14g fw to sw Conversion

Gonzo59

Calcium phosphate can be deposited as a solid precipitate and it may never leach out unless chemistry changes. If a hobbiest used limewater to control alkalinity, it would be normal for phosphate to precipitate out and bind with calcium. It is very stable in this form. However, cynobacteria is very resourceful and will produce enzymes to dissolve and utilize this source of phosphate.

interesting. i didn't introduce cyano for my test :).

This response does not compute. Please explain what it means.

Patrick

Calcium phosphate can be deposited as a solid precipitate and it may never leach out unless chemistry changes. If a hobbiest used limewater to control alkalinity, it would be normal for phosphate to precipitate out and bind with calcium. It is very stable in this form. However, cynobacteria is very resourceful and will produce enzymes to dissolve and utilize this source of phosphate.

interesting. i didn't introduce cyano for my test smile.png.

Patrick

i tested my rock for phosphate leeching by bubbling it in a small amount of water for 10 days. but, the above was just a joke that i didn't account for cyano pulling phosphates out with an enzyme, so my test was invalid.

Hmmm, interesting. I used a ph buffer in the beginning but I think it was a base not an acid. So maybe my phosphates are coming from elsewhere; now that I have been hand removing it from my rock and substrate I have noticed that it is growing very slow on the rocks (almost like the rock is using phosphate too fast for it) but it is growing rather fast on the substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle,

Limewater is a base used to adjust pH. It also has calcium. As it is added to aquarium, at the area of addition the calcium concentration and the pH are both elevated providing a perfect environment for calcium phosphate to precipitate out. That is how substrate and rock get coated with phosphate. I thought you posted early in this thread that you were given the substrate from another hobbiest,

Patrick

I got a few scoops from him I sees my tank. I used API's proper ph. Which I think is mainly calcium bicarbonate... So that possibly could have the same effect; right?

The sand was crushed aragonite that I rinsed rather thoroughly... Might still have some phosphates though.

I've heard good things about chemo clean but haven't really given in thought in my system because I don't have a skimmer or reactor to take the decomposing cyano slime out

It does not work like that. If you can stand the drive, you can use my stash of it. Just bring it back within a week.

I got a few scoops from him I sees my tank. I used API's proper ph. Which I think is mainly calcium bicarbonate... So that possibly could have the same effect; right?

Yes

Give it time.

Cyano, GHA, diatoms, etc are all part of the normal cycle process IMO/IME.

I'd like to think that I just don't have any previous experience.

How long do your algae waves normally last?

interesting. i didn't introduce cyano for my test :).

Patrick

i tested my rock for phosphate leeching by bubbling it in a small amount of water for 10 days. but, the above was just a joke that i didn't account for cyano pulling phosphates out with an enzyme, so my test was invalid.

Dennis,

The test that you did was appropriate. Calcium phosphate is normally very stable. Organic phosphate is not able to be tested for with hobbiest test kits. Organic phosphate is normally tied up with excess food and detritus in substrate.

Patrick

Give it time.

Cyano, GHA, diatoms, etc are all part of the normal cycle process IMO/IME.

I'd like to think that I just don't have any previous experience.

How long do your algae waves normally last?

Kyle,

Each tank cycle is different. You will not get an absolute answer to that question. After 12 years with the same set up, I can testify that things can change and bring the algae wave on. Exercise good aquarium husbandry and things will stabilize. If you had kept your cyno eating mollies, you would not have to be exercising the turkey baster as a vacuum cleaner.

Seize the day,

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

gu5ahe9y.jpg

Tank is doing great! Lost my female clown do to ich though :( It was an odd circumstance the neon goby would try to clean her and she thought he was battling for territory so she would attack him; the neon got ich due to missing most I it's dorsal fin an the top of its tail fin and passed away. The female clown must have been stressed about territory and passed too... It was sad she was a very beautiful fish.

Sorry.

While I do not consider skimmers necessary for reef keeping, I have gotten on board with UV sterilizers. On my only two display tanks, I operate 40W UV sterilizers 24/7.

I have a 20G high tank with a 5W sterilizer. In addition to handling ich infestations, it makes the tank water sparkling clean. I also feel it would help you with your cynobacteria problem. Be sure, cyno is a very unique bacteria in that it shares photosynthesis with higher life forms. That is why it is so resourceful.

Get you one.

Patrick

I'll definitely look into getting one that can fit in my setup because the male has a case of ich as well... Hopefully his immune system will beat it sense there are no stress factors for him but I don't think I'll ever get designer fish again, from everything I read a clown should be able to beat ich hands down

Be sure, the parasite is in your system. I do not subscribe that 28 days is sufficient to rid a tank of ich. Neither is 60 days. I have had a system with no additions for more than a year. After a stress event, ich was everywhere.

I'll definitely look into getting one that can fit in my setup because the male has a case of ich as well... Hopefully his immune system will beat it sense there are no stress factors for him but I don't think I'll ever get designer fish again, from everything I read a clown should be able to beat ich hands down

To me, Nemo is beautiful, hardy and a joy to watch swim. It is almost like the tail wagging the dog. The temperament of the Ocellarius Clown is a joy to have in any aquarium. As you already noted, designer fish cost more and normally are less hardy.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Spent the last few months stocking full of life and battling cyano. Now I just sit back and enjoy! It has really come together.

Stock list:

Randall's Prawn goby/ pistol shrimp combo

2 hybrid misbar clowns

Misc. zoas and palys

Trumpet coral

Mint pavona ( more brown under my CF's)

Green polyp toadstool

Small dendro colony

Red montipora

Blue striped shroom

Hairy shroom

Purple shroom

Orange rhodactis shroom

Xenia

Gsp

your going to wake up one morning and your beautiful garden will be gone. replaced with a yellow lab and a clown loach. the dream will be over...

and then i will sneak off with your collection and you'll be none the wiser, mauh, ha, ha.

you'll also oddly have a life again...a coincidence for sure.

Edited by Bluemoon
  • Like 1