The Maroon Lagoon V2.0

So I accidentally dosed a whole bottle of AcroPower last night. I hadn't been dosing in a while and I thought I would start dosing again to see if there was indeed a noticeable effect. I went to purge the lines and next thing I know it's morning and I realized I forgot to turn off the dosing pump! I thought for sure it would be a disaster, but everything looks fine today. The only thing I can notice is that PO4 dropped by half and my Alk decreased slightly. Everything else seems to be stable. Just thought that I would share my experience, some people seem to believe dosing too much amino acids can be detrimental, but here's a good example of over doing it! [emoji12] Just an anecdotal example of course. Any minute now my corals will burst out of the glass and blind me with their fluorescence 🤣

• Like 2

I discovered the same thing when I accidentally dumped 3/4 a bottle of Zeovit coral vitalizer and nothing happened good or bad. I begin wondering if this stuff really does anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I discovered the same thing when I accidentally dumped 3/4 a bottle of Zeovit coral vitalizer and nothing happened good or bad. I begin wondering if this stuff really does anything

Right?! Is this all snake oil??? I would love to do a controlled study and determine if we're being ripped off by these expensive additives...
  • Like 1

I feel like anytime I dose acro power or whatever seachem’s aminos are called I get a bad Dino outbreak. Haven’t tried since I started running the uv sterilizer. I’m scared to as my tank is cleaner than I’ve ever seen it. I still feel like the Dino situation and it getting worse when dosing pretty much anything could be caused my starting with completely dry, dead rock.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:41 PM, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

So I accidentally dosed a whole bottle of AcroPower last night. I hadn't been dosing in a while and I thought I would start dosing again to see if there was indeed a noticeable effect. I went to purge the lines and next thing I know it's morning and I realized I forgot to turn off the dosing pump! I thought for sure it would be a disaster, but everything looks fine today. The only thing I can notice is that PO4 dropped by half and my Alk decreased slightly. Everything else seems to be stable. Just thought that I would share my experience, some people seem to believe dosing too much amino acids can be detrimental, but here's a good example of over doing it! emoji12.png Just an anecdotal example of course. Any minute now my corals will burst out of the glass and blind me with their fluorescence 🤣

Amino acids are organic nitrogen which corals will consume along with or instead of inorganic forms.  What you don't know is what the daily production and consumption of organic and inorganic nitrogen is in your system.  That you saw a drop in PO4 suggests the acropower was probably a noticable increase in the the overall total of available nitrogen.  The risk is creating or exacerbating a phosphate deficiency.   This paper and this paper done on corals maintained in a ULN system found the coral/zooxanthellae simbiosis is really screwed up when the nitrogen/phosphate ratio gets out of whack.

If AcroPower truly has nothing but organic nitrogen, I would think dumping an entire bottle would result in a spike in nutrients. In reality, I saw a sharp dip in both nitrate and phosphate. The deluge of amino acids was on the 15th and nutrients hit their lowest levels the following day.
c716cded63141549d9cecfe20093b88d.jpg

So I accidentally dosed a whole bottle of AcroPower last night. I hadn't been dosing in a while and I thought I would start dosing again to see if there was indeed a noticeable effect. I went to purge the lines and next thing I know it's morning and I realized I forgot to turn off the dosing pump! I thought for sure it would be a disaster, but everything looks fine today. The only thing I can notice is that PO4 dropped by half and my Alk decreased slightly. Everything else seems to be stable. Just thought that I would share my experience, some people seem to believe dosing too much amino acids can be detrimental, but here's a good example of over doing it! [emoji12] Just an anecdotal example of course. Any minute now my corals will burst out of the glass and blind me with their fluorescence 🤣

And you want to be my latex salesman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice to know the nitrogen and phosphate content of Acropower.    The problem some people have with overdosing amino acids may not be the amino acids per se but they've created a nitrogen/phosphate imbalance.

It would be nice to know the nitrogen and phosphate content of Acropower.    The problem some people have with overdosing amino acids may not be the amino acids per se but they've created a nitrogen/phosphate imbalance.

That would be nice to know. I'm wondering if it has any real impact at all considering my anecdotal experience. Colors seem to be the same, growth is tough to gauge with acroporas in a week, the only quantifiable change was a dip in Alk, NO3, and PO4. [emoji848]