Rimless 140g

olaggie01

Updated pictures. I'm 2 weeks in a new Zeo routine of 5 ml Flatworm Stop (I don't have flatworms) and 5 ml Coral Booster daily. Seeing great growth on zoas and LPS. SPS growth is about the same but getting some nice color changes though. I also noticed the other day that 1 of my 6105s was on so I ended up losing a coral and a few are still recovering from that.

I also added MH to my frag tank and sold my LEDs. Added some additional frags lately and changed my frag rack in the frag tank.

Table (getting some blue/green highlights)

PB209605.jpg

Table (getting some pink highlights and white growth branches)

PB209609.jpg

PB209611.jpg

PB209612.jpg

Strawberry shortcake

PB209615.jpg

Nice acro with ice blue tips

PB209619.jpg

Echinata (hawkins?)

PB209627.jpg

third from the bottom is amazing! can you explain the flatworm business?

Thanks. It is supposed to stimulate slime and coral health. Not sure if it works on SPS (although it is recommended for SPS). Dosing is 1ml/25g but I've been using half that until I figure out if it is working and not adding PO4 plus it's darn expensive.

I like that valida/tenuis. It has some nice color, especially at night when the polyps are out and bright green.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking alot about my stupid overflow and how to fix it so that I can utilize the space under the MH, etc. I thought about drilling the tank but I'm worried about a crack plus I don't want to drain the tank. I thought about adding one of these overflows (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160311) but then again, I'm not sure I want to drain the tank plus I would worry about it sealing properly. My next option and only really valid option would be to remove the overflow and add PVC to the drains and run then along the bottom of the tank to an internal overflow. I'd paint the PVC black to hide it and then cover it with sand/rubble etc. I need to order some black acrylic to make my overflow box but other than that, I should be able to make the change rather quickly without draining the tank, etc.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the dreaded day has arrived. I now have AEFWs. I noticed a few weeks ago that I was getting STN on some acros at the base, along with loss of color. I pulled a few acros out and noticed I had the bite marks as well. I tried to up the dosage of the Flatworm Stop / Coral Booster, but it was only a bandaid. I thought about blasting all the acros and hoping that it would take care of the problem, but since I travel, it wasn't an idea situation. I ended up taking my frag tank off line and am using it as a coral QT now. I have pulled all the acros out of the display and dipped them in Bayer at the recommended dosage for 5 minutes. I did a complete water change on the QT tank and then added the acros back. Everything is doing well, minus some color loss but that was expected. The acros have adapted so far. I will dip weekly for 6 weeks while leaving the DT without acros in hopes to break the cycle. I will probably end up QTing any new acros for a number of weeks in order to avoid this again.

While I had the acros out of the DT, I re-arranged the aquascape a little. I never liked looking down the length of the tank because I had a large mound of rock in the way. So I switched things around a little. I'm a little worried about the flow at the back end of the tank so I may end up moving one of the tunzes or trying an MP40.

I still need to remove the overflow, which seems to be a little harder than I expected. I tried to call the builder but I can't get ahold of him.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the acro-less DT and the acro-packed QT.

AEDCDEEA-5A1F-41B2-A263-D4659AD20BBA-131

458889FD-1CCA-4A67-8E80-85B28134D97B-131

9A311D96-69A7-4BCB-8869-02881980B72F-131

EC987B75-B402-45AE-8157-BD1ED824B35B-131

The removal of the SPS colonies came out better than I imagined. Good luck with the fight!

-Ty

Thanks Ty. It wasn't that difficult to remove the colonies but took some time to determine where the best place to cut to remove the most about of tissue, etc.

• 5 months later...

Guess I need to update this thread. Tank is still alive (at least the fish are), but most of the corals are gone. A combination of things, AEFWs, high PO4, Bayer, etc. I think it was too much for most of the SPS/LPS in the tank. Zoas and mushrooms are doing good. It started when I discovered AEFWs around the first of the year, then I had some
residual bayer get into the tank and kill all my bacteria/microfauna, which ended up killing my PO4 processing. The GFO reactor was clogged as well, so things started going down hill quickly.

I ended up selling my skimmer and buying an ATi Aquacone 250is and started zeo about 4 weeks ago. I've always wanted to try zeo but always thought it was too time consuming. The first 2 weeks is a little time intense but now it is pretty simple. I travel for work and it hasn't been too hard on my wife or tank sitters. I am getting comfortable with zeo and now my PO4 is hovering around .2ish. I plan to remove the biopellets this week and probably take out the rest of my cheato (it's starting to turn brown). I removed the GFO when I started the zeo so I'm confident when I remove the fuge/BPs that I shouldn't get a spike in PO4.

I need to get my salt levels down to zeo ranges as my alk is hovering around 8.5 and since I don't have a lot of corals to eat up the remaining alk, I'm doing 10% water changes 2x per week with NeoMarine salt to try and decrease it. I'm planning on adding a few test corals early this week to see how they react to zeo. I'll try and take a weekly picture to show progress. I need to take a few other pictures of the tank.

The water is crystal clear now and most of the rock is cleaned (it was getting a lot of fuzz on it). Fish are growing and are happy now that the PO4 levels are down since I can start to feed them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing well with zeo. Actually, doing really well. Keeping my PO4 to less than .03, which is great. I need to get my alk back in line (has hovered around 8.5-9 where it should be 7ish). I ended up ordering a new avast marine automatic zeo reactor so I'll be selling my vertex reactor when it arrives. I hope I can get it setup by the end of next week when I change out the zeo stones.

Didn't take you long to bite the bullet and go automatic on the zeo reactor! Haha.

True, but I was always looking for one and now that I found one (especially at the price), I had to jump on it. I like zeo but with my travel, I'm worried I'm not getting the full benefit. Allowing the stones to tumble 3-4x per day will be beneficial to the tank

Not a lot of good coral pictures to show, but here are some of the better pics. I am hoping to buy another shipment of sps colonies after the 4th. Just need to get my alk a little lower before I am comfortable with dropping $ on them. I should be getting my auto zeo reactor this week I hope.

Decent corals

P7011020_zpsb8fea096.jpg

P7011021_zpsf58cb522.jpg

P7011022_zps44961f3f.jpg

P7011023_zpsd0aec400.jpg

P7011025_zpse1dd402b.jpg

P7011026_zps02ef0fbb.jpg

But as you can see, I'm getting burnt tips on a lot of the corals from the high alk with zeo. I have done a 30g water change yesterday and am at 8.2. I will be doing another 30g change tomorrow (hopefully) to try and knock it down into the 7s.

P7011027_zps81e9b67b.jpg

Undata is doing well though. It is the only non-zoa that is doing well.

P7011028_zps13b2cbc4.jpg