Red Slime Algae

Joe-y

I would also use chemiclean to knock it all out, but make sure you address the root problem. Overfeeding, low flow, overstocking, etc are all possibilities. Just post if you need some help figuring out what the real problem might be.

• Like 1

I have some going in my display tank too which is really odd for me. I've cut my feeding in half and replaced my phoshate media with rowaphos weeks ago and its still there, I even siphoned it all out a week ago and still it comes back. I've done hundreds of gallons of water changes, still there......I broke down and bought chemiclean and poly ox which work two ways to get rid of it. I haven't used either yet, was hoping it would go away on its own but its been a month now.

The interesting thing about it is that another member (don D) told me that it happens certain times of the year and I actually believe it as weird as it sounds. Just curious has anyone else seen a spike in cyano lately? I never have this problem usually.

I have it and apart from the initial cycle each time I've moved into a new tank, I've never had a cyano problem. I blame mine on my biopellets though. I've stopped using them and the population has gone down a bit but not all gone yet. I'm going to blast with chemiclean in a month if it still persists.

-Ty

I don't claim to be an expert but I just had a huge outbreak of this stuff too. Check your tempatures guys and gals. It's heating up and temp fluctuation wi deffinatly make this stuff grow out of hand. I hope my advice is helpful

Yup have it to. Did the 3 days of darkness and it helped but the day i turn on the lights i go to work and in the night the sand is pink again. Weird how everybody is getting it. So Ludakris, wonder if i should keep the tank a little cooler. I'm at 78degrees right now. Maybe 76? But for the root cause on my tank, it's old bulbs. Finally got word that they are coming sometime at the end of the week. If that doesn't work then going with you guys and doing the Chemical Kill.....

I have a large Black Mollie,that eat a thick cynobacteria mat off my sponge filter. There was 50 square inches of cyno mat, she eat it by herself. It looks as thou my tank has cycled through it.

Patrick

Seems like everyone is getting it. I used chemiclean. Follow the directions to a T and it will work wonders. Turn off your skimmer or you will have a huge mess. Ever put dawn dishsoap in a dishwasher???? Very similar. No need to reduce photo period. Just do a 40% WC after 48hrs and your will be set.

I am currently treating my 150g with Chemiclean for this. It was recently migrated from a 110g. The contents have had it 3 times now.

However, my 110, which was migrated to from an 80g, does not have it. The contents of my 110g, when in the 80g, never has had it. Very strange.

I would also use chemiclean to knock it all out, but make sure you address the root problem. Overfeeding, low flow, overstocking, etc are all possibilities. Just post if you need some help figuring out what the real problem might be.

Agree

Its very common to get cyano after a move. Any time the sand bed is disturbed, the nutrient level goes bonkers.

that might be the problem i just moved a week ago treating the problem now hope it works

thanks everyone for the advice would the red algae effect my clown fish? came home yesterday and noticed him laying on his side he will swim around tank but will go back to laying on his side.

thanks everyone for the advice would the red algae effect my clown fish? came home yesterday and noticed him laying on his side he will swim around tank but will go back to laying on his side.

Need to take action, that's not normal. I think a water change would be in order, i would do it quickly.

. . . interesting thing about it is that another member (don D) told me that it happens certain times of the year and I actually believe it as weird as it sounds. Just curious has anyone else seen a spike in cyano lately? I never have this problem usually.

I also a few times over the years run into cyno and hair algae appearing on seasonal or yearly cycles which really messes with my head. Do the same thing week in and week out and it pops up and dissapears on it's own.

My last 2 tanks have both come down with cyano real bad at the 4-5mth mark. Really weird, almost identical timing to the day. One dose (or 2 on nano) of chemiclean seemed to do the trick.

I usually have it show up pretty quick when setting up a tank but as the tank matures it mostly goes away on it's own and I rarely have to do something about it. Chemiclean does work really well.