Anyone interested in a pico contest?

aggieMEDIC

Pico Contest  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So since tanks must remain empty until 0001hrs jan 15 we need a way to ensure no one starts early. At midnight I will post a pic and the time. You must take a pic of your empty tank and the timed post.

As far as cycling you may use the starter bacteria or do it the old fashioned way. I dont know how others feel but I dont think the cost of the bacteria should come out of budget. As it is for the inhabitants best interest.

Anything else?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII which is cooler than your phone.

• Like 1

Even though I just bought my tank tonight I will not add water until the start date. To prove my start date I will be pulling up a thread on my Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 (This thread) making a statement post then photographing my tablet sitting inside the tank showing the thread and new statement post. Figured that would be a fair easy way to prove its starting at the right time smile.png

and no esacjack it is not a Mr. Aqua tank its a tank I just got a nice deal on trading and talking up a storm tongue.png

Edit: not going to lie, I did dump tap water into the tank as soon as I got home to test for leaks and make sure the filter worked good. It will be drained tomorrow after a 24 hour test and then will sit dry until the start date.

Also, are we allowed to dry scape the tank and prepare everything ahead of time as long as the tank stays dry? or do we have to just keep all supplies off the the side in a box until start date and start with a glass cage?

I was planning on scaping during the holidays and leaving it dry until start date.

Just clarifying a few things.

We are still sticking with the $150 budget including the tank costing against it as well?

On the rules page it says total volume can't be more than 50% more than the DT volume. I'm assuming this is in the event someone wants to run a very small sump. So say if someone has a 5 gallon tank, they can't have more than a 2.5 gallon sump, correct? Would this count for a HOB filter as well? I don't think anyone's going to be this picky, but would rather spell it out now.

I'm pretty excited about this. I seriously think the budget is a leveler regardless of what tank everyone uses. The lighting is going to be the biggest hurdle IMO for anyone trying for higher light coral.

• Like 1

there are budgets for tank($150) and for equipment($150) and for livestock($150) with only the tank budget surplus carrying over...I think

and yes for the sump question(but tanks must be under 5 gallons ; )) so say a 4.5 gallon display can have a 2 1/4 sump. to my understanding

• Like 1

tank capacity is 5 gallon,s sump capacity is 1/2 of DT. I don't think you can take a 6 gallon tank and make it AIO but I dunno, perhaps you can could the AIo area as "sump" and get by? I figured sump had to be another vessel all together and the AIO couldn't be more than 5 gal.

Cant we just be simple and have separate containers? Not saying you would do this but.... say you buy a 10 gallon tank and section it off to hold ATO water. turns out when you sectioned it you scootched it back a bit, giving yourself 6 gallon DT or 5.5 gallons DT.

I say stick with separate containers so you can prove the size on each one.

I just finished a nano contest on a another forum and in that one the tank was allowed to cycle but no coral or livestock could be added before the start date then an item had to be put into the tank and a phrase was placed in front and everyone had to post that pic. I think this allowed people to not rush the cycle and was better for the inhabitants. Anyways I will be following along and good luck to everyone

I just finished a nano contest on a another forum and in that one the tank was allowed to cycle but no coral or livestock could be added before the start date then an item had to be put into the tank and a phrase was placed in front and everyone had to post that pic. I think this allowed people to not rush the cycle and was better for the inhabitants. Anyways I will be following along and good luck to everyone

I like this!

I have had to do a ton of math as many of these tanks are marketed as x-gallons but math proves differently

I would think manufacturer specs would be acceptable in case people have already ordered tanks. I have noticed that some are definitely off a little.