the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

Is 10 months about average for coralline showing up? The 20G I set up a few months back with dry pukani went through the dino stage which wasn't too bad as I kept the lights off. I did seed the tank with some gunk collected in floss from one of my other tanks and had a big explosion of amphipods which I personally think helped keep the algae from overgrowing while going through the "ugly" phase. I would wake up and see areas of rock that had algae on them the night before completely clean or very little algae left.
I noticed a few different colors of green encrusting algae starting to grow at about 2 or so months in, then my 1st couple of specs of purple coralline about another month later.
Was there no other purple coralline in the tank to start with? like on a snail shell or whatever?

My 75 gallon went live in September. I started with 100lbs of dry rock and 3 chunks of live rock. I'm just now starting to get some patches of coralline throughout the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Paula said:

My 75 gallon went live in September. I started with 100lbs of dry rock and 3 chunks of live rock. I'm just now starting to get some patches of coralline throughout the tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm sure the chunks of live rock really sped things up for your tank.  I'm being insanely paranoid with mine at the expense of LONG startup time (and some ribbing from a few folks too)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Kevin!  I'm really excited to begin the next phase [emoji4]
I'm looking forward to the next phase too! The mini colonies you have in the frag tank look amazing. I can't wait until they are paired with the amazing fish population! That's like combining PB and jelly! Match made in heaven!
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RicordeaFreak said:

Beautiful tank you got there Jolt! Anthias are my favorite saltwater fish. What type are these that you have?

Thank you! I bought them from LiveAquaria as Dispars, but I suspect they shipped me Ignitus.  Only difference I can tell is a little swatch of green at the base of the dorsal.

16 hours ago, jolt said:

Thank you! I bought them from LiveAquaria as Dispars, but I suspect they shipped me Ignitus.  Only difference I can tell is a little swatch of green at the base of the dorsal.

They are really pretty, am I counting 6? Whats the male to female ratio you have and how often do you feed them? One things i've read about Anthias being a bit difficult was that you had to feed them multiple times to a day prevent starvation because they eat a lot.

16 minutes ago, RicordeaFreak said:

They are really pretty, am I counting 6? Whats the male to female ratio you have and how often do you feed them? One things i've read about Anthias being a bit difficult was that you had to feed them multiple times to a day prevent starvation because they eat a lot.

Yes there are 6, and the ratio is 1:5.  I feed them mysis in the morning before I leave for work.  I then feed flake when I get home from work around 5:30.  And then I feed a mix of Rod's, mysis, fish roe, oyster eggs around 8 o'clock.  I soak the last feeding in selcon and vitachem for 30 minutes.

@ recordeafreak  Anthias are sequential hermaphrodites like clowns and wrasses but the terminal phase is male like the wrasses.  It's best to get a group of females and let one change sex on it's own.  Getting a male might be an issue if one of the females had already started changing sex and progressed far enough it could not switch back.   Some anthias are very particular but I've kept Disbar and Lyretail successfully with an autofeeder feeding .5mm pellets mixed with Two Fishes Zooplankton (Reef Roids should work as well or better) 4 times a day along with occasional frozen.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Timfish said:

@ recordeafreak  Anthias are sequential hermaphrodites like clowns and wrasses but the terminal phase is male like the wrasses.  It's best to get a group of females and let one change sex on it's own.  Getting a male might be an issue if one of the females had already started changing sex and progressed far enough it could not switch back.   Some anthias are very particular but I've kept Disbar and Lyretail successfully with an autofeeder feeding .5mm pellets mixed with Two Fishes Zooplankton (Reef Roids should work as well or better) 4 times a day along with occasional frozen.

Good point.  I bought 6 females and one went male after a while

Do any of these new introductions look like tasty morels Mr. Bandit???? 
(so far the acan is fat and puffy after two days in the ring [emoji33])
IMG_3472.thumb.JPG.2d8d1776f4d29d29b9ff37e367adc953.JPG
Can we have a contest on who can guess the closest timeframe before those acans become a snack for the bandit? I got 3 weeks. [emoji16]
  • Like 1