Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meg wanted to move a plug that was in the Damsel's territory. The Damsel was having none of it, even with death threats.

CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the tank yesterday, I read the whole thread this morning just to see the process. Great job documenting the build Dan, although after seeing the final result yesterday, I'm not at all surprised at how well planned out it was.

Question going back to the stand build: What is the inside of your stand painted with?

I know Robert used Kilz primer, but I'm not sure what if anything else. He also sealed every joint. The level of detail he put in the interior of the stand is quite impressive.

Silicone. Basically if something were to leak inside the stand, it would fill up the bottom of the stand. I think it can hold about 20+ gallons so hopefully it would contain any minor leaks, and the Apex leak detection would let me know before it's a catastrophe.

Ha! Turned him into a gif. That's awesome.

It is by far the cutest creature in our tank. He only comes out every few months, but every time he does we just love watching him perform.

So in light of the CO2 data in getting from my Netatmo module, I've come to the conclusion that our house must be tightly sealed... The CO2 levels inside can get well above 1000ppm when we're home, especially when we have a few guests over. I'm not surprised as we had the house go through an energy audit and efficiency upgrades last year, and part of that was resealing the doors and windows.

So I decided to run a silicone air hose through the wall to the outside to suck in fresh air for the skimmer. So far the pH seems to be staying higher even when the house has high CO2. I'll monitor this over the next few days and see if it makes a substantial difference. And of course I'll post some data. :)

You can see that even though I kept the windows closed all day today, the pH came up pretty good, vs you can see on the 26th, I had the windows open for some time and got the CO2 down really low which spiked the pH.

c9febdbb289d67eeb3a016266e58dd46.jpgbfbf996d69854860cff30cbf328b1492.jpg

Wow. It's definitely making a difference overnight. It's at the highest overnight pH by a decent amount. Right now it's at 8.05 and normally it's around 7.9 at this time.

136ac52ce34df4bcff3537428a71d3ac.jpg

+ 0.15 wave.gif

Spot on. :) That's pretty cool that it did essentially repeat the same data on 2 different systems. Now to see if it continues like this over multiple days. I suppose a big test will be next time we have a large group of people over, or the house gets way up in the +1000ppm CO2 range.

The only negative I can tell at this point is the heater did have to kick on more than normal overnight, which makes sense considering it's sucking in 40 degree air at the moment. And of course more stuff going through the wall.

One thing to note if your running a skimmer air line outside it is in your best interest to put a canister filter with washed bituminous carbon that is changed every quarter. This will ensure no contaminants make it into your tank. Like if your neighbor is spraying pesticides or fungicides or other assorted lawn chemicals.

They maybe doing this to flea treat their yard, spray for weeds or tending roses or other decorative plants (a rose garden requires lots of chemicals)

Some of there chemicals are extremely volatile in terms of wind and tempature. It could be a neighbor 3 houses down.

I run all my skimmer airlines outside or up to the attic and to a gable vent for this reason.

I'm really interested in the Carx effluent line going into your skimmer Venturi. How is that going?

Seems to be going well. The pH didn't really have any noticeable change compared to the effluent being processed in the air box. The positive thing is that because it's "sucking" on the effluent line, the effluent seems to be more consistent on flow.

Good advice on the air filter. I had planned to get one. The chemical sprays is an excellent point.

Archived