Anyone interested in a pico contest?

aggieMEDIC

Pico Contest  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With contest ending with C4 what if Mike allow all tanks to be set up at C4 and the voting could take place there? I think this would be a wonderful display of the awesome ARC folks.

I wont be around the weekend of C4 and wouldnt want to break down my system and set it back up only to break it back down and set it up again, anyway. If this is going to be the case im out.

so what happens if the pico light and such are hooked to my apex for timers and everything? I was going to use it to run my ato also.

You should have to budget for timers. That is part of this being a independent system and not fair for the people having to budget for it.

Edited by wesreyn

so what happens if the pico light and such are hooked to my apex for timers and everything? I was going to use it to run my ato also.

You should have to budget for timers. That is part of this being a independent system and not fair for the people having to budget for it.

I'm fine with that ill budget a timer and use my apex to do it that's fair right? I still take the budget hit but I want all my tanks on the apex.

6 months would be the minimum for 2 reasons. It first shows that you can actually get growth. It second shows that you can keep a tank in decent condition.

I don't think using a controller is fair unless you're budgeting the entire thing in the cost. I have an Apex as well, but I think it would provide a significant competitive advantage being able to run pumps, lighting, ATO, etc. from it when everyone else has to scrap something together. An ATO or even a timer for that matter is a luxury and not a necessity IMO when you're on a budget.

• Like 1

If I use it for a timer ill take timer budget off. I don't think the whole price should be counted because I'm not using the whole thing. No ph pen, mp10 control no auto feeder no dimming no auto water change if I use a 5 dollar timer or 500 dollar apex I'm still just turning my light on an off, why's it matter if my apex does if it not? I'm still losing budget money but not having to spend more real money. If I have to go buy cheap parts and waste real money to do the same thing I can already do ill have to rethink doing the contest. I'm on a budget can't waste money rebuying equip.

Also timers at biglots are 3-4 bucks. Easy to fit on the budget when we leave or get home way after lights should be on or off....

I don't want to constantly have an uneven light time on such a small tank. The fish don't need the stress and algae needs to be controlled. Would hate to lose critters due to light being on to long and cooking the tank or growing algae... This could just be cosy defend safety if the tank and we shouldn't loose anything lol!!

Also timers at biglots are 3-4 bucks. Easy to fit on the budget when we leave or get home way after lights should be on or off....

I don't want to constantly have an uneven light time on such a small tank. The fish don't need the stress and algae needs to be controlled. Would hate to lose critters due to light being on to long and cooking the tank or growing algae... This could just be cosy defend safety if the tank and we shouldn't loose anything lol!!

I thought this was the point of the contest. To be able to maintain a small system without relying on high dollar equipment and really testing your husbandry and reef keeping abilities. There are tons of people who cant afford a apex and can keep a system just fine. If you cant afford what you need, you shouldnt be joining the contest anyway. No offense. Im not trying to argue at all and I hope I dont ruffle any feathers but I thought this was the whole point of the contest.

I thought this was the point of the contest. To be able to maintain a small system without relying on high dollar equipment and really testing your husbandry and reef keeping abilities. There are tons of people who cant afford a apex and can keep a system just fine. If you cant afford what you need, you shouldnt be joining the contest anyway. No offense. Im not trying to argue at all and I hope I dont ruffle any feathers but I thought this was the whole point of the contest.

Your missing my point, I want to use one outlet as a timer and deduct the cost if a timer from my budget. I'm not using the whole apex just an outlet and taking the appropriate budget hit

I can see both sides of this..the pro and against use of an existing controller...but I would lean toward saying no to controllers unless they are detected form the budget. And while yes you are just using it as a glorified timer, it is a super expensive timer, a cadlights aquarium is just a glass box...but it cost much more than a glass box... that is my take on it...controllers and ATO's are ok if they come out of the budget. Just get a cheap timer and donate it to goodwill after the contest

Everybody knows the electricity that runs out of an Apex is much sweeter than that which runs out any other device. Advantage Apex! JK

I think this is a great idea and if done right, should be an annual thing. ARC Pico Challenge or something, I'm no slogan machine.

Just chiming in here. Maybe there should be some clearly defined set of rules that covers all costs including using already owned equip, unbelievably crazy deals, how grey areas are handled, etc. One more thing that I think would make a difference before it starts is how and what is going to be judged. Say for example, equipment gets 10 pts, over all aquarium creativity 30 pts, looks and health of livestock 50 pts., budget remaining 10 pts., or whatever. That way peeps know what to do for points. Say you may go over budget but point deductions, DIY equipment gets bonus points... Just ideas.

So is everyone keeping the tank and equipment they are planning to use a secret for now? I'm curious what people are using, especially for lighting. I just went to a couple lfs today and didn't find the kind of tank I'm wanting or any appropriate lighting. I do have 2 extra led lights that came off other nanos, but I'm not sure the light they put out is adequate. Might need to borrow a par meter! Anybody familiar with growing corals under the ecopico light? I have that with 2 additional light strips.

I'm either going to do a DIY, or semi DIY, LED lighting. Going for a 5 gallon rimless, and a small sump just to keep the DT clear. Juggling around an excel spreadsheet trying to get everything under budget with enough to spare to cover whatever I forget from the start.

i think were in, cheap tank with diy led light. i dont think its fair to use equiptment like ur controller from your other tank, if we gota get cheap crappy ones you should too. if you cant afford a 3 dollar timer this challenge might be hard!

So is everyone keeping the tank and equipment they are planning to use a secret for now? I'm curious what people are using, especially for lighting. I just went to a couple lfs today and didn't find the kind of tank I'm wanting or any appropriate lighting. I do have 2 extra led lights that came off other nanos, but I'm not sure the light they put out is adequate. Might need to borrow a par meter! Anybody familiar with growing corals under the ecopico light? I have that with 2 additional light strips.

I am building an acrylic tank from scratch. I have an LED that is pretty good but I will probably just sell it and go par30/par38

So is everyone keeping the tank and equipment they are planning to use a secret for now? I'm curious what people are using, especially for lighting.

I'm considering using an "Aqueon Evolve 4 LED Aquarium Kit", seems like a nice form. On sale pretty cheap on Amazon right now. If the lighting is not enough, I may get another LED or just go with a small CF instead. I wanted to build my own but honestly don't see that being realistic. Too many things going on right now.