Only Way to set up an Marine Aquarium

Michae52

THERE IS NOT ANY. Everyone has their own opinions on how to set an aquarium up. Some feel that you have to have every bit of technolgy that is available others feel that a more natural method is desired. It really doesn't matter. What works in your tank is fine, if it doesn't work then be willing to make adjustments untill it does work. Yes, I know that there are certain basic rules that you need to follow, as well as certain principals of water chemistry and ichthyology,etc. Patrick and I are both setting up what we consider Lagoon tanks. Are methods are both natural, but the way we will go about it are different. He will use a thick sand bed and I will use a thin one. He is planning on having a refugium, my tank will be the refigium. It really doesn't matter as long as we have thought out what we are planning and realize that adjustments might have to be made. Skimmers are great to use, but you do not have to have one, cheap insurance but it doesn't matter if you are paying attention to your bio load and water chemistry. UV's are fine if you are keeping certain types of fish, but it doesn't mean that you are not able to be successful as a marine keeper. Old saying do not place an aquarium in front of a window. I just put a 40 in front of one. I can use it as a visual to moniter my water and also help grow the marco algae. If I get GHA then I will consider moving the set-up. It doesn't really matter. And to be honest with you I really do not care what someone in the 60's did living on a pacific island. I could keep a few fish in a large tank and go down to the beach and get fresh seawater everyday and be very successful. I just happen to live in Austin.

Good points to be said about being inclusive in this community we call "reef addicks".

My lagoon will also be the refugium. Because I choose to grow some true marine plants, the substrate most provide nutriants to the root system. Aside from that, you and I have a similiar approach.

Patrick

There are as many ways to set up a tank as there are things to put in it. I'd say for anybody looking for advice on how to setup their tank, the first question should be... what are you planning to keep? Then, seek out the people who have tank systems that you want to mimic. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

I couldn't keep that sponge you have Michae52 alive for a week in my tank... nor could I keep the true marine plants that Patrick keeps. I set my tank up to keep SPS and I'd be losing out on a whole lot of money trying to keep sponges in my tank... let alone increasing the capacity of my tank and running a tank outside to keep true marine plants... let alone expensive! doh.gif Haha. But with their respective systems, they do that easily and without much equipment needed at all.

Michae52 hit the nail on the head, there is no ONE way. My advice is to find a mentor tank and follow their steps to success, while incorporating some of your own ideas to customize once you start understanding how to read your own tank.

• Like 1

Patrick,

I'll have to see your system one of these days once I start traveling less for work. I believe we studied at the same university however you preceded me by a couple years out there. Haha.

I ended up studying Marine Biology for 2 years before switching my major to Ocean and Coastal Resources. And what did I do with the degree? A whole lot of nothing... however I did end up being an environmental scientist for a consulting company. Not a complete waste but nothing I learned at school was applicable... plus consulting is a lot less fun. Haha.

I really agree with JeeperTY. There have been many discussions recently that seem to suggest there is one best methodology. I agree that there are some best methodologies, but only in regards to keeping particular organisms, not as a universal methodology. The methodology I would employee for a softie tank would be substantially different than a strict SPS tank.

I also agree in finding people who have been successful keeping similar organisms and examining their methodologies and understanding them. There are numerous people here who have been extremely successful with different types of organisms/systems that are great resources. I also think reading the article on RC's tank of the month winners is another great resource.

Moving this thread to general reefkeeping because I'd like to share it with all members.

One idea I've been playing with for the club is to set up an ARC mentor section. The idea would be that selected mentors would each get to highlight their system and methodology and offer their guidance to new members. Members would be able to view these highlights and pick who they wanted to model their tank after, go to for advice and such.

What do you think?

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but I've yet to see anyone talk a firm stand for or against anything, which is cool. Some folks like equipment, some don't, but regardless the prevailing attitude I've seen has been, do what works best for you. Maybe I'm blind to the hard lining thought...

Moving this thread to general reefkeeping because I'd like to share it with all members.

One idea I've been playing with for the club is to set up an ARC mentor section. The idea would be that selected mentors would each get to highlight their system and methodology and offer their guidance to new members. Members would be able to view these highlights and pick who they wanted to model their tank after, go to for advice and such.

What do you think?

Excellent Idea

Good deal. I like this. I think that this is a proactive move that allows all members to direct their specific interest unto specific subforums. This would decrease bickering from opposed points of view.

I am somewhat iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of particular people being selected by the club to be mentors. I would like the idea better if people volunteered to be mentors and showed pictures of their tank and information about their husbandry practices. Then people could choose who they felt the best mentor would be for them. I prefer the "market" to be at work.

I think I would rather see subforums with particular husbandry styles or dedicated to particular organisms (like the current seahorse forum). Then people wanting to keep specific organisms could find advice more suited to their particular needs. The only thing I don't like is having too many forums where people miss information because they do not check them all.

I think either way would work and would be very beneficial to the membership.

I personally could care less what method people wanna use cause I have seen several different things work for different people. I'm just happy when my corals, fish, and whatever else I put in the tanks grow and seem happy and healthy.

I like the mentors idea, I find it interesting to see what others are doing and how it works out for them. And who knows, we might all get new ideas and learn new things :D

I am somewhat iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of particular people being selected by the club to be mentors.

I think I would rather see subforums with particular husbandry styles or dedicated to particular organisms (like the current seahorse forum). Then people wanting to keep specific organisms could find advice more suited to their particular needs.

+1

I had several mentors when I first started in this hobby. I saw their tanks and decided that's what I wanted. They ranged from state-of-the art to home DIYed. I have incorporated what I learned from them into my system. Sometimes it worked other times it did not. I found that there are just to many variables in this hobby, lighting, water quality, etc. However if it wasn't for my "mentors" I would have left this hobby long ago.

This forum offers a wealth of knowledge! Just look at the posts in this thread. Setting up a mentor forum, no. Finding someone willing to share their "secrets" priceless.

Dave-

. . . I'd say for anybody looking for advice on how to setup their tank, the first question should be... what are you planning to keep? Then, seek out the people who have tank systems that you want to mimic. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. . .

+1 Refering back to the orginal thread I couldn't agree more. Considering the average aquarist probably has something like 6000 or 8000 species potentially available and add to that aquarium adapted variants and color variants influence by environmental variables it is, in my opinion, beyond absurd to believe any one methodology will work across the board (or should I say water grin.png ).

Speaking to the idea of mentoring Mike Frame has discussed this breifly and he certainly can speek more directly to this than I but he is hopeful to have a wide range of tanks and mentors available. From very simple systems to very complex. Theme tanks and community tanks with a wide range of animals. Fish only tanks and nonfish tanks. Any "selection" process is to qualify systems that are successful, this is obviously open to interpretaion but some standards need to be stated as far as age of the system and/or production or other criteria. Also the tanks need to be available for individuals to see and discuss methodology and equipment with the owners (this would pretty much eliminate me as I am often not available and rarely are my tanks available for anyone to see).

I am somewhat iffy on the idea. I don't like the idea of particular people being selected by the club to be mentors. I would like the idea better if people volunteered to be mentors and showed pictures of their tank and information about their husbandry practices. Then people could choose who they felt the best mentor would be for them. I prefer the "market" to be at work.

I think I would rather see subforums with particular husbandry styles or dedicated to particular organisms (like the current seahorse forum). Then people wanting to keep specific organisms could find advice more suited to their particular needs. The only thing I don't like is having too many forums where people miss information because they do not check them all.

I think either way would work and would be very beneficial to the membership.

I agree,that the idea of targeting particular organisms or husbandry techniques in general, is the way to group subforums. No one person should be a guru on a subforum, this is not healthy for a club. With respect to people missing information with too many subforums, sorry, I don't see it like that. I prefer more forums so that I can focus where I want to focus, without spending time filtering out what I do not want to deal with. If a person wants to know more, they will make time.

Patrick

I can understand having different forums but what has turned me off of other sites is there are to many forums. What's the happy medium? I don't know but I like what we have now. I mentioned this in a thread long time ago last year and I know the logistics and maintaining it could be a nightmare but I would like to see a database where someone could look up a species and see all the tanks and associated parameters it is being maintaned in.

I sort of enjoy just doing my own thing, adding in what i think looks right or fun. If it doesnt work I rip it out and try something else.

But I do love my technology and all the little gadgets i can throw in/at the tank and improve it that much more. Just like my Apex, sure I only have a 29 biocube and I could get away with no controller on it, but its just so much fun to control my tank anywhere i have cell phone signal.

There are many ways mentors could be "selected", and I'm certainly not the one with the qualifications to do so. This could be a nomination process or any other logical method we can think of. That said what might work better is to expand our Full Tank Shot thread into a forum with sub categories and allow people to advertise their own setup, with pictures. We've kind of gotten away from it, and I know that a lot of us would love to see what each of you have been up to!

An idea I continue to discuss with our sponsors is to have some basic tank setup packages that newbies can select from with recommended equipment (and hopefully member discounts). Things like Nano-Soft Coral setup, etc. A totally different topic, I know...

No one mentioned the biggest factor limiting what type of tank you wish to establish - MONEY. How much technology can you afford? What tech stuff can be approximated by a cheaper, manual rig? I think the first thing you have to decide is your budgetary limits and then plan accordingly.