The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Thanks to the help of cdf, I got the tank lifted onto the stand after the club meeting. I was also then able to measure and cut the plumbing.

I did a dry run to make sure everything fit and then cemented down what I could tonight. It's coming along nicely and I can't wait to get water in it!

7ac5a2dd3c3b9682eb00da0e9a2ad29a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris, I can't lose momentum once I have it!

I couldn't get to the bulkheads to tighten them down, so I had to jack the corners of the tank up to give me access. I knew I was keeping those old National Geographics around for a reason [emoji4]

9961aa8801bd64d78ac9a506c088d5ca.jpg

I put a thin layer of aquarium grade silicone between the gasket and bulkhead and around the threads. My last tank had Teflon tape, which I think caused a tiny leak and I had a salt trail for years down my piping. Hopefully the silicone path will keep it dry.

• Like 1

Well it has taken me all day and a lot of new SW, but the tank is finally filled and the critters have been transferred. I probably should have acclimated everyone a little slower, but considering they're the remaining survivors of their exodus in the trough, I bet they'll make it.

Unfortunately I have to go out of town tomorrow for the week, so hopefully nothing major goes wrong [emoji52][emoji53][emoji45]

0844ceaac522e629c40c8efc243c970c.jpg

• Like 3

Well it has taken me all day and a lot of new SW, but the tank is finally filled and the critters have been transferred. I probably should have acclimated everyone a little slower, but considering they're the remaining survivors of their exodus in the trough, I bet they'll make it.

Unfortunately I have to go out of town tomorrow for the week, so hopefully nothing major goes wrong [emoji52][emoji53][emoji45]

0844ceaac522e629c40c8efc243c970c.jpg

I got your back if you need it bud. [emoji4]
  • Like 1

Luckily I was able to cut my work trip short and come home early. The tank looks great now that the detritus has settled! Of course I paid the price for leaving the tank alone after setting it up and had a loose hose fall out of the sump and empty the sump onto my dining room floor and surrounding areas [emoji37]. I guess I should have stayed up a little later that night and finished securing all my loose hoses so that wouldn't happen, another lesson learned in my extensive book of mistakes!

• Like 1

Luckily I was able to cut my work trip short and come home early. The tank looks great now that the detritus has settled! Of course I paid the price for leaving the tank alone after setting it up and had a loose hose fall out of the sump and empty the sump onto my dining room floor and surrounding areas [emoji37]. I guess I should have stayed up a little later that night and finished securing all my loose hoses so that wouldn't happen, another lesson learned in my extensive book of mistakes!

I thought it was that clumsy FarmerTy fella that knocked it out of there to sabotage your new tank in it's first week of existence? whistle.gif

So setting up the tank obviously stirred up a lot of nutrients when I transferred all the rock and sand. nitrates were at about 12 ppm earlier this week and about 6 ppm today. Phosphates interestingly have gone up over the past days from about 0.12 ppm to 0.21 ppm today. The tank water looks a little cloudy and the house has "that aquarium smell". I assume it's from the bacterial bloom going on from the available nutrients and all the fresh water and room to grow. Hopefully it'll settle out soon whistle.gif