Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

Nice pics and growth on the bigger stuff so far. We have several of the same pieces and it's amazing to see the color difference in some of them. Just complete night and day different hues. My raspberry cheesecake could now easily be mistaken for green slimer. Yours looks more turquoise/teal. I wonder if either of us will get the pale teal color with dark red polyps it had before I chopped up the big colony.

Plating montis make the best stages for an amazing SPS colony. wave.gif

I'd doublecheck what kind of pests you have Manny. The AEFW shouldn't have attacked the stylophoras. They are known to only attack acroporas. If your stylophoras were affected, either you got a vicious strain that is now going after stylophoras or you may have some type of other pest.

The stylo was definitely affected. I thought it was AEFW. I had all the new frags from the frag swap on an acrylic frags rack. I dipped. A few weeks later I noticed the acros starting to show bitemarks. I dipped again on all except rainbow stylo. It later started showing what looked like bitemarks and it almost seemed like the tissue was just falling off. I dipped ALL acros again and included the stylo. No problems since then and the rainbow stylo has been quickly recovering. Who knows the ultimate answer behind it all. As of right now, they appear pest free.

Update time. Well not much has happened lately. I have been pretty busy with school but still have been able to dedicate a good amount of time to my tank.

My royal gramma, who was purchased last year from saltwaterfish.com during their black Friday sale, has went missing. It's been almost two weeks now and no signs of it. It probably died (or got killed by the con artist 6 line wrasse who seems like an angel) and is under a rock somewhere waiting to be eaten by the shrimp and crabs. I am starting to see missing scales on the side of my blue green chromis so I wonder if I have an aggressor in the tank. I watch it quite a bit every day and don't see any aggression so I don't know what is going on.

As for the RCP program, I am still testing often and trying to maintain parameters. I dosed nitrates and phosphates. I set them to .04 ppm phosphates and 1.50 ppm nitrates. They were steady for a whole week so I went ahead and added my first dose of NOPOX last night. Per instructions, I will follow that dose and check where I am at a week later. I will adjust as needed. I have also started using reef energy once again. I was waiting to start NOPOX before I started using reef energy again.

Now I have not used the foundation portion of it in a while. For some reason, my calcium and magnesium are staying stable while my alkalinity keeps dropping. It is steadily dropping at a rate of 1.2 ppm per week. I am dosing sodium carbonate but I think I might need to dose more because even with what I dose I still can't keep the dKH up. Any thoughts on this? I know maybe one of the first thoughts would probably be testing methods. That did come to mind but I have been testing a lot lately and have not changed my method of testing. I am still watching this drop. I am very careful with testing and try to keep all my equipment absolutely clean. Also, we have to realized that using red sea's alkalinity test kit is not hard at all. There is one reagent to drop in and that is it. I need to get with Jonathan to get a second opinion on a water sample just to rule this possibility out but I highly doubt it has to do with my testing methods. Any thoughts guys? This seems to be the only element that is being taken up at a rapid rate. The others don't even have to be dosed more than once every two weeks because they are consumed so slow. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyhow, that is about it for now. No new pictures. Not yet at least.

O and one last thing, I bought a frag at the swap under the name of strawberry shortcake acro. I doubted this from the get go but kept calling it that for now until it got a little bigger. I now, as before, think it is a pink pocillipora. O well.

That would put your makeup at about 77.1 ml of 2 part alk. That's about 10.1 ml per day. I am dosing about 8ml per day in my 32 gallon, for reference.

When I mix 5 gallons of saltwater in a bucket it drops about .4 dKH per week if I leave it alone with a pump running in the bucket.

1.2 DKH drop per week is so far about average in my 90; also, Mg drops WAY faster than Ca.

This is why I don't dose the three in one yet. After reading your posts, I beleive my turf scrubber is using the Mg, and perhaps raising PH to uptake KH (?.) faster than my currently small amount of corals are using Ca.

Not exactly sure on the chemistry yet, still kind of looking, but experimenting with light timing to Mg uptake via scrubber.

I'll let you know if I see any trends.