The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

That time you check on your tank on your way to bed and notice the protein skimmer isn't running, then spend a good hour taking it out of the sump, taking it apart and cleaning it, and putting it back in only to realize the pump is dead. That's what I get for buying used equipment on the club [emoji35]

You have the worst luck with used equipment! Like terrible! I couldn't imagine the replacement pump on that thing is cheap. Good thing your birthday is coming up. [emoji4]

That time you check on your tank on your way to bed and notice the protein skimmer isn't running, then spend a good hour taking it out of the sump, taking it apart and cleaning it, and putting it back in only to realize the pump is dead. That's what I get for buying used equipment on the club [emoji35]

You have the worst luck with used equipment! Like terrible! I couldn't imagine the replacement pump on that thing is cheap. Good thing your birthday is coming up. [emoji4]

Haha yup. Goodbye birthday presents, hello replacement pump bye.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good. Getting some nice growth.

Thanks, yeah I wish I had documented individual corals more closely from the beginning of the tank in February so I could compare them now.

As an example, here's a terrible photo of one of my corals 7 months ago, just a pitiful half dead stick

7ff9889bdb579e23d922e8b349a92a7c.jpg

And here it is yesterday

f07a05d58f0d0f1912499a0be9b1c4a5.jpg

It's pretty remarkable how quickly some cross can grow under good conditions. I wish I had a good camera with a tripod so I could take nice time lapse photos and do a nice month-to-month comparison.

Edited by Gig 'em
  • Like 3

Hey, that's a pretty sweet looking red planet there! [emoji106]

Yeah, that coral has quickly become my most valued colony. It is growing at an unbelievable rate too. When I got it from you it was a tiny little stick, now it has at least 6 branches starting to bud off. Maybe in a couple of years it will be a beautiful grand table

Hey, that's a pretty sweet looking red planet there! [emoji106]

Yeah, that coral has quickly become my most valued colony. It is growing at an unbelievable rate too. When I got it from you it was a tiny little stick, now it has at least 6 branches starting to bud off. Maybe in a couple of years it will be a beautiful grand table
Super fast grower... You'll have that colony much quicker than you think.

Nice! What's the pink one on the left?

That was the ugliest brown mariculture I had ever seen. But I used my actinic flashlight and thought I saw some reddish hues hidden under all the brown so I took a chance and bought it. Sometimes your best corals start off as diamonds in the rough

• Like 1

Ooo they're anemotating sea apples! My rbta started walking around today...right before I leave for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's always comforting! Now you'll spend the week wondering where it is and if it has made it into the powerhead yet doh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working toward transforming my old 50 gallon display tank into a QT tank in the fish room. I don't have any pictures yet, but as soon as I get all the necessary plumbing parts together I'll start taking some pictures for reference.

Since space is a bit limited in my house, I was considering plumbing in a second tank next to the 50 gallon that would help increase the water volume and keep things more stable. I have a shelving rack right next to the 50 gallon that currently holds 10 gallon tanks I've used for treatments and beta breeding. I'm thinking of putting a 20 long and/or 30 long on the racks and make those into frag tanks. Since it would all be plumbed into the QT tank I'm nervous that if anything ever got past my dipping it would wipe out my frags, but I don't produce nearly enough frags and the extra water volume will really help keep the QT tank more stable so I'm thinking it's worth that risk.

I'm also trying to decide how I want to go about keeping the frag/QT tank parameters in check. Temperature and salinity are easy, but I don't think I want to deal with another CaRX. I have one dosing pump that is currently lent out to another member, so I'm thinking of buying another one and some two part solution and rely on the 2-part method for this system.

6' hydroponic tub man with two 20 gallons on the shelving tied into it with ball valves to isolate when needed for QT.

Then stick with your 2-part dosing for foundation elements. You'll have to get two peristaltic pumps because I traded yours for magic beans. I'll give you dibs on the first giant that climbs down it though.