Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so maybe you'll find this funny too....

My sister got me the Dremel for Xmas and I asked for it because I knew I'd need it w/ the new tank build, and I was right - I've used it a TON on this project. So I thought I would send her a message and let her know I was getting good use out of it...

2djqlur.png

• Like 2

Thanks Reburn!

*Those corals look good. I have some Candy Apple Palys and Candy Cane that are hating life after I went way overboard w/ H2O2 treatment on the algae. I'll post some pics here in a couple of days when they've fully recovered, as both look like they're going to.

Sister has stayed at my house dozens of times over the years and never given my tank a second look.

Kole has been in there 5 weeks. There are plenty of pics on the web of Koles w/ that lighter coloration, I guess I just want him to be redder.

He was being an annoying punk kid today! Straight up refused to show me his right side! :lol:

I was able to catch a glimpse and didn't see the same splotchiness. His overall color usually starts out almost white in the morning and colors up as the day goes on. As far as stress, I'm not sure what he'd be stressed about. He's the alpha of the tank right now, there's a ton of algae for him to eat ( he seems to be constantly grazing), and I'm not messing w/ him (other than to try and take pics every now and then).

Pic of left side this morning - pretty typical for his coloring at that time of day:

b7a8c28630336e2f500a4931b122248b.jpg

• Like 1

So, question about QTing fish. I do have plans to add several fish soon and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Stealing from another post on here, making some assumptions, and curious whether this is a good way to go, generally speaking:

Paraguard the first 3 days

Water change

Prazipro the next 5 days

Regular water changes through 4 weeks

Yes/No? Suggestions?

Paraguard is only effective against velvet if dosed daily at lights out for 21 days and only effective against ich if dosed daily for 30 days.

3 days isn't doing much really. Even for fin rot they reccomend 7 days.

The reason behind dosing at lights out is the Paraguard breaks down faster with uv exposure.

My QT method taught by Nuxx

Week 1 Paraguard daily with a 50% water change on day 7 (no skimmer, no carbon or chemipure but heavy aeration via airstone)

Week 2 prazipro Monday, Paraguard daily with a 50% water change on day 7 (no skimmer, no carbon or chemipure but heavy aeration via airstone)

Week 3 prazipro Monday, Paraguard daily with a 50% water change on day 7 (no skimmer, no carbon or chemipure but heavy aeration via airstone)

Week 4 prazipro Monday, Paraguard daily with a 50% water change on day 7 (no skimmer, no carbon or chemipure but heavy aeration via airstone)

Weeks 5-8 observe, resume skimmer, carbon or chemipure, stop airstone

Notes: Paraguard will bun the decorative fins of fish like Yasha gobies or flasher wrasses. They will grow back. I use a Jebao Doser to dose Paraguard since. Paraguard has a pretty wide safety margin for being overdosed (4x). I dose prazipro in half doses 12 hrs apart on the first day of the week. Prazipro is known to create a bacterial bloom that will lower the dissolved oxygen of the water.

• Like 1