Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys well this here marks my #101 post so let's do this big! Maybe not big because I have a big cellular respiration quiz and federal government test tomorrow that I am studying for tonight. However, tomorrow I start my weekend so I will definitely get to it. To keep you guys posted, I did check my parameters last night and here is what I got

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5ppm

SG: 1.025

Temp: Lights on 82F/Lights off 80F (I ran my old tank at 78 all day and all night. Unfortunately with the added light bulbs, the heaters don't come on during the day and the tank is maintained at 82 degrees just with the lights themselves. Due to this, and not wanting too big of a swing at night, I decided to set the heaters to 80 degrees.)

Ca: 420

Alk: 9.6 dKH

Mg: 1320 ppm

Again, everything is going well. I am going through a diatom bloom at the moment. I am glad to see this so early on. During my first setup, it took over a month to see a diatom bloom.

One setback (well more of a pain then setback) that I have had was with my skimmer. Unfortunately when I plugged it in, it did not work. Upon further inspection, it turns out the impeller magnet is swelled too much to be able to rotate so now I must drop an extra $40 on a new impeller. Fortunately I do have my reef octopus HOB skimmer which I have hanging on my sump at the moment. Other than that, o and a minor sump issue, all is well and fish are enjoying their new homes. More pictures to come tomorrow and I am sure there will be at least one photobombed picture in there. Anytime he sees the camera, he is very quick to run in and get in the way. Would be nice if he would at least smile instead of making an awkward face. Anyhow, thanks for stopping by everyone. Check back tomorrow evening for the pictures. Have a great night.

DISCLAIMER: I SAW A POST WHERE JEEPERTY SAID WHITE AQUARIUMS MAKE HIM VOMIT SO TY, YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO SEE THE REST OF THIS.

It's late but here it is guys. Let's jump right into the pictures.

IMG_0503_zpsf76f084a.jpg IMG_0501_zps5fd03184.jpgIMG_0499_zps67023733.jpgIMG_0498_zps7af737f4.jpgIMG_0496_zps77ebc181.jpgIMG_0495_zps25555eaf.jpgIMG_0493_zps1daee611.jpgIMG_0492_zps407c95e2.jpg

Here is a side just. Please excuse the lack of clarity. THe lights had been on for only an hour and I had just cleaned the glass and stirred the sandbed IMG_0491_zpsaf335205.jpgIMG_0490_zpsef3f686a.jpgIMG_0488_zps4b7ded7f.jpgIMG_0485_zps7c66334d.jpgIMG_0479_zps9ff8c1bc.jpgIMG_0478_zps6a397758.jpg

I would like to mention that the white wasn't really my idea. These are the bulbs that came with the setup. I will be adding two more blue bulbs here in the very near future. Hopefully TY can not get nauseated when he see's it then. You can see the reef octopus HOB skimmer on there. Like I mentioned yesterday, that is because the pump for the bigger skimmer has a messed up impeller. i will be ordering the impeller soon. Then I will remove the HOB and tidy up all my cords in there. I also still have to add my dual media reactor from BRS. Jonathan will be helping me to run that off of my return pump. I do have a surge protector hidden in the back. That will also be mounted on the stand as soon as I get rid of the skimmer. Other than that . . .

That's it guys. I know it's not much but it's mine. I'm happy with it. Give me a few months a you will see what I do with it. lastly, home (tank) warming gifts are always accepted! :) Enjoy.

Looking good bud. lol that comment you made there. Reminds me of Full Metal Jacket.

"THIS IS MY FISH TANK!!!! THERE ARE MANY OTHERS LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!!"

Here is a better picture. IMG_0476_zps6dd470ce.jpg

I went with a minimal aquascape here. Still haven't decided if i should add more rock or keep the minimal scape. I do like it this way. I have several hiding spots and caves for my fish. But if I add more rock, there is more surface for bacteria to attach. I will be adding more rubble to my sump most likely. I forgot to mention that I will be using a color background, either black or blue. I went to petco to buy one and they are currently sold out.

Looking good bud. lol that comment you made there. Reminds me of Full Metal Jacket.

"THIS IS MY FISH TANK!!!! THERE ARE MANY OTHERS LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!!"

Such a classic. Can you believe I didn't actually see that movie until 2 years after boot camp.

The tank is looking great.

Thank you. It is really appreciated.

Good luck on your exams tomorrow!

You were my good luck charm. I really was fearing my metabolism and cellular respiration concept maps. I got a 96% on my Federal Government exam and surprisingly, I was the only one to get a 100% on my concept map exam. It was worth a big part of my grade so I am stoked.

That's great! Looking forward to pics.

+1... get on it. lol... and we want them photo-bombed by the little one too!

Sorry. I took these early in the morning right after I cleaned the glass. My son was still asleep. Maybe next time you will see his goofy self pop up in the pictures.

Though I am disappointed by the lack of photo-bombing-little-man awesomeness... The tank looks beautiful! I'm always so impressed at how organized some of your sump areas are as mine ALWAYS look a mess. The DT looks awesome as well. I really like the open scape you have going on and that flamefin is gorgeous!

Bluh! Haha. Just kidding. I only have a gut reaction to <10k spectrums. You are looking like a pearly white 12k-14k to me.

Tank is looking good sir! Btw, I vote for a dark blue background just because I want one and don't currently have it myself.

Bluh! Haha. Just kidding. I only have a gut reaction to <10k spectrums. You are looking like a pearly white 12k-14k to me.

Tank is looking good sir! Btw, I vote for a dark blue background just because I want one and don't currently have it myself.

TY I forgot to mention that I am only running 6 bulbs instead of the full 8 bulbs. Why? Two reasons. I didn't want to bleach any coral and reason number 2, they are white bulbs as well. Haha. Can you imagine how bright white this would be if I added those? I seriously need to get on those new bulbs ASAP.

I went with a minimal aquascape here. Still haven't decided if i should add more rock or keep the minimal scape. I do like it this way. I have several hiding spots and caves for my fish. But if I add more rock, there is more surface for bacteria to attach. I will be adding more rubble to my sump most likely. I forgot to mention that I will be using a color background, either black or blue. I went to petco to buy one and they are currently sold out.

Live rock is over rated for biofiltration. Substrate and rock rubble provide plenty of surface for bacteria.

Patrick

PS. Your rockscape is gorgeous. Very nice contrast of texture. Looking good.

Patrick I thought it was the other way around. I thought live sand was overrated for bio filtration. Thanks for clarifying things for me.

Live sand is overrated. Just add dry sand and it will be colonized by bacteria. When I think of live sand; worms, snails, micro fauna and fana come to mind. Good quality diver collected, uncured live rock would provide biodiversity. Most live rock sold today is curated in tank cultures and has coralline and bacteria only.

Patrick

I second the blue background, I have mine painted blue and I love it

Live rock is over rated for biofiltration. Substrate and rock rubble provide plenty of surface for bacteria.

Patrick

PS. Your rockscape is gorgeous. Very nice contrast of texture. Looking good.

I just saw your last statement there. Thanks Patrick. Man you guys are making me feel satisfied with this aquascape.

Archived