Anyone interested in a pico contest?

aggieMEDIC

Pico Contest  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like the veto idea. The participants or an unbiased third party should be able to veto a cost and assign a different price if one is reported outrageously low. But at the same time if you can prove you paid $20 for an entire acro colony because you found some awesome deal on CL then great for you. That's why I suggest finding a similar item on this board or another board and pricing it accordingly. If Capt obvious sells something for really cheap tomorrow it may help all of us. It may also hurt all of us. We just have to be fair in our pricing, and should have some system for resolving disputes. I am not the person to do it (because I'm cheap) but we need to find someone who is willing who knows about pricing these things.

Finding things cheap on the boards is the best way to stay in budget. If you ''sell'' something to your Pico from your main tank. If its not fairly priced it could be looked into.

Sent from my hacked HP Touchpad running Android ICS using Tapatalk.

aggieMEDIC do you change ur phone every day or what? ur sig changes pretty often

HAHAHA. multiple devices... Tapatalk on my phone (Galaxy S3) then i use Tapatalk on my Hacked Android Touchpad. then over the last few days since i have been sick at home i have been using my laptop. so different sig depending on what device im using. honestly i never really thought of it being different.

Maybe we should have a predefined price that everyone agrees on for every 1/4 inch of certain corals. Like each 1/4 inch of birdnest coral takes 5 dollars out of your budget. I feel like if someone get a really good deal on something than it could be extremely unfair for those who cant find any good deals.

Maybe we should have a predefined price that everyone agrees on for every 1/4 inch of certain corals. Like each 1/4 inch of birdnest coral takes 5 dollars out of your budget. I feel like if someone get a really good deal on something than it could be extremely unfair for those who cant find any good deals.

While in ways I like this idea, I am also fond of keeping this true to many parts of the hobby (to which, I feel, finding deals is part of it). I would say it would make since to set some pricing standards...not sure what they would be though. I also would think placing a size restriction on what you can start with would be important,,,again, anyone can slap a golfball sized birdsnest into a pico and make it look amazing, it takes skill to grow out a frag that is 1" to be that golfball...which, to me, should be rewarded.

That falls back to fmv pricing. Say it's a birds nest. Past frags sold for 10-20 so I say take 15 off. If you bought it for 5 then take 5 off but when pulling from one tank to the next do fmv.

Basically if I get a deal I shouldn't be punished $$$ wise to make it fair... It was for sale and I bought it just like anyone else could have I guess, in my eyes it was fair game to all I just got it first;) if I missed a deal and someone else hit it I wouldn't have a problem with that either. Just not a sore loser, I like the competition!

So I guess its settled. Starts jan15. Tanks must be empty at midnight the morning of 1-15-12. Unless someone has any problems with the rules as they are currently written they will stand as official rules.

5Gallons or less.

How would we be able to get this as a club sponsored thing?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII which is cooler than your phone.

• Like 1

So I guess its settled. Starts jan15. Tanks must be empty at midnight the morning of 1-15-12. Unless someone has any problems with the rules as they are currently written they will stand as official rules.

5Gallons or less.

Are the rules the list on one of the previous pages? So, it is whatever you want for a tank? As long as it is not over 5 gallons.

I think tank cost is not counted against the equipment budget, but everything else is, correct? I do think the AIO vs from scratch cost disparity needs to be resolved unless nobody else thinks it's an issue. My issue with it is that it would be nearly impossible to come anywhere near the same cost buying a light and filter separately. Keeping the lighting, sand and rock alone under $150 is probably going to be a bit of a trick.

I think tank cost is not counted against the equipment budget, but everything else is, correct? I do think the AIO vs from scratch cost disparity needs to be resolved unless nobody else thinks it's an issue. My issue with it is that it would be nearly impossible to come anywhere near the same cost buying a light and filter separately. Keeping the lighting, sand and rock alone under $150 is probably going to be a bit of a trick.

This is the very reason I will be going AIO, i can get a pump and light and not have it cost against my equipment budget...otherwise I would be making a sweet custom acrylic pico tank...but with how the rules are it is a deterrent to anything but an AIO. that is kinda why I thought if you don't get a AIO you could maybe take the remaining balance and move it toward equipment, but that didn't seem to go over too well. i think if you get an AIO it should be under $150. if you piece together one you should be able to carry the surplus to equipment. Or how about...no matter what your tank costs (AIO or build from scratch or just a glass/acrylic box) you subtract it from the $150 tank budget and the remainder becomes a "slush fund", which makes it a bit more fair.

ex: Joe buys an AIO for $120 leaving him $30 to add to any of the other budgets as he sees fit

ex #2: sally buys a 4 gallon fluval for $75 leaving her $75 to add to any other budget she seems necessary

ex #3: Ignacio buys acrylic and builds his own for $25 (I am sure you get the point)

this allows a leveling of the playing field from the start but still allows for freedom to "pick your own canvas" so to speak

Discuss.

• Like 1

This is the very reason I will be going AIO, i can get a pump and light and not have it cost against my equipment budget...otherwise I would be making a sweet custom acrylic pico tank...but with how the rules are it is a deterrent to anything but an AIO. that is kinda why I thought if you don't get a AIO you could maybe take the remaining balance and move it toward equipment, but that didn't seem to go over too well. i think if you get an AIO it should be under $150. if you piece together one you should be able to carry the surplus to equipment. Or how about...no matter what your tank costs (AIO or build from scratch or just a glass/acrylic box) you subtract it from the $150 tank budget and the remainder becomes a "slush fund", which makes it a bit more fair.

ex: Joe buys an AIO for $120 leaving him $30 to add to any of the other budgets as he sees fit

ex #2: sally buys a 4 gallon fluval for $75 leaving her $75 to add to any other budget she seems necessary

ex #3: Ignacio buys acrylic and builds his own for $25 (I am sure you get the point)

this allows a leveling of the playing field from the start but still allows for freedom to "pick your own canvas" so to speak

Discuss.

+1 to this

so tank budget it $150 with excess carrying over into a slush fund (proof of cost required) and the reset is as stated in the earlier posts, yeah?

I'd sure love to see some sponsor step in and offer cool prizes (even if it is just something small) and maybe we could have a judging panel of LFS celebrities...or someone ask Mark to judge us.... :D