Clownfish breeding build thread - first go at it

Mr Cob

haha, yeah, me too!

Here's a vid right after I finished setting this fry tank up and pulling the pot.

I decided to take the live rock rubble out after the fact to prevent any type of bacterial infection.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The count is 7 babies and I couldn't be more excited! Can't wait to be at a point where I know what I'm doing and get a lot more babies. Especially from a thousand egg nest!

Sent from my HTC VIVID using Tapatalk

So...I had a rotifer culture crash. I have ordered more rotifers and paid for priority overnight so hopefully they get here in time. In the interim I have a very very low count of tiny rotifers and I purchased some frozen dead rotifers. Just hoping to keep them alive until I have rotifers in full swing again.

I also picked up a Seachem amonia alert strip and Seachem Prime. Hopefully I can keep the amonia in check since I added frozen rotifers. I know they probably won't eat the frozen rotifers but I have to try and I have managed to keep the dead food from settling on the bottom of the tank and I promise it looks like they are eating. Very active little fish. I can almost see them hunting. I think. I don't have much to compare to since this is my first rearing.

Top down right after adding frozen rotifers

Side view from my little cut out window (I close the window when I'm not viewing them)

It is very nice to post a positive update on these little guys. I still have 15 fry :) as seen in the pic. But even better news is my wife just fed them and sent me a message that she counted 30!!!

I pray those rotifers I ordered get here soon!

I did a small water change lastnight since I'm feeding frozen rotifers. The water change was part new saltwater and part tank water from the tank they came from with the parents. I will do the same again tonight. I'm thinking my rotifer stash should be pumping again by tomorrow but in case it isn't I have live rotifers that will be here tomorrow.

Speaking life into these little dudes every chance I get.

8680629225_56fc7a50e6.jpg

lol, yeah, I picked up more supplies to be able to pull up to 3 pots at a time which should give me a nice steady rotation. This 5th nest was the tightest yet at only 13 days since nest 4. I have increased water changes and thinking that helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ibnzmonkey!

Couple new broodstock pairs in the house..both the females are huge, about the same size as Big Mama the wild caught Onyx.

Platinum (Maine Blizzard, Sea and Reef lineage) X ORA Midnight
8719283746_033e9f30b3_c.jpg

Misbar Half Onyx (Sea and Reef lineage) X Black Ice (Sea and Reef Lineage)
8718169855_3302a37d3e_c.jpg

Big mama is laying nest 6. I have about 10 fry left from nest 5. I'm getting a little better at this lol. My big issue has been rotifers, have 2 million arriving tomorrow : )

U sure did get some happy fish, don't you have other pairs? Anyone else nesting?

Thx! I do have other pairs and a few that are known spawners. I will have to post an update soon of the fish I am working with. I have kind of gone in and out of so many. Got 4 that I'm not changing though and a couple others.

I pulled big mamas nest tonight and the eggs are hatching right now.

I made a rookie mistake though and kind of forgot about them... I was supposed to pull lastnight and my wife even pointed out the silver eyes to me and I just got caught up doing other things.

As a result most of the eggs hatched lastnight.. got about a hundred though, hoping they all hatch. :)

Updates on the onyx x onyx picasso pair

-nest 6 is 8 days old and shld be starting metamorphosis (about 60 babies). I feed a very dense population of live rotifers twice daily and dose .5 ml of rotigrow once daily. I water changed about 20% of tank water from their parent's tank on day 3, 5 and then daily. Once they are on dry food I will water change with new saltwater. I also use prime to keep ammonia down.

-nest 7 was laid on the 23 (yesterday evening)

Rotifers: 2 x 5 gallon buckets doing great and fed 2.5ml of rotigrow daily. Very dense cultures.

Archived