Victoly's BC29

victoly

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, no ability to evaporate. I was just thinking that maybe it wasn't mixed enough and kind of settled into a hyperconcentrated layer, although your point is well taken. You would think that there would be a gradual increase instead of a quantum leap at the end of the container. I'll turn my dosing back on tomorrow once it gets back down where i like it and see how a days worth of dosing affects the tank.

I just bought a Hanna alk. When I test with the Salifert I turn the solution pink. Not just purpley blue. When I compared my hanna readings vs my salifert readings they were within 0.2 DKH from each other. I haven't checked against Ty's reference solution yet.

I've had them compare close, and I've had them pretty far off. It's inconsistent in comparison. Alk isn't a finite parameter like pH or temperature. There are a several speciations of "alk" involved, and in marine analysis, it's even more complicated because of other interdependent parameters. It'd be great if we could just use the little color changing bulbs like you can use in FW aquaria to indicate CO2.

3RZfXad.jpg

I like the hyperconcentrated layer theory. I know with BRS's soda ash they recommend stirring while slowly adding it to the water indicating it is difficult for it to go into solution. If only you had experience working with chemicals.

The c02 drop checkers aren't that accurate either. They take hours to respond and the solution needs to be changed periodically. While they work at a glace there isn't a good way to measure co2 concentrations in FW on a hobbiest level. Your fish are a more accurate checker. If they are at the surface gasping for air your dosing too much c02 and need to off gas immediately. It's no different then a dosing pump or CaRx. The biggest mistake you can do is set them and walk away for hours. They need constant checking over a day or two to get a needle valve and bubble rate dialed in.

Agreed. Some people try and measure co2 saturation by montoring ph as a drop of 1 ph in a cup of just water would be equal to 30ppm of co2. The problem is that driftwood, gravel, stone, KH/GH and numerous other things can affect your PH as well.

AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED. AGREED.

No, no ability to evaporate. I was just thinking that maybe it wasn't mixed enough and kind of settled into a hyperconcentrated layer, although your point is well taken. You would think that there would be a gradual increase instead of a quantum leap at the end of the container. I'll turn my dosing back on tomorrow once it gets back down where i like it and see how a days worth of dosing affects the tank.

Speaking of, I haven't seen her on here lately.

I still owe mckenna, by proxy of you, some cyphastrea. Once my work schedule clears up a bit, I'll meet you at the asian market and we can do noodles, alk and frags.

I still owe mckenna, by proxy of you, some cyphastrea. Once my work schedule clears up a bit, I'll meet you at the asian market and we can do noodles, alk and frags.

You don't have to ask me twice! Asian food, messing with tank stuff, and BS'ING with a buddy.

I haven't seen Makena on here either lately. Bet she got a job promotion and has been wreaking havoc at Petsmart.

You don't have to ask me twice! Asian food, messing with tank stuff, and BS'ING with a buddy.

I haven't seen Makena on here either lately. Bet she got a job promotion and has been wreaking havoc at Petsmart.

Wait, I like noodles.

So you guys lost me, does the Hannah alk meter just give you a number you have to put into a math problem? The api test kit works pretty well it turns from blue to yellow in the matter of a drop. Just Gota be able to count to 8...

Yes, it gives a ppm number which can be converted to dkH using a formula (X ppm * 0.056dkH/ppm), and if you know the correction factor you scale it by that number. Using Ty's calibration standard we determined my correction factor to be 1.01

The only problem with using hanna's standard is that it still uses their analytical method, which may have some bias. I don't know that we could ever find a "true" value short of finding a chemist way above my pay grade, I just want to sit down in the middle of NSW range and try to keep it steady. If it's off by 10 ppm, it doesnt matter that much as long as it's consistent.

Archived