Clownfish breeding build thread - first go at it

Mr Cob

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wild caught onyx and onyx picasso (proaquatix) pair are spawning right now : )

Taking some vid, will try and post later. Looks like male is fertilizing eggs but they are kind of dark looking, not sure what that means. I was expecting orange eggs.

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

So, here they are spawning.

This last week big mama kept moving the pot to where I could not see into it, so I finally stopped moving it back and let her be. Lastnight a little before 9pm she started to lay while pumps were off and I was feeding tank rotifers.

You can see the male following and fertilizing eggs. When she was done I moved the pot to see inside and they are nice and orange. icon_smile.gif

VID:

• 2 weeks later...

Thx Mlaw!

Clarki... I didn't do anything with the first batch. It was maybe 100-200 eggs, this batch is easily 500 eggs but looks like 700 or so. I tried counting in sections of 10.

God blessed this pair... because they have only been together for about a month as evident in this thread. I originally had big mama paired up with a platinum. Pretty sweet.

Mike,

According to his post he stopped being a perv and let them do their thing.

So, here they are spawning.

This last week big mama kept moving the pot to where I could not see into it, so I finally stopped moving it back and let her be. Lastnight a little before 9pm she started to lay while pumps were off and I was feeding tank rotifers.

You can see the male following and fertilizing eggs. When she was done I moved the pot to see inside and they are nice and orange. icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see some babies.

Mike, I really just tried to keep things stable, 5+ feedings everyday with a mixed diet of all kinds of food. High heat.. 83 and regular small water changes. I also feed rotifers every few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Big mama laid nest #4 at around 9:20pm tonight. Well over a thousand eggs.

I'm going to try and pull the pot in a few days and see if I can get a clutch. About half the eggs have been making it to hatch night and they are hatching over a two day period making it very difficult for me to collect.

Any idea when you'll have your first babies for sale? I'm looking for clowns for my biocube and wouldn't mind waiting a bit if you're close.

No idea, if I do sell them I will sponsor up first. : )

Preparing to pull Big Mama's pot tonight. The eggs were silver lastnight so I'm hoping they hatch tonight. I know there's a risk in them not hatching tonight since I don't know what I'm doing and if so they may be away from the male too long. But we shall see.

I decided not to rear in my black buckets in favor of this glass tank that I blacked out. I was going to paint it but not sure I will stick with this solution or not.

8669676866_ec69f5cbaa_z.jpg

8669675398_9065114162_z.jpg

8668570259_34edc8d3d0_z.jpg

added a little window...
8669708072_9b3103f40c_z.jpg

and a non bright light that can easily be stretched out to start and then slowly bring closer to fish as they acclimate to light...
8668610183_0f8c278abf_z.jpg

Alright, so got the rearing station going. I have room for 2 more identical tanks on top in order to pull up to 3 nests at a time. I'll go at this capacity until I decide to do more and invest more into this project. For now, would just like to see how things workout.

8670130726_b9f95bdba8_z.jpg

Brought a rotifer bucket in doors to provide climate control.

8669020101_caf24abcf3_z.jpg

top down into the larvae tank

8670125812_88f3075e37_z.jpg

Archived