Where I work

Does anyone have access to a CNC machine? I have a little something I've been working on...<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

<br /><br />You build steam engines?!

I could! I can pretty much build anything in SolidWorks, I'm like a CAD wizard. It's the only way I use what I learned in college.. Because lord knows it never gets utilized at work.

tumblr_mdm7e6ALQ91qfgn69.gif

I finally have some free time to sit here and write this out!

I started college right out of high school at ACC but I was young and stupid and quit after my first semester. My dad had just started up our company and asked me to help him with bookkeeping and appointments. It turned into a full on learning experience and I have become part owner. We've been in business for 10 years now, and even though we've had our large share of struggles, these last two years have been better then ever.

We started as an asset disposition service. Companies would hire us to dispose and sell off their excess IT equipment on a commission basis. Our business model really hadn't been tried before and we gained a lot of interest. Some of our first clients were Travelocity, Kodak, Charles Swab and Grande Communications. We started growing like a weed and it actually almost killed the company. The demand was so high and we were so new, we just weren't ready for that amount of business. We restructured a bit and started to get a handle on things when our warehouse was flooded in 2006. Hundreds of thousands of dollars were lost and most of our internal infrastructural was damaged. It took over a year for our insurance company to pay out the settlement and again, were were faced with almost shutting down the company. By luck, we came across some deals that we could buy out right and turn into a substantial profit. This allowed us to stay afloat and quickly became our new focus. We switched over to buying and selling enterprise class computer equipment as our main business about three years ago and it's been doing really well ever since.

We are currently in the beginning stages of building an online web store and sales are 50% higher than last year with profits continually rising. It's a really exciting, yet still stressful, time for us. All of our hard work and dedication has brought us to this point and I just hope it continues paying off.

If you are ever in need of a server, switch, router, etc, you know where to look! Also, if you have some extra equipment laying around, I'm always in the market to buy. biggrin.png

• 4 weeks later...

I work at an event production company as a graphic designer, cameraman, playback operator, audio engineer, etc.

Sometimes we get carried away with the fog machine (not me in pic:

post-2217-136989302343_thumb.jpg

Sometimes we might get to do something cool for F1, or ride in an elevator with an Aston Martin, or work with people like David Robinson

post-2217-136989311364_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989312809_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989314279_thumb.jpg

But a lot of times I am just staring at knobs and screens

post-2217-13698932426_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989325443_thumb.jpg

I work for the Department of Aging and Disability Services in the accounting unit and my wife works for the Texas State Department of Agriculture.

I'm currently looking for another job though doh.gif . I originally wanted to get into Financial Analysis after completing my degree but got a job as an accountant when we moved to Austin. I like my job, but would like higher pay or less commute time.

I work at an event production company as a graphic designer, cameraman, playback operator, audio engineer, etc.

Sometimes we get carried away with the fog machine (not me in pic:

post-2217-136989302343_thumb.jpg

Sometimes we might get to do something cool for F1, or ride in an elevator with an Aston Martin, or work with people like David Robinson

post-2217-136989311364_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989312809_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989314279_thumb.jpg

But a lot of times I am just staring at knobs and screens

post-2217-13698932426_thumb.jpg

post-2217-136989325443_thumb.jpg

Do you work for mec? You look familiar. I work at the frank Erwin center.

Very cool to see where everyone works. I've been at Dell for 17 1/2 yrs now. I moved to Nashville in '99 when we opened that office and spent 3 yrs there. I only ended up back here because I got a job offer that included a relo package. When I got back is when I really got back into fish...got a great deal on a 120g from RCA and I've been supporting that habit ever since. Been doing federal sales for the last 6 yrs. I can attest to what Niko had mentioned...when the layoff rumors start going you never know who'll get hit and if your number is gonna be called. I've always been lucky and in the right group. Now that I'm in fed sales there's a lot more job security because we can't outsource any of our positions...it all has to stay here in the US!.

Very cool to see where everyone works. I've been at Dell for 17 1/2 yrs now. I moved to Nashville in '99 when we opened that office and spent 3 yrs there. I only ended up back here because I got a job offer that included a relo package. When I got back is when I really got back into fish...got a great deal on a 120g from RCA and I've been supporting that habit ever since. Been doing federal sales for the last 6 yrs. I can attest to what Niko had mentioned...when the layoff rumors start going you never know who'll get hit and if your number is gonna be called. I've always been lucky and in the right group. Now that I'm in fed sales there's a lot more job security because we can't outsource any of our positions...it all has to stay here in the US!.

We have a few clients that work in sales at Dell, my Grandfather has been with Dell and has been in the storage department for about 7 years I believe.

Since my last post, I started a new business and quit my tile business all together. I started a photo booth rental business where we rent photo booths for all kinds of events. From weddings, corporate events, birthday parties, to proms, graduations, and conferences. Feel free to check me out at partytimebooths.com.

PS. Might be kinda cool for an event like C4. You could have the C4 or ARC logo in the background of all of the pictures taken with the green screen.

Edited by wesreyn
  • Like 1

Since my last post, I started a new business and quit my tile business all together. I started a photo booth rental business where we rent photo booths for all kinds of events. From weddings, corporate events, birthday parties, to proms, graduations, and conferences. Feel free to check me out at partytimebooths.com.

PS. Might be kinda cool for an event like C4. You could have the C4 or ARC logo in the background of all of the pictures taken with the green screen.

That's cool. I did a diy photobooth for a work summer party using pvc pipes as a frame and sheets and everyone loved it and even requested it for our christmas party. I was able to build a ring light and expense it along with the prints.

post-1271-0-18712400-1369942668_thumb.jpg post-1271-0-36895200-1369942687_thumb.jpg

I self employed do contract structural engineering for airplanes and helicopters. not the ones most of you fly on, though so no complaining about airline seating. i have done a Boeing 737 (what southwest airlines flies) that carries less than 30 passengers. needless to say, all the seats and beds had plenty of leg room. some of the showers seemed a bit cramped, though.

My commute is awesome, brush teeth, get coffee cup, walk into office (<2 min.). i get to work any 80 hours of the week i want. Actually, we are a bit slow now, so it is staying closer to 50-60 hours. Good for hobbies (and forums), not so much for the bank account. But I love my job. Been doing it 15 years.

• Like 1

Were you on Shark Tank? smile.png