LED fans or haters please READ THIS

Chad and Belinda

I want a fresh perspective on LEDs from ACR members who either own a LED fixture or had a one and got rid of it.

If you got one and love it, why? Which on do you have?

If you had one but got rid of it, why? Which one did you have? What did you go back to?

We are considering a Maxspect Razor 160w. I loved their old models and really like the thought of a full spectrum units.

I recently (within the last 6 months) acquired a Reefbreeders Photon 48 fixture and have been very happy with it. I had a MH fixture, but wanted to get something that ran cooler since my tank is built in. The frags I put in afterwards have shown some decent growth (SPS and zoas). I also have a hammer, BTA, candy cane, and various brains and acans that also seem to be doing good and really open up when the light come on. This is my first LED and I don't think I'll ever go back.

I have two 48" BML fixtures I bought from the Dome. I think they are the Reef Spectrum ones. I really like them, and things in the tank have done great (went from 2 150w MH). Some Symposium I have really took off after I added the LEDs.

I really like the edge-to-edge lighting I get with LEDs.

I got AI Vega color and I love them. I like how I can still use some setting with out a controller and that j don't need to hook up a laptop to change setting. I do have the wireless controller and I'm able to do so many things and change all the lighting percentage really easy. I also have a program to acclimate corals to the light through the controller. I can also upgrade pucks if I want so much versatility with the AI Vegas and apex is coming out with a module soon or you can get directors cut when it comes out. It's an easy light to set up and have many options. Cover 24x24 are so only need 2 for my 120g sps dominated tank. Lights are super strong I have my highest setting at 75% took me a while to get my setting right but everything is doing great.

I have mine set at

Whites 55%

Reds 45%

Green 40%

Blues are at 75%

I have lps, sps, some chalice, one clam and zoas everything is doing great

Y'all can stop by anytime and check them out but I highly recommend the AI Vegas

I had several LED setups with varying success so on my current build, I went with halide. I think LED is *almost* there but not quite, and I'm less concerned about heat and energy efficiency than result.

Having said that, I do have a PAR38 LED flood for my frag/gorg tank and it thrives. IMO: LED has some tight spectrums and if you have the right LED with the right livestock; the tank will thrive. Have that spectrum off and it won't be so happy.

As far as LED fixtures go, the BML fixtures are some of the best I've seen. The spectrum are good, they look appealing, and the form factor is nice. Good price, they are a sponsor, and the fact they are local are an added bonus IMO. biggrin.png I will replace my sump lighting with one of their lower K fixtures in about 2 months but other things are at the top of the priority list right now. I like how Patrick's macros are looking under the BML fixtures and my sump is full of caulerpa....

I think in a few years the LED prices will come down, will have better spectrums, and be an almost plug-and-play no-brainer choice. In the interim, I'm taking a hybrid approach on my tanks and using several light sources, tailored to the requirements for the inhabitants. I'm neither a fan nor a hater; LED is just another tool in the box.

I've played with the Orphik PR 156 (roughly comparable to older AI Sols) and was unhappy with it and replaced it with 3 (2 Custom Reef and 1 Super Actinic) of BuildMyLED.com fixtures and love them. Specifically Red Plating Monti, Frogspawn and Pink Birdsnest that did poorly with just CW and RB LEDs are doing great with the much better spectrum.

I have several LED fixtures from other people that have either had a problem with drivers failing (inadequate thermal managment???) or fans failing. Clearly not all fixtures are created equal.

Started with evolution 150s and didn't like the color and growth I was having. I added 2 3' fixtures from Build my led that added yellow, green, red, and more white.

I eventually traded my 6' vhos for 2 3' super actinic fixtures from BML and had an immediate difference in growth and color.

Eventually I'd like to go all Build my Led or try one of the ATI t-5/led combos that some of the Zeovit guys are using.

BML = Build My LED correct? Can you all share what spectrum is working best for you? I know that depends on the tank set up and I have a mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, and softies like zoas and leather. I have a 72 gal bowfront that I need to add an ~24" strip to the front to get some light over the front bow of the tank.

So what do todays LEDs offer that the ones that were built 3 years ago do not? The only thing I see that is obvious is full spectrum.  

Full spectrum and efficiency

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

BML = Build My LED correct? Can you all share what spectrum is working best for you? . . .

So what do todays LEDs offer that the ones that were built 3 years ago do not? The only thing I see that is obvious is full spectrum.

Some LED fixtures are still only using Cool White (6500K) and Royal Blue (approx. 450nm) although some are also including Blue (470nm). This is too narrow a blue spectrum for many fluorescing proteins to re-emit (get excited) and for some chromo proteins to reflect light. BuildMyLED.com uses additional 405nm UV (chlorophyll is using wavelengths as short as 350nm) in their super actinic and "14000K" fixtures. Additional green, cyan, amber and/or red leds are used to accentuate the spectrum by different LED manufacturers, BuildMyLED uses green and red in their Custom Reef and "14000K"

If I was to get just one fixture it would be the "14000K" as it has the UV leds. For a whiter looking tank I like the combination of two of the Custom Reef and 1 of the super actinic.

I loved my kessils, I had the 350w they had a great color light! I'm back to t5 as I am doing an all sps tank but they are great lights! I also dropped them in the tank on accident and they still worked :P I also tried the bml light to add the missing colors from other lights and was very very impressed

Very little scientific testing has been done to verify which spectrum is required by corals and macros. Many in the hobby have stepped out on there own and experimented. In most cases, the results are not objective and there are mixed opinions. Because some coral can adjust to different spectrum, there is no conclusive evidence to the full range of spectrum required by all corals. It is for this reason that I am not solely embracing LED technology.

In my experience, the term full spectrum LED is an oxymoron. It would be more accurate to use the term, mixed spectrum. In this spectrum mix, one hopes to satisfy the needs of tank inhabitants.

Patrick

PS:

With respect to LED, I like BML lamps. Very slick and durable. To date I have only used there 12K Reef Spectrum. I have never been a fan of the blue lagoon look. For me, 12K gives good florescence spectrum by the coral response. At this color, the reds, yellows and greens have good sharp contrast in their colors. But that is just me.

For what its worth I have bought many of frags from ARC members with led of all kinds, You can not compare the color deference between MH and led. With that being said I have tried a couple different LED with no success (ReefBreeder and an off brand) I do have a small frag tank with Par 38 that is doing good.

I think it's you get what you pay for there's a reason AI Vegas and radions stay on top and priced so high I think and I don't have to have many fixtures to accomplish what I want color wise. I am sticking with LEd as I've seen my personal corals coloring back up and growing. I see a lot of people with other led's and well the color looks ok in there tank but when I put it in mine it's brown. Corals I get from friends with radions and AI the color stays when I get them in the tank but I notice alot of people running their led too high and the corals semi bleaching so I think if you get some make sure you can dimm them.

Just my experience, I had LEDs in 2008. Just blue and white. Everything grew just fine. Better than expected. They were DIY and the wires I used failed so I had to upgrade. I won a bml fixture at a bml tour and was super impressed. Yes you need multiple fixtures but I really like them. Now i have three sets. On my fw planted tank and my reef. My reef is happy and growing using their reef spectrum and super actinic spectrum. And you can contact nick (one of the owners) and he is more than willing to help build exactly what you are looking for.

SubSea saia

With respect to LED, I like BML lamps. Very slick and durable. To date I have only used there 12K Reef Spectrum. I have never been a fan of the blue lagoon look. For me, 12K gives good florescence spectrum by the coral response. At this color, the reds, yellows and greens have good sharp contrast in their colors. But that is just me.

I have to agree w/ this statement. I came from CF lighting over to LED w/ the new tank set up. Began w/ 12k and actinic only on a 50 /50 setup of 288 watts on a 75 G and ran them at 240 watts. But additionally it was not until I added an additional 72 watts of mixed royal blue, red, green and UV that i started to see healthier corals and better growth. It seems that corals use a pretty wide spectrum of color temps. However they of course do not use them all equally. There in lies the problem w/ LEDs, who knows how much of what to provide. This is where the research is going now. At first it was two colors, then three and now they are saying 5 -6 minimal. I am seeing pretty good growth now with my 6 color spectrum so IME I would sa7y better to go big and provide as much diverity as possible, however i still avoid the yellow colors and the below 6500k whites to minimize the algae potential.

So what is the benefit of LEDs besides the usual power consumption and, heat, longevity, ect... I would say the ability to build a custom spectrum, and the ability to add and change spectrum as needed w/ improving science and technology.

In addition when switching over to LEDs from another light source, most SPS corals will expel much of their current zooxanthellae algae & bleach out to some degree due to the need for a different zooxanthellae algae when exposed to the new light source. So there is a period of time between 3 - 6 months before your coral will color up to the LEDs.

I have 5 tanks, 2 running LED (Kessil and a DIY) and 3 running T5. The t5's definitely aid in the growth and coloration of corals, whereas the LED's definitely make the colors pop. One huge complaint I have about LED, is that even when the tank appears dimly lit, the corals are being bombarded by light. So in regards to intensity, i would ensure you purchase one with dimmable features. For reference, hold up a single LED at 100%, and compare it to a single T5. While the light distribution is far greater with T5, the intensity of the LED is almost impossible to stare at. For me, this has resulted in smaller zoanthids and palys, unless dimmed or shrouded. My next experiment will be in alternating T5 and LED throughout the day.

I have 5 tanks, 2 running LED (Kessil and a DIY) and 3 running T5.  The t5's definitely aid in the growth and coloration of corals, whereas the LED's definitely make the colors pop.  One huge complaint I have about LED, is that even when the tank appears dimly lit, the corals are being bombarded by light.  So in regards to intensity, i would ensure you purchase one with dimmable features.   For reference, hold up a single LED at 100%, and compare it to a single T5.    While the light distribution is far greater with T5, the intensity of the LED is almost impossible to stare at.   For me, this has resulted in smaller zoanthids and palys, unless dimmed or shrouded.   My next experiment will be in alternating T5 and LED throughout the day.  

my new system will have a t5 and bml combo. I also experimented with zoas and bml's super actinic led strip (uvs, and blues only). I used that fixture and nothing else all day. I saw great color and decent growth. Also saw alot of color morphing. But my research says that t5s are better for growth.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to sat that I'm digging the BML fixtures big time! I'm using a 72" and 48" 14k reef spectrum fixtures. No other light source for fish, zoas, lps and softies. No sps right now as I have the lights installed pretty high...not sure how sps will do.

Anyways... Love the BML fixtures. Was hard to peel me away from my beloved 20k MH setups.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

I'm a big proponent of LED's, especially for my circumstances. I have noticed that Reds shift to orange or orange-red after a while. I've seen this in other peoples tanks and there is a lot of chatter and speculation about it on the national forums. My red acans have been orange for over a year now but seem big and happy so I think their zooxanthellae algae has adjusted.

Archived