Anyone interested in a pico contest?

aggieMEDIC

Pico Contest  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a question, what is minimum time before judging? Seems it would be an important part of the contest to have a functioning and sustainable pico. Anybody can throw a bunch of beautiful things in a small box of water, snap a pic or record a video and viola.. best pico ever. Or does the monthly submissions account for the proof of sustainability? Just curious is all... I gladly bow down to anybody who can keep 3 gallons of water stable. I am still working on 150 gal. :-)

Just a question, what is minimum time before judging? Seems it would be an important part of the contest to have a functioning and sustainable pico. Anybody can throw a bunch of beautiful things in a small box of water, snap a pic or record a video and viola.. best pico ever. Or does the monthly submissions account for the proof of sustainability? Just curious is all... I gladly bow down to anybody who can keep 3 gallons of water stable. I am still working on 150 gal. :-)

They were using 6 months. I like the idea of 6 months, any shorter is just throwing stuff together and longer begins to really try your patience. I would love for mine to be sustainable for at least a year. I was trying to think of something in July that would mark an end date. Maybe the 4th. Must meet all requirements by July 4 to compete including upkeep of build threads etc... we miht be able to get a Pico contest section for us with rules thread and a place to put our builds. I don't know who all the mods are but if we can get that ok'd it would be a start.

Sent from my hacked HP Touchpad running Android ICS using Tapatalk.

My question was answered about shipping, I feel that it should not be counted as well!

Should it be a year long process? I think the 1 yr mark is a pretty big accomplishment (I haven't made it myself), and that it would be awesome to see the original pics vs. the 1 yr mark pics!

I vote any tank under 5 gallon is possible. If you want to go AIo to try and "expand" your budget then do it. They all have pluses and draw backs.

That is certainly an option that we as the participants must decide. Also another reason why I liked having options to choose from. As long as the tank purchase is not included in the budget this will work. So look at it this way. What ever comes in the original manufacturer's box with the display tank is a freebie. The rest is out of your budget.

My question was answered about shipping, I feel that it should not be counted as well!

Should it be a year long process? I think the 1 yr mark is a pretty big accomplishment (I haven't made it myself), and that it would be awesome to see the original pics vs. the 1 yr mark pics!

I do like the idea of a year but I worry about people losing interest. Anyone else have any thoughts?

the real question is: can we act like the state legislature and take money set aside for one thing and spend it on something else (say you only spend $75 from your initial tank budget...can you move the excess over to the equipment budget?) - My vote is "no" but I'd like to see other's opinion on this.

Also there should (in my opinion)maybe be a limit to size in starting frags ex: maximum number of polyps for zoas and palys/ maximum of 1" for SPS...or maybe not, i am kinda torn on this one...on the coral side people give away some pretty awesome frags...or can pull from their already established tanks and spend $0.

the real question is: can we act like the state legislature and take money set aside for one thing and spend it on something else (say you only spend $75 from your initial tank budget...can you move the excess over to the equipment budget?) - My vote is "no" but I'd like to see other's opinion on this.

I would say no. Cannot subsidize one expense for another.

what will be the judging criteria? frag growth? aquascaping? tank originality? What about DIY? Will that cost against the budget based on materials used? or would that be something that would be a 0$ hit?

That's a good question. I was considering using this as an opportunity to make a small acrylic box from scratch. Competition aside, I may do that anyway!

Just my thoughts on this...

I think if you lay down max tank size or dimensions it should cover DIY fairly well. Like up to 10 gallons, and no single dimension over 12" or something like that. Personally I don't think there's much advantage to DIY if we're talking about a tank. Unless you have an inside track on glass or acrylic, it's unlikely that it would cost much less for a comparable off the shelf tank. Good acrylic is **** expensive as is nice glass like starfire.

If there is an existing equipment concern, just set the par price at 120 - 150% of current retail or something like that for the sake of the contest, otherwise current retail. Also, need to spell out if there will be cost exceptions for stuff like filter floss, carbon, and other consumables. We don't want to get down the road with people at their budget and no longer be able to take proper care of the tank because they're over.

Coral cost and acquisition. I have no idea how to address this one. I would like to think that participants would keep their coral prices honest, but I've scored some extremely nice coral for very cheap from other members and local shops that I would consider grossly unfairly priced if I were to use them for a salary cap contest like this. Maybe a minimum cost per zoa, LPS, sps, in the event that someone gets something nice for very cheap. and an idiot check veto rule that simply excludes grossly unfairly priced stuff. I also almost think that we would need to have a no livestock transfer rule, as it would be impossible to police.

As for the actual contest, overall best tank as judged by non participants, and maybe a consolation for most unique because I think that has a lot of merit. Regardless of what style anyone takes the judging should be fairly objective if it is simply voted on by non participating members.

I am pretty sure it was aiming for less than 5 gallons, as for me...I could care less on what dimensions anyone uses, but that is just me.

As far as existing equipment, I say current retail unless you can prove actual cost. (receipt/auction/cl ad/forum ad)

As far as corals I am not sure what the solution is. Part of me thinks we should have a limit on frag size...and growth and husbandry should count a bit more than the ability to find a nice frag and plop it in a tiny tank and look good

As far as corals I am not sure what the solution is. Part of me thinks we should have a limit on frag size...and growth and husbandry should count a bit more than the ability to find a nice frag and plop it in a tiny tank and look good

This would probably work. Just off the top of my head, something like all coral must be on a frag plug or equivalent size, and nothing larger than a golf ball for sps and branching lps.

After re-reading this and the other thread, I think most of my comments were already covered {INSERT WHIPPING DEAD HORSE PICTURE}. Could probably curb any major issues by having a few unbiased people that can rule on anything not covered.