the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a real camera and took some shots from the frag tank this weekend.

CC Poison Ivy

CC Poison Ivy.jpg

ASD Rainbow Mille

ASD Rainbow Mille.jpg

ASD Ultimate Tort

ASD Ultimate Tort.jpg

Atlanta Chameleon Stag

Atlanta Chameleon.jpg

Emerald Mummy Eye

Emerald Mummy Eye.jpg

GB Tropic Sunset Mille

GB Tropic Sunset.jpg

Gonzos Purple Passion

Gonzos Purple Passion.jpg

JF Sour Twist

JF Sour Twist.jpg

JF Solar Flare Mille

JF Solar Flare Mille.jpg

Gonzos Lemon Lime Favia

Lemon Lime Favia.jpg

ORA Bellina

ORA Bellina.jpg

ORA Hawkins Echinata

ORA Hawkins Echinata.jpg

ORA Tricolor Valida

ORA Tricolor Valida.jpg

Reef Ready Grape Juice

Reef Ready Grape Juice.jpg

PC Rainbow

PC Rainbow.jpg

RMF Biohazard

RMF Biohazard.jpg\

Rommels Watermelon

Rommels Watermelon.jpg

RR The Vinh

RR The Vinh.jpg

SC Orange Passion

SC Orange Passion.jpg

Tyree Bali Tricolor

Tyree Bali Tricolor.jpg

Tyree Watermelon Chalice

Tyree Watermelon Chalice.jpg

WWC Night Rider

WWC Night Rider.jpg

WWC Terra Red

WWC Terra Red.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:

They look better than the colony shots from Battlecorals or Fraghouse.  Very nice! 

Wow that’s high praise. But I think Battlecorals looks more natural. I still need to learn how to adjust whitebalance to get the natural look. 

When you finally transfer those frags to your DT it's going to be amazing; such a great head start on growth.  Without a frag tank I've had to glue everything direct without the benefit of seeing the growth pattern and color mature a bit and just hope I made the right choice.

That RR the Vinh picture helped me to put that frag a bit more front and center in my tank yesterday.  I've had it on my frag rack to use as a filler later on, but I find that coral particularly beautiful.

1 hour ago, Sierra Bravo said:

When you finally transfer those frags to your DT it's going to be amazing; such a great head start on growth.  Without a frag tank I've had to glue everything direct without the benefit of seeing the growth pattern and color mature a bit and just hope I made the right choice.

That RR the Vinh picture helped me to put that frag a bit more front and center in my tank yesterday.  I've had it on my frag rack to use as a filler later on, but I find that coral particularly beautiful.

The Vinh is one of my favorites, for sure!  I love the color and the growth pattern.  One thing I am happy about is that the frag tank is basically an isolated, miniature version of the display tank, same lights, same equipment & philosophy (like use an ATS, calcium reactor, etc.)  The frags I have already transferred to the display seem to keep their colors and adjust pretty well.  They get clipped from the frag tank, no plug!  Then they get dipped for pests just to be sure, and head over to the display.

I'm not trying to sidestep the ridiculously amazing collection of acros you've assembled but is nobody else shocked as well that you just got the camera and took these amazing shots? I've had one for 2-3 months now and after seeing your pictures, I feel like I've been using one of those disposable cameras they used to sell in the 90s. Simply amazing Jolt, both the corals and the photography.

Please do share the equipment you're using and your technique for such amazing pictures!

• Like 1

Thanks Ty!  I took photography class in high school (back in the dark ages!).  We used manual  35mm cameras, developed our own film, and printed our own pictures in a darkroom.  It's funny, I was pretty good at it but I just never had a nice DSLR camera until two weeks ago.  But we learned a lot of things in that class and I guess I retained some of it :)

• Canon T7i with stock 18-55mm lens
  • Avast XL porthole
  • RAW mode ON
  • Manual mode ON
  • F8
  • ISO 400
  • Autofocus ON
  • Image Stabilization ON
  • All pumps off
  • Adobe Lightoom CC post process
    • whitebalance 16k
    • whites +20
    • blacks +20
    • exposure + 0.39

Thats basically it.  Some of the lightroom exposure settings varied since the lighting in the frag tank is not perfectly even.   Don't think I ever went above +1.2 though

• Like 2

Thanks Ty!  I took photography class in high school (back in the dark ages!).  We used manual  35mm cameras, developed our own film, and printed our own pictures in a darkroom.  It's funny, I was pretty good at it but I just never had a nice DSLR camera until two weeks ago.  But we learned a lot of things in that class and I guess I retained some of it [emoji4]
  • Canon T7i with stock 18-55mm lens
  • Avast XL porthole
  • RAW mode ON
  • Manual mode ON
  • F8
  • ISO 400
  • Autofocus ON
  • Image Stabilization ON
  • All pumps off
  • Adobe Lightoom CC post process
    • whitebalance 16k
    • whites +20
    • blacks +20
    • exposure + 0.39
Thats basically it.  Some of the lightroom exposure settings varied since the lighting in the frag tank is not perfectly even.   Don't think I ever went above +1.2 though

Good thing you have that long-term elephant memory! It really shows in the pictures!

Please do more of these posts! Tons of pictures! Would love to see pictures of your fish too!

Alright, I really need to get Adobe Lightroom and learn how to use it and take pictures in RAW format... Everyone that takes amazing pictures uses that combo too.

Thanks for sharing the info and also the amazing photos! Drool worthy!
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Good thing you have that long-term elephant memory! It really shows in the pictures!

Please do more of these posts! Tons of pictures! Would love to see pictures of your fish too!

Alright, I really need to get Adobe Lightroom and learn how to use it and take pictures in RAW format... Everyone that takes amazing pictures uses that combo too.

Thanks for sharing the info and also the amazing photos! Drool worthy!

I really like lightroom.  It took about 10 minutes to figure out, and its super easy to use

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reeflogic said:

Stunning photos! I'm with Ty, thank you for sharing your settings! Maybe I can take some "real" photos and not iphone blues!!! 😂 Killer selection too!!

Thank you!  And you're welcome :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more shots.  Hopefully I can find some time this memorial weekend to take a few more.  I have 3 days off and my 'todo' list would probably take 37 days 😮

RMF Flavor Parade

RMF Flavor Parade.jpg

Nick's Purple Passion

Nick's Purple Passion.jpg

• Like 4

Couple more shots.  Hopefully I can find some time this memorial weekend to take a few more.  I have 3 days off and my 'todo' list would probably take 37 days [emoji50]
RMF Flavor Parade
341905915_RMFFlavorParade.thumb.jpg.0cad1701eee1dfa164b22f98049e94b8.jpg
Nick's Purple Passion
592382589_NicksPurplePassion.thumb.jpg.f499f6a298de4a629fb1fc412ad32a47.jpg
Two? I started scrolling down drooling with excitement and it wouldn't let me scroll anymore. What a tease!