Clownfish breeding build thread - first go at it

Mr Cob

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do the Rotifers last? I guess you'll be ready if baby's are born.

Hey Bige, not exactly sure what you are asking. I believe a strong live culture of rotifers can last a few days in the fridge..or a couple weeks to the point that some will still be alive to get another culture going. In the culture bucket they begin to starve 2-4 hours after they run out of food which also disrupts their reproduction cycle. I have been feeding them 4ml of rotigrow every 24 hours along with a 10-20% water change daily. They can last indefinitely if you keep them fed, clean water and harvest daily. The clownfish larvae need to be fed a dense culture of live rotifers because they can only see what's in front of them.

I think it will be awhile until I have babies but I wanted to atleast practice with the rotifer culture so that I feel comfortable with what I'm doing. I do not think I will keep the culture going once I run out of the thawed rotigrow in the fridge just because I feel like I'm wasting the product. I have been feeding the tanks, coral and fish with the live rotis every day and that seems to be very benefitial but I'd like a little break, lol. I think the rotigrow could last up to 4-6months at around 4ml doses daily. Not bad at all.

That's what I was asking. I don't have any experience with Rotifers.

Cool, figured I would just ramble about them and hope that I answer your question at some point.. lol

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

thx, cool of you to say that'

I'm very surprised that this pair is already nesting, they've only been together for a week or so. The female tore into the male the first day and that was over the very next day.

that is just so **** cool. I made my wife come in and watch the video. (she doesn't care about aquariums or fish in the slightest, she just humors me) and her response was "awwwww young fishy love!"

That's awesome, I look forward to seeing the progress!

Thank you!

that is just so **** cool. I made my wife come in and watch the video. (she doesn't care about aquariums or fish in the slightest, she just humors me) and her response was "awwwww young fishy love!"

Haha.. I was thinking the other day about how I got started in this hobby... And I remembered that it was due to my wife. When we were dating she had a little 10g neon tetra tank.. I loved staring at that tank.

Here are some rotifer shots..

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

post-1834-135318393658_thumb.jpg

post-1834-135318395188_thumb.jpg

post-1834-135318396273_thumb.jpg

That's awesome, I look forward to seeing the progress!

Thank you, it is so funny to me how simple posts like this can make everything worth posting. Lol. Appreciate the post.

THX!

Just started setting up a new tank that I picked up in a trade..tank stand and light.

This is a 40g breeder tank and will be for clownfish growout. In order to simplify this tank and not have to worry about another full on system with a fuge sump etc.. it will be treated as a macro tank. DSB in the back right corner and loaded with different macros and a hang on back skimmer..heater and koralia. That's it.

8194366307_24ea52c6b5_c.jpg

8194365991_5c0b789167_c.jpg

I have one more system to set up and that's the 40g breeder divided acrylic tank. I have everything I need for it just waiting on the stand that I picked up on store credit with TT. I had them build it 40" tall to give the pairs some privacy from my 4 shorties (kids)

thx Mike, I really appreciate the comment. I thought cichlids were the best...then I discovered saltwater.. you know how that goes.

Picked up the stand for the sectioned breeder tank today. Allan over at Texas Tropical did a really nice job on it. 40" tall.. and another item on store credit..lol. You should see my corals.. they are all frags now.

8207831414_97b280faa7_c.jpg

8207831000_b1119a1a1d_c.jpg

8207831140_9ed65fd002_c.jpg

I haven't decided if I will add another divider to the right side yet. I have one more that I picked up from regal plastics but still thinking about if I want the swim room for growout or divided for another 2 pairs.

thx, I really can't wait to get the breeder stalls completed so I can take some better shots of all the fish. The new snowflake has some nice blue markings on it. The black ice does as well but you just can't tell in these pics, maybe a little if you look at the lines between the bars. The blue shows up in the white.

Hey Faron...thx for checking in man. I got the system wet today but still waiting for a sump. Also just got the last section in. This system really needs to get going soon... I have 6 pairs right now slammed in 2 nanos.

In the end I will have two of these breeder systems. The 2nd one is in the garage while I try to decide if I want to keep it as 2 sections or mod for 4.

post-1834-135442159459_thumb.jpg

Just been staring at fish waiting for equipment to get here so I can finish both breeder systems. Had a sump come in yesterday but it was cracked...bummer but a new is already on its way..and with expedited shipping.

A few pics of the black ice male and female and then the snowflake and Darwin which make black ice.

post-1834-135462630233_thumb.jpg

post-1834-135462631489_thumb.jpg

post-1834-135462632697_thumb.jpg

post-1834-135462633917_thumb.jpg

Gettin crazy...

Snow Onyx pair

Snow Onyx x grade A Picasso

Snowflake x black ice

A little two month old baby to practice with : )

Check out all of my rigged containers lol

44287d1354687358-clownfish-breeding-buil

44285d1354687331-clownfish-breeding-buil

44284d1354687319-clownfish-breeding-buil

44286d1354687346-clownfish-breeding-buil

44288d1354687370-clownfish-breeding-buil

Archived