My New Toy Is Almost Here

nuxx

They will break in some but vortech's are noisy pumps IMO. The MP60's are still much better than the MP40, which have some serious design flaws compared to the 10's or 60's. I think ecotech recommends placing them as high as possible without sucking air also.

I had to stop using vortechs because of the noise. Sanity has been restored since switching the jebao WP40's. You would obviously need multiple WP60's on a tank like this if you ever decide to switch in the future.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will break in some but vortech's are noisy pumps IMO. The MP60's are still much better than the MP40, which have some serious design flaws compared to the 10's or 60's. I think ecotech recommends placing them as high as possible without sucking air also.

I had to stop using vortechs because of the noise. Sanity has been restored since switching the jebao WP40's. You would obviously need multiple WP60's on a tank like this if you ever decide to switch in the future.

Those are Jebao WP60s wink.png

I have 4 WP40s as well, but they aren't in the tank there... just the WP60s...

Thanks Woods. Did you notice any difference with the WP40s getting a slime coat on them?

Not planning on using a canopy, so that won't help. Going to add another 50 gallons tonight and move the placement of the WP60s higher and more to the center as well.

Mine seemed to quiet down once they were put into practice for a bit. Also, at first I was running them full blast but that was not really needed. With the various modes I run now and at different intensities, I rarely ever hear it unless it's in cleanout mode, in which both pumps blast on full for 30 seconds and alternate after that.

Yes, they are slightly quieter with slime on them. Mine (WP40s/25s) never really bothered me to begin with though; as I have a canopy on my tank and it was full of water, rock and coral when I installed mine. I wonder if there is a sound difference between acrylic and glass tanks.... That will be interesting to see.

Mine seemed to quiet down once they were put into practice for a bit. Also, at first I was running them full blast but that was not really needed. With the various modes I run now and at different intensities, I rarely ever hear it unless it's in cleanout mode, in which both pumps blast on full for 30 seconds and alternate after that.

Sounds good Ty.

Yeah just have mine at full blast on W1 right now. Was planning to run full blast on Else though when the tank is running.

Yes, they are slightly quieter with slime on them. Mine (WP40s/25s) never really bothered me to begin with though; as I have a canopy on my tank and it was full of water, rock and coral when I installed mine. I wonder if there is a sound difference between acrylic and glass tanks.... That will be interesting to see.

Yeah that would be interesting to know. The tank is 1" acrylic, and I can't feel any vibration on the acrylic when the pumps are on.

I don't remember the pumps being so loud when the tank was full, we'll see... just takes forever to fill. Even adding 50 to 100 gallons a day >:0

I stared at my tank forever while it was filling up. It was the slowest process ever!

And your tank is even bigger!

LOL it's going faster than I thought... but still taking a lot of time...

Didn't think I'd be ready so fast to pick up my rock from subsea, will be getting some this weekend... might even be too full by this weekend. The 150 gpd RODI is kicking *** smile.png

Might just fill up to near overflow before getting the rock and letting the rock overflow water into the sump...

Well the WP60s got a lot more quiet when I moved them more into the center of the side panels and added more water.

My wife helped me move the first one, and I forgot to remind her how strong the magnet was.

Needless to say when I was moving the powerhead, she lifted the magnet about an inch off the tank and it shot down 10" to the stand. Made a crazy noise, and that was all the help I got last night...

Was pretty crazy how much force was needed to get the magnet off of the stand lol

Stopped by Patrick's this weekend up picked up about 1/2-2/3rds of my rock.

Just dumped in the tank Saturday, starting messing with it Sunday... realized when you start moving it around the tank, it's really not that much!

Pic is from Saturday night, when it was just dumped in the tank. Put two weak LED fixtures on there temporarily.

Nice little snails and crabs came with the rock too wink.png

post-2170-0-19350400-1392668026_thumb.jp

Just messed around with my rock for a bit...

What direction do you think I should go from here? Higher?

It's about 1/2 - 2/3rds of my rock. Picking the rest up this weekend, going to try something more elaborate with them with pins and mortar while the rest of the rock is out of the tank.

Some caves and bridges that didn't come through in the picture on the right as well. Also going to fill in some of the empty area in the left-center, but I don't want a continuous line of rock.

post-2170-0-13378700-1392839996_thumb.jp

All rock and sand in now smile.png

One WP60 went out... looks like power supply and controller burnt out... tried my other's controller and power supply on it and worked just fine...

Sent an email to Fish Street about it... hopefully can get a new one soon...

Also my new skimmer and 2 WP25s should be here today. Want to add the WP25s to the sump to make a little more turbulence in there...

post-2170-0-07463500-1393449914_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-56144900-1393449919_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-57689300-1393449926_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-19263400-1393449932_thumb.jp

post-2170-0-36878800-1393449938_thumb.jp

Thanks smile.png

Pulled out one of my new 40 gallon breeders last night to use for QT.

Need to order a few things for it and get my QT up and running.

Already know the first few fish to go in smile.png

LOL got the new skimmer today...

Man this thing is a BEAST!!!

I was a little worried it wouldn't fit in my sump... managed to shoehorn it in there though...

It's dead silent as well, which I love smile.png

Just need to get a PVC elbow to put the water back down into the sump. It pushes a lot of water out through the exhaust pipe.

For reference, the stand is 42" tall wink.png

post-2170-0-94430800-1393533328_thumb.jp

Archived