the hog even if it is currently calm and passive.

Here is a discussion on that. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2434000

John

• Like 2

Thanks John - Just going off that link, the OP put the fish in a 36g...not ideal. Still, I'm not looking to add questionable characters. Looks like the Dottyback and YCH might get crossed off the list.

On the QT & sand for the GSG, I've definitely thought about that. Curious as to the effect of the sand on the meds or overall QT process... Can I get a ruling here Reburn/Dan/Ty?

Potter's is so far away, I could change my mind 10x by then! I just look at the selection so far and everything is fairly small, so I'm looking for a larger, flashier fish to finish it all off. Might even give another shot to the Potter's Wrasse - such a beautiful fish!

Nay for sand is my vote. It can absorb medication. They will be just fine not having sand to filter during QT. Plus if you ever need to sterilize the tank for thr next batch, there's no good way to make sure that sand is entirely clean if you want to reuse. You'd have to basically start with new sand each time or use two batches of sand in which you rotate and let the other dry for a really long time before using again just to be safe.