The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

I had to dose my Mg up using Magnesium Chloride - in quite massive quantities I might add. Only after I got the Mg back up to a good level was my reactor able to maintain it (after adding the NeoMag). NeoMag says to use a 9-1 ratio or so, I'm using more like 5-1. My corals consume the heck outta Mg!

Yeah I tried following NeoMag's recommended ratio too and that just isn't working. I'll probably increasing the amount again and dose some Tech M. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you.

I had to dose my Mg up using Magnesium Chloride - in quite massive quantities I might add. Only after I got the Mg back up to a good level was my reactor able to maintain it (after adding the NeoMag). NeoMag says to use a 9-1 ratio or so, I'm using more like 5-1. My corals consume the heck outta Mg!

• 2 weeks later...

I added more NeoMag a week ago, but oddly my Mg levels have dropped even further. It dropped from 1110 to 1095 this week. I guess I need to keep adding more NeoMag, but I'm curious what is consuming Mg so rapidly....

I looked on this Calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html and this is how much Kent Tech M you would have to add to get it up to 1500. I assumed you have a 120 gallons with sump and rock displacement. Once it is up the NeoMag should be able to keep it steady. thumbsup.gif

2628.4 ml; 88.8 fl oz; 525.6 tsp.

Dang, thanks for the material JasReef!

I think one problem with my Mg is I'm not running my pH low enough. When I had this CaRX on my 50 it was very easy to over-dose the tank so o got used to running at a higher pH. I guess I haven't gone away from that since upgrading, but I've been slowly lowering the pH of my reactor every week. Hopefully eventually the pH will get low enough that it will start to dissolve the NeoMag and release more Mg into the water.

A few pictures for the afternoon. Added a couple of new acros to the tank! I'm hoping their colors develop nicely, hard to tell from the iPhone and LEDs, but the one on the right is a very nice shade of purple, I'm hoping it retains that color in my tank.

249ac687f615bfde903ca36e7ce1ec75.jpg

I stared dosing acro power every day, and so far all my corals have started to have really great polyp extension. This is the best shot I could get to demonstrate. So far I'm sold on this stuff!

9fdb29c6580a24d414dab8a98adcb5e1.jpg

Got some new strawberry cowries, it's been hard so far to get a good shot, but who says a CUC can't be pretty!

e237a36b9130d6c4243c90c6bb96f614.jpg

And my pride and joy, the ever growing Heteractis magnifica.

5d111e504943d4cc1743a8f9446b9657.jpg

• Like 2