Anyone interested in a pico contest?

aggieMEDIC

Pico Contest  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I creep through the other texas groups on a regular basis using Tapatalk, so today while at home sick i was using my laptop and found this idea on the DFWMAS site. I guess it never caught my eye because of the app but this time it did.

I love this idea. I am wondering if there is enough interest here to get it started. We could use the rules they created or make our own. I will paste the rules they used below for reference. If we could get this sponsored by the club that would be great. depending on the number of people we could have prizes etc. another idea that I like is to do a group buy for the tank so we all use the same tank. limit the budget to $150 equipment, $100 livestock, and $100 Corals. I think that should be plenty being that it is only a few gallons.

http://www.dfwmas.or...p?f=173&t=95198

there is the link for the rules and other about info.

once the tanks are established for x months we vote on the best/prettiest/coolest/austin-est? its kinda short but C4 could be an end date. (any other date would work just fine too)

your thoughts????

$100 for livestock is a bit much...seeing as it is a pico...just saying...and what about rules for using old items you have lying around...like say a powerhead or dry rock...the rules must be clearly lined out, but to me it sounds fun...but I kinda feel it should start in January...after the holiday madness...IMHO

there is another thread where they work out the details... I believe they decided on $3/lb on rock dry or live, and $1/lb for sand. I agree $100 is a lot (they were using $150 for corals and $150 for livestock) but i figure we can work the rules how we choose.

well for $100 for livestock I can get the Lightning Dwarf Snowflake Orca I always wanted and put it in my pico smile.png

Lucky for me my uncle sells lightning dwarf snowflake (not so)Great whites. he has been saving an egg laying pair. it will be perfect for this contest

• Like 2

Rules:

1. Modifications to the aquarium are not required but are allowed as long as you do not exceed $150 in

additions or changes. Items may be used, new, or already owned (should a value be deducted or no). Chemi pure, Purigen and things that are necessary for livestock health, including supplements and additives do not count towards this budget, simply for the health of inhabitants.

2. All corals added to the aquarium must be aqua-cultured. In simplest terms this means you must use

frags or grow out from an existing system, nothing straight from the ocean.

3. Fish additions are preferred to be aqua-cultured but not required.

4. Live rock, live sand or any other in-tank decorations may be used. Live rock will deduct $3/lb and

live sand will deduct $1/lb from the EQUIPMENT budget.

5. Coral additions may not exceed $100 of the CORAL budget.

6. Livestock additions may not exceed $100 of the LIVESTOCK budget.

7. Any free items received from any source must be deducted from the allowed dollar amount, unless all

participants receive an identical item.

8. The aquarium may be set up as a reef or fish only as long as all items are marine.

9. The utmost importance must be placed on the safety and health of all inhabitants. DO NOT use

anything that can not survive long term in the pico environment (year+).

10. Each participant will be responsible for a build log (min 3, max 10 photos) as well as photos at the

beginning of each month (min 1, max 3 photos). Additional photos (min 3, max 10) or a short video clip

(max 30 seconds) is required for final judging.

11. The aquarium as a WHOLE must be original. Any issues must be addressed during the initial set up

and the related photos. 51% vote is required to disqualify an aquarium.

12. Participants may not modify or add anything to the aquarium that will increase the water capacity by

more than 50%. i.e. If the Tank is 3 gallons it may not hold more than 4.5 gallons of water in the end.

13. Each individual may start any number of aquariums but may only submit one (1) for judging.

14. Anyone breaking and not resolving a problem for any of these rules will be excluded from voting

and disqualified from the contest.

15. HAVE FUN AND BE CREATIVE! This is supposed to be enjoyable for all, so please be

considerate when making any decisions about what to do (in short, be honest).

16. Each participant must donate $10 to the contest, which will be used as the prize.

17. Any tank 5 gallons and under is acceptable.

18. All tanks must be set up no later than April 7th, and no sooner than April 1st.

19. The contest will end ___________. Voting will begin the following week __________, and will last the whole week long.

20. You must be a member to participate.

does the equipment budget include the cost of the tank itself?

After reading through the 9 page thread, I honestly think it will make things easier and skip a LOT of bickering if we all use the same tank. group buy or whatever, that way everyone starts out at the same spot. in either case no the original cost of the tank is not included. because honestly you could blow the entire 150 on the tank itself (this one for example). I like the idea of using that one or something like it but I also dont like its pricetag.

whereas the JBJ comes in at around $50 1/3 of the cost.

in the spirit of fairness i think using the same tank would save everyone a little.

This sounds like fun! Too bad I cant have anymore tanks setup. Unless I change/sell my fluval. What qualifies it as a "pico"? What size and anything else? I would consider using the fluval if it is appropriate size. Unless all tanks have to be the same...

does the equipment budget include the cost of the tank itself?

After reading through the 9 page thread, I honestly think it will make things easier and skip a LOT of bickering if we all use the same tank. group buy or whatever, that way everyone starts out at the same spot. in either case no the original cost of the tank is not included. because honestly you could blow the entire 150 on the tank itself (this one for example). I like the idea of using that one or something like it but I also dont like its pricetag.

whereas the JBJ comes in at around $50 1/3 of the cost.

in the spirit of fairness i think using the same tank would save everyone a little.

I am hoping to use things I already have, otherwise I won't be able to participate :/. I'll admit I haven't read the nine page thread on the other site, but I feel like being able to choose the tank is a huge part of the creativity/individuality of the project. I will feel very limited within the confines of a predetermined tank as dimensions, raw materials, and angles all play a huge role in the over all appearance and theme of a marine aquarium.

maybe we should just put a cap on what can be spent on the tank? so it allows for some options...just spitballin' it here

Here is the problem they ran into. some people bought the AIO system with lights pump and filter, and none of that counted toward the equipment cost. where as others chose to start from scratch and did have to include lights HOB filter etc. then arguments about sumps and etc came about. they start on page 7 mostly im open to whatever, just thinking about refining their process so we dont have the same problems they ran into.

Capt, Im all about options. maybe have 4-5 tanks to choose from of varying prices???

AggieMEDIC, all that sounds fair. we are generally a fair bunch, and figure the less people have to question during the contest the better. so I guess we could spend a month or so getting all the kinks worked out and the rules polished up and this would be fun for all involved.

On a side note on FMV...if someone wins an auction for a 25 dollar item that is usually 50 dollars how much is taken from their budget (and is shipping count against budget as well)?

The reason I ask is really more I guess toward the end goal, which I believe, is to be an all around competition. As we all know finding steals and deals is part of this hobby, so is DIY, and planning...arguably equal to the research and animal husbandry and execution. So finding a great deal (that ou can prove) should be rewarded rather than punished IMHO.

I'd like to hear opinions on this

AggieMEDIC, all that sounds fair. we are generally a fair bunch, and figure the less people have to question during the contest the better. so I guess we could spend a month or so getting all the kinks worked out and the rules polished up and this would be fun for all involved.

On a side note on FMV...if someone wins an auction for a 25 dollar item that is usually 50 dollars how much is taken from their budget (and is shipping count against budget as well)?

to answer this i will give a few examples, based on how i understand their rules.

1 - I own a JBJ ATO and put it on my pico, that would normally run $50 used, i would take $50 from my budget

2 - I buy a JBJ ATO that normally runs $50 used for $10, then only $10 come out of my budget.

3 - I win a JBJ ATO in a club raffle etc that is normally $99 new, then $0 comes out of my budget. because I didn't pay anything for it (you could also include the cost of the raffle ticket if that is what we decide on)

I also do not think shipping should count at all. I hate shipping costs but understand they are necessary. thats usually why i buy local instead. Group buys are a good idea too because you can save on shipping and get discounts.

Something else I read that I think would be cool. is each person could donate a frag at the begining, grow it out during the contest and the winner gets a kick A$$ frag pack to go home with.

again all of this is up for discussion prior to the start date.

Speaking of... Jan sounds good?

Say tanks must be empty as of Jan 15th. As of Jan 16 0001hrs you may start.