Biggest "ah ha" moment you've had in reefing

FarmerTy

The biggest "ah ha" for me in 2015 is learning why my Alk plummeted taking most of my acros with it. crappy intake pump, clogged return line, and crummy pH probe. Really the biggest "ah ha" moment is deciding not to buy so much used equipment, it seems to cost more in the long run when it fails a year later. Calcium reactor, pH probe, MP40's, ballasts, etc etc doh.gif

To be honest, and I'm sorry if I get preachy, it happened just recently reading Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas". It has been obvious to me for a couple of decades when looking at how successful very divergent and even contradictory methodologies for keeping reef systems that we all are missing something. Rohwer's DDAMnation model of reef degradation and it's highlighting of the role of DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) plays in coral disease and the importance of DIN (Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen, ie, ammonium, nitrite and nitrate) and phosphate for the health of corals and their holobiont I think provides badly needed insight on how reef systems work. The simple maintenance regime I used (largely because it was expedient) of small frequent water changes and siphoning out and removing nuisance algae as it appeared seems to me after reading Rohwer's book important to keep some parameters, I unfortunately cannot test for, at levels that has let me maintain multiple systems, fish and corals for decades without the use of skimmers, reactors or supplements.

You have to know your parameters, to have good parameters. Sounds silly but most strive for a better tank but have no clue what any of their levels are.

Also, everybody has an opinion, and there is a ton of information out there (and equally a ton of misinformation) on the hobby. If you have an idea of the type of tank you want, look for someone that has it and start asking questions. After browsing some of the national forums over the years, you just run into a lot of people who talk all day long, but their own personal tanks leave more to be desired. Preach it, teach it, and live it. Your tank is your resume. That's what defines their ability to absorb knowledge and also apply it. In my prior career, that's the difference between theory and application. There are plenty that can regurgitate information, look for those that can apply the techniques, their advice would be the one I heed to follow when first starting out. I was lead astray many times when I first started out until I learned that lesson. Can I see your tank? A good first question to anyone with advice to give.

They may run an Sps tank when you want to run a zoa dominated tank, so their advice sometimes doesn't apply. They may be running a 5,000 gallon high tech tank, when you are running a low tech, natural pico... again, most of their advice may not apply.

If you run a higher powered pump (eheim compact 600) for your ATO, don't run the tubing directly into the water. Let it hang and fall in instead. If not, when the sensor shuts off the pump,it will create a backwards siphon and drain your sump water back into your ATO container. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. . . . . . .

If you run a higher powered pump (eheim compact 600) for your ATO, don't run the tubing directly into the water. Let it hang and fall in instead. If not, when the sensor shuts off the pump,it will create a backwards siphon and drain your sump water back into your ATO container. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. . . . . . .

I think we've all learned that lesson personally once or twice in this hobby... siphons were personally invented to thwart saltwater hobbiests.

My ah-ha moment was realizing the red sea instructions for SPS were way off.

I kept chasing the numbers trying to get to 12.6 Alk, 465 CA, and 1390 Mg for "SPS Corals, Frags' Clams Accelerated growth". This caused so much trouble and hassle.

I ended up asking Ty what he keeps his at as well as checking out Tank of the Month info on reefcentral and now I am running 8 Alk, 430 CA, and 1400 Mg.

My calcium reactor has helped so much and I will never recommend someone use kalk with all the problems I've had.

Don't work on your tank when your mad, irritated, arguing with your spouse, tired or otherwise emotionally or mentally distracted. You will make an error.

Angry glass cleaning works fairly well as long as you stay away from the sandbed.

And the silicone :(

Don't work on your tank when your mad, irritated, arguing with your spouse, tired or otherwise emotionally or mentally distracted. You will make an error.

Angry glass cleaning works fairly well as long as you stay away from the sandbed.

I've had too many to count. Like right now for example!

There is an old addage in the dog training world (my mom): " you don't have to train a dog, you have to train the handler! The dog is just following his instincts."

This might apply to reef tanks as well. " You can't train a tank, you have to learn the tank."

Each tank I've had has been different. And thiough I've done little more than continuiously modify MY systems pertaining to the tank; I've only done so as a reaction to how the tank is "acting". Also, like a master dog trainer, the things one is paying attention to become increasingly more miniscule as the cycle progresses....from Amonia, to Ni, to Na, to Po, to KH &Ca, to Mg, and then on to trace.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had quite a few. But my biggest "ah ha" moment is when my chalice started losing flesh and then I saw some other sps in the tank stn or rtn and I realized that my alk was low! I am a more hands off and let it all handle itself overtime but I realize dang I need to raise my alk. Thought i was doing a good job but not so much. Kinda wonder if low alk contributed to my GHA cause since having raised my alk my gha is withered away. Alkalinity rules!!!!!

That large numbers of coral will eat all your PO4 and you can stop trying to export it. Don't starve your corals. IE immature tanks needs exportation where mature tanks with lots of coral need a steady supply !

That large numbers of coral will eat all your PO4 and you can stop trying to export it. Don't starve your corals. IE immature tanks needs exportation where mature tanks with lots of coral need a steady supply !

Just learned this one first hand during a period from around November -January. Sure am glad I figured it out.

You have to know your parameters, to have good parameters. Sounds silly but most strive for a better tank but have no clue what any of their levels are.

Also, everybody has an opinion, and there is a ton of information out there (and equally a ton of misinformation) on the hobby. If you have an idea of the type of tank you want, look for someone that has it and start asking questions. After browsing some of the national forums over the years, you just run into a lot of people who talk all day long, but their own personal tanks leave more to be desired. Preach it, teach it, and live it. Your tank is your resume. That's what defines their ability to absorb knowledge and also apply it. In my prior career, that's the difference between theory and application. There are plenty that can regurgitate information, look for those that can apply the techniques, their advice would be the one I heed to follow when first starting out. I was lead astray many times when I first started out until I learned that lesson. Can I see your tank? A good first question to anyone with advice to give.

They may run an Sps tank when you want to run a zoa dominated tank, so their advice sometimes doesn't apply. They may be running a 5,000 gallon high tech tank, when you are running a low tech, natural pico... again, most of their advice may not apply.

My biggest "ah ha" moment was about 2 minutes ago when I realized this is me. unsure.png

My biggest "ah ha" moment was about 2 minutes ago when I realized this is me. unsure.png
In which role? Adviser or advisee? [emoji23]

Archived