My New Toy Is Almost Here

nuxx

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That stand is looking sweet! Jeremy, you have no idea how to sit still... do you? Haha.

Offshore, did you already order your substrate? What are you doing with? And how tall is that stand you are having Jeremy make? Looks awesome!

hope you like the update, its starting to take shape. I was up late getting this all tacked together. A lot more to do but atleast you know im not draggin my arsss.

Man looks great Jeremy! Had no idea you worked so fast... can't wait for this beast! biggrin.png

With the steel stand are you building it your self or having someone else build it for you?

I wish I had the skills to put something like that together, unfortunately my skills are behind a keyboard lol...

Jeremy (Offroadodge) is putting it together.

That stand is looking sweet! Jeremy, you have no idea how to sit still... do you? Haha.

Offshore, did you already order your substrate? What are you doing with? And how tall is that stand you are having Jeremy make? Looks awesome!

I haven't ordered it yet. I have used both crushed coral and fine aragonite before. Reasons I like and dislike each.

This time I'm thinking I'm going to use CaribSea Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand. It looks like a good mix of the two. I'm going to have a lot of flow (4 WP40s, 2 WP60s, 2 Sicce 4000s, + returns), so I don't really want a sand storm.

Stand should be around 44-46" tall. I'm 6'2 or so, so I don't want to be looking down into the tank when standing. I was thinking 42" originally, but Jeremy and I both agreed a little taller might be better.

Going with the same substrate this time around. I had some finer sand before and was happy with it but with two WP40s blasting in a predominately SPS tank, I am going with the 1-2mm grain size this time. Plus, it's nice to have the included buffering capacity of the aragonite.

I ordered 160 lbs from petsmart for around $125 with shipping included with their free shipping promotion. It will give me a good 2-3" sandbed.

The stand I have is 40" but I am not tall so it might just be perfect. Mine is in line behind yours. Jeremy is in a stand building frenzy!

Sorry to bring up the price but that's one crazy I build, at least for the aquarium, I sent them dimensions on an aquarium and they sent me a quote of 10 k for a 6'X 6' x 3 foot tall.

Jeff really had some of the best prices around when I was quoted. He also ate the price of moving up from 3/4" to 1". Maybe with those dimensions he's quoting for 1.25-1.5 material? Also, are you going rimless?

Here is the stand as of tonight, the frnt 3 braces are removable. Istill have to do the bottom of the stand and do the finish work on the frnt and sides

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Awesome, really taking shape!

BTW: Wanted removable front braces since the **** sump is so long. If anything went wrong, I'd like to be able to remove it without cutting it out.

That's interesting. Hadn't thought about removable front braces.

With the open architecture on my steel stand, I figured I could just pull it out the side. I guess the limiting factor would be the length of the room and if you had the ability to even pull it out the side. May have to talk to Jeremy about doing the same on my stand. Great idea.

That's interesting. Hadn't thought about removable front braces.

With the open architecture on my steel stand, I figured I could just pull it out the side. I guess the limiting factor would be the length of the room and if you had the ability to even pull it out the side. May have to talk to Jeremy about doing the same on my stand. Great idea.

I have a few feet on each side of the tank in that room... now way an 8 foot sump is sliding out lol

Same here. Guess its time for some removable cross braces!

Jeremy is going to hate me now :)

It's going on the back wall here, in the indentation. See not much room on the sides :(

post-2170-0-50054200-1381765617_thumb.jp

Our two Jebao WP-60s just shipped.

Think I'm going to use one on either end of the tank. Then use the other four WP-40s around the tank for dead areas. The two Sicce 4000's I guess could do rock blasting duties or something... maybe turn them off at night.

Really excited to get these pumps and see how much water they push. Look quite a bit bigger than the WP-40s.

post-2170-0-78146100-1381784856_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-31117800-1381784863_thumb.jp

I got the sheet metal for the sump area, atleast the bottom will be water tight. 2"x 118" to hold anything that leaks.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Or that doesn't leak ;)

But seriously should help and give me enough of a buffer to get whatever's wrong fixed...

Just got my Jebao WP60s from UPS.

Eric at Fish Street said he's now shipping all orders of 2 or more WP60s with UPS. I ordered them on Monday and they showed up today... that's pretty quick coming from Hong Kong!

Now I just have to find dry side magnets to hold all these powerheads on the 1" acrylic... the stock magnets just aren't strong enough sad.png

Anyway... guess flow should be taken care off biggrin.png

post-2170-0-53764300-1381951394_thumb.jp

Whoops... typo. Ready for my other WP40 to come in from the group buy so I can get my flush mode on!

Sort of worried I might have gone overboard... guess I'll only find out when rock and water are in the tank...

Think there is any benefit to controlling the WPs over a reef angel/apex as opposed to just using their stock control boxes?

That's what I am doing now. Customization, really that's it. If you are happy with the random modes and the wave modes that comes with the stock controller, than you are fine.

I just wanted to add different modes and the main reason is for programming flush modes and controlling what time certain modes come on. I have slow pulse currents at night, more turbid wave action during the lighted hours, with random flush modes flush 100% left and hopefully soon 100% right once the new pump gets in.

The main benefit I notice is more even SPS growth (no one sided flow causing my SPS colonies lean) and better polyp extension. Plus the random modes help with detritus not settling anywhere.

That's what I am doing now. Customization, really that's it. If you are happy with the random modes and the wave modes that comes with the stock controller, than you are fine.

I just wanted to add different modes and the main reason is for programming flush modes and controlling what time certain modes come on. I have slow pulse currents at night, more turbid wave action during the lighted hours, with random flush modes flush 100% left and hopefully soon 100% right once the new pump gets in.

The main benefit I notice is more even SPS growth (no one sided flow causing my SPS colonies lean) and better polyp extension. Plus the random modes help with detritus not settling anywhere.

Sold... would controlling 6 on a Reef Angel be doable?

Mainly leaning the Reef Angel way because I really like their water sensors for ATO and automatic water changes. Also their leak detector.

Archived