Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

I've had the Acans for a while now. The red one hasn't wanted to grow at all and has stuck w/ those 2 heads for months. Might be a new little one popping up though. Popped it off to move it away from a rapid grower. That purple/green one has been going crazy - my most active grower by far. Epoxy failed and it was in the sand the other morning. It kinda needed to be moved as well, so good timing.

Apparently the Peppermint Shrimp HATES Torch Coral, because I caught him going Edward Scissorhands on my new guy! I've been using these gelato containers for pretty much everything lately - transporting frags, feeding reef chili, rodi cup for rinsing or testing - so I grabbed one and used my new step drill bits (SO GOOD w/ plastics!) to make a protective cage until I can sell the shrimp. Also: Aiptasia (and Torch Coral) eating Peppermint Shrimp for sale, $5. Might throw in an Emerald Crab if I can catch one before you get here.

c25e7188926c66a09575fd03d0a7fad9.jpg

Well dangit...now I've got to go search for that somewhere...

Anyone have advice on how to get a rock flower anenome to attach? Got one yesterday and he's all over the place today.

I put them in a small tupperware bowl filled with rubble and wait till they get happy with the spot they found. Keep them in a low flow area...lots of flow will cause them to wonder.

Thanks Jim! I have a tupperware bowl frag rack that I use for things like this, but everywhere I put it had enough flow to float that little guy right out! So I had to fashion a lid for it and jail him for his own good! I'll add some more pieces of rubble and see if he'll attach.

Well, that's the question, HG! laugh.png

Chemically, I would have to think it doesn't. My guess is that Ty's explanation is closer to correct, but even then, flow rate is determined by the most limiting factor (whether initial pump power or smallest opening diameter) so there shouldn't be a higher flow rate in one chamber vs another.

I'm going to ping BRS just to get an official answer. My prediction is that they come back w/ something along the lines of "Not critical, but suggested because _____________."

They went w/ the same answer as Ty. Still don't know if that one totally passes muster, but ok.

Maybe I need to do a Ty-esque experiment? Configured each way, track how many days it takes for the GFO to settle. Seems like a lot of work though...

They went w/ the same answer as Ty. Still don't know if that one totally passes muster, but ok.

Maybe I need to do a Ty-esque experiment? Configured each way, track how many days it takes for the GFO to settle. Seems like a lot of work though...

Did someone say experiment? [emoji4]
  • Like 2

Anyone have advice on how to get a rock flower anenome to attach? Got one yesterday and he's all over the place today.

OK, so this guy wasn't super cooperative and just attached himself to the tupperware while it was in the display all week. So I used a razor blade to slide underneath him and placed him in a perfect little pocket of a rock and moved him to the sump w/ a drip tube set on full flow. He immediately left the perfect home I gave him and while he does seem to have attached himself to a rock, it's a terrible spot for actually getting him into the display. Still not sure how to manage that transition as I kind of want him on a depression on a wall and I'm afraid he's going to settle in an area I have reserved for a bigger piece down the road.

75d765d27e7f2ba988adaa786463eb38.jpg

Got my ATO and Kalkwasser drip set up.

Kalkwasser drip is a bit of a PITA...can't get the right drip rate. It's either 120+ drips/min or 30d/m, and I'm targeting 60d/m. Did some cord organizing as well.

1f99bda8704a2ab133369e57a99fccf3.jpg

This is giving me fits. Even when I'm getting what I think is a consistent drip rate, one time the container drains in 8hrs, the next time over 3 days. I'll be a bit more vigilant on monitoring rate going forward, but it's tough to check and mark every hour.

As far as helping keep my system stable, I'm not sure what's going on there either. For instance, yesterday was one of the times the entire container drained in a day, and the Alk & Ca values went down...isn't that backwards? Could use some suggestions on how to get my parameters a bit more stable. I did take Reburns advice and have been testing in the morning (added a test last night to see what the numbers looked like after the quick drain). Also, are my target ranges where they should be? I'm basing them off of some of y'all's readings in other threads.

Target is 148-163ppm (8-9.13dKH)

a2usl1.jpg

Target is 410-460ppm

qwyelg.jpg

Target is 8.1-8.3

2s9vhpt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from 10 day Pacific Rim walkabout and was worried about leaving my tank in the hands of my neighbor for that long, so I asked Dan to poke his head in a couple of times while I was gone to make sure nothing disastrous was happening. Not only did it look good, but other than the glass needing some magnet action, the tank looked better than when I left! All fish looking happy, and other than 1 new shroom from C4 looking dead, everything was big and fluffy. Stoked to have come back to a happy tank!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Added a Fathead Sunburst Anthia recently and she's been doing great! Aaron had her at Just Reef for 4+ weeks and she was eating plenty, so I figured she was plenty adjusted to tank life. Been eating plenty, but still likes her side of the tank - only seen her on the right side once in a month or so. Such a pretty fish!

• Like 1

My problem children

Can't seem to keep a Torch alive to save my life. Moved him down to the bottom of the tank and looks like the single remaining head is all deflated and sad.

3bcadf62b2ae43a156ebd152413ecbb7.jpg

61ae15604d275db67b635de8a492f21f.jpg

Bubble Coral has been like this for quite a while, so I put him down in the sand to see if maybe being lower in the tank would help get him back to full bubbleness.

d6d74baa38aa5ad878f46ea5f406f4de.jpg

9d5691f89351050c1689006b54667ba6.jpg

Candy Canes are usually all full and plump, but have been grumpy for a week or so.

1c3c8b045d8064dc68ca832c037f374e.jpg