Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

"That's where I found the culprit - union fitting had come loose from the valve I 'm always having to adjust going into the sump. I'm still nervous I 'll get home and the tank will be empty, but that's just my paranoia."

Does it have threads? If u can shut it all down and unthread it, maybe teflon the male end will make a more secure fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you have a water sensor for leaks and such?

^^^^^^^

This! Get one if you don't. Although if it's not a web-based one, you're still screwed unless you are home.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge benefit to tank laying fallow: Pod population is BOOMING! Those little suckers are EVERYWHERE!

Most of the corals are happy, but the wall hammer has been grumpy for a couple of days. Pulled him off the top of the scape and put him in the sand, but no change in attitude.

I started dosing 2 part on Sunday. Alk is up to 7.73 from around 7.34. I'll have a Ca checker shortly so I can start monitoring that as well.

QT fish are starting to go a little stir crazy. Clowns are picking on the Helfrichi a bit. Think when I do the water change tomorrow I'll do some more diffuser scaping to change it up.

It's got a brown jelly infection. You'll want to take it out and treat it. I've done a dip with tank water and a couple drops of Lugol's on one before and it recovered. You'll want to use a pipette or syringe and suck up/blow off the brown jelly bacteria and then place it in the Lugol's dip for 10-15 mins.

It may be a little too far gone but it's worth a shot.

Lugol's available locally? Dome? Tek? JustReef?

Do I need to take it out of the tank ASAP? Danger to the other corals?

I wouldn't try to disturb the brown jelly until you can get Lugol's and remove the hammer to treat. I feel like I saw it at RCA but I'm pretty sure Aquadome, Aquatek, or Fish Gallery should have it. Just don't let it get in contact with any other euphyllias... they are prone to the infection.
  • Like 1

Thanks Ty - I'll call around today and see if I can pick some up. In the meantime, I cut the bottom off a 2-liter soda bottle and isolated the coral so the tank flow wouldn't blow any of that slime off onto my other euphyllias.

Any idea what causes it? This coral was doing fine for weeks before this popped up.

It just happens sometimes but could occur from physical damage or poor water quality.

An acro colony fell on mine and the physical damage caused the brown jelly. I treated it quick and saved the head. Juiceman was actually at my house at the time and I think he was the one that noticed it first. I was able to save the head and coincidentally, Juiceman bought it as it was from his original mother colony that died. Now that I think about it, the timing was a little too perfect. Juiceman, did you brown jelly my torch so you could get me to frag it and then end up selling it back to you? Sneaky sneaky.

• Like 3

I've been so nervous w/ this QT deal the whole time, and especially about the Helfrichi. I've had at least a half dozen firefish over the years, but never been able to keep one alive for more than a week or so. The last week or so he's been hiding a lot and looking lethargic, not really going after food, so I've been ready to fear the worst. It doesn't help that he can find the absolute best hiding spots in the tank - mind you this is a 20g long that's on my dining room table...I can see every angle pretty easily! Sunday I pulled a bunch of the diffuser and pvc to force him out in the open a bit more so I could see if he was eating and just keep a bit of a better eye on him. Added some cyclopeeze to the food mix too, and he went after it, so I'm going to keep that up.

This morning, I was convinced the Bermuda Tank was back! Couldn't find him ANYWHERE and I was just beside myself - how does this happen? If he died and the clowns went cuc on him, surely there would be body parts laying around the tank. The tank has been covered the whole time, so no jumping. Moved the diffuser platform and last piece of pvc to see if he was hiding in there...nope. WTF?!?!?! Came back after taking a shower and the bastid is right there in the middle of the tank!! Houdini Helfrichi! I can't take 2 more months of this! angry.pnghyper.gifangry.png

• Like 3

Meanwhile, in the DT, everyone is happy as all get out. The wall hammer bit the dust pretty quicklike, but it appears the brown jelly didn't spread (fingers crossed). Not sure what's going on w/ the Superman Rhodactis - never seen that before. Blue fuzzy shroom and GSP at the end were wedged into some crevices to see if I liked them on that side of the tank and fell out. Need to get them, and a couple of single paly polyps that got busted off by the urchins, glued down this weekend. All in all, tank is doing great! *knocks on wood*

• Like 2

I had 2 in my 35 gal. One I jst shoved a bunch of rocks over it so it couldn't come out. Noticed last night dang thing came out the OTHER side! The second one I was able to remove the Rock and scrub it. It TOO came back! They're sneaky little buggers!

I had 2 in my 35 gal. One I jst shoved a bunch of rocks over it so it couldn't come out. Noticed last night dang thing came out the OTHER side! The second one I was able to remove the Rock and scrub it. It TOO came back! They're sneaky little buggers!

I used to get bone cutters and chip a chunk of the rock off with it. But I've only had to deal with 3 ever in 13 years so maybe don't take my advice.