My New Toy Is Almost Here

nuxx

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, I know you can run 4 on a stock full version Apex and if you want to add more, you can add a VDM module. I know nothing of the Reef Angel controller.

If you have synchronized sides, you could run even more than 4 (i.e., wiring up 2 pumps on the same control). Not sure why anyone would want to do that though.

That's what I am doing now. Customization, really that's it. If you are happy with the random modes and the wave modes that comes with the stock controller, than you are fine.

I just wanted to add different modes and the main reason is for programming flush modes and controlling what time certain modes come on. I have slow pulse currents at night, more turbid wave action during the lighted hours, with random flush modes flush 100% left and hopefully soon 100% right once the new pump gets in.

The main benefit I notice is more even SPS growth (no one sided flow causing my SPS colonies lean) and better polyp extension. Plus the random modes help with detritus not settling anywhere.

Sold... would controlling 6 on a Reef Angel be doable?

Mainly leaning the Reef Angel way because I really like their water sensors for ATO and automatic water changes. Also their leak detector.

I'm exceptionally biased, but just from a local user support base, more people will be around to help. Something I've come to terms with along the way is that I like system redundancy. Specifically, I like to have a separate control (i.e., tunze ATO, or Bubble Magus doser) do some of the heavy logic lifting, and limit the apex control of that functionality to a simple on/off. What you lose in tweakability, you make up for not having a useless ATO or Doser if your "brain" has a stroke.

I'm exceptionally biased, but just from a local user support base, more people will be around to help. Something I've come to terms with along the way is that I like system redundancy. Specifically, I like to have a separate control (i.e., tunze ATO, or Bubble Magus doser) do some of the heavy logic lifting, and limit the apex control of that functionality to a simple on/off. What you lose in tweakability, you make up for not having a useless ATO or Doser if your "brain" has a stroke.

Yeah I'm really not sold yet.

Reef Angel has a pretty interesting alternative to the traditional float switch, and plays well with the Kessils.

Main reasons I'm leaning that way.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/03/reef-angel-water-level-sensor/

Was planning to do the ATO and automatic changes using that...

Consider using peristaltics for your in/out on any kind of auto water changer. The slow rate will make it very difficult to empty your tank. Take it from personal experience, ALL water level switches,no matter the variety, eventually lose resolution and fail.

Consider using peristaltics for your in/out on any kind of auto water changer. The slow rate will make it very difficult to empty your tank. Take it from personal experience, ALL water level switches,no matter the variety, eventually lose resolution and fail.

Any examples?

The gold standard is the litermeter's.

http://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/search?asug=&view=grid&cnt=16&w=litermeter

There is an external pump module that has a pressure sensor integrated. It pulls water out of your DT at the same rate that it pulls clean water from a resevoir into your DT. I believe you can also add an ATO module, but don't quote me on that.

LOL yeah... I don't think that would work. I'd be eating peanut butter and jelly in the backyard if that was the case...

the weather has been quite nice. great time for some camping. it may be worth it, depending on her family :).

Nice! Got any final pics of the awesome stand Jeremy?

Whoever is going to lift Offshore's tank, want to do the same with mine for a two-fer? Mine's not as big but is glass, so probably the same weight. I think I can see the volunteers lining up right now.

Timfish has a tank jack if I recall correctly. I'd start with bribery..  

I recall using basketball size colonies of leathers and toadstools. They man and his jack are unstoppable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Loaded and ready to go home to the final destination. If u can believe it i loaded it by myself. I welded some pipe to some swivel casters and slid them into the ends of the tank. It rolls like a hospital bed.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

post-395-13833522321_thumb.jpg

Archived