ADA 90P - 48 Gallon Rimless Build

jestep

Thanks. Probably need to plan out a direction more with it now. I'm just too impulsive in stocking it. Still a bit too hodge podgy for what I want overall but I'm very glad it's stable and getting great growth out of just about everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(02-04-2013):

IMAG0824_1024.jpg

(05-01-2012):

IMAG0202-002%20(Large).jpg

(03-26-2012):

90p-03-23-2012.jpg

(03-14-2012):

IMAG0107-1%20(Medium).jpg

(03-01-2012):

IMAG0092%20(Medium).jpg

(01-23-2012):

P1060262%20(Large).JPG

Figured I would start a build thread with this tank since it's not setup yet. ADA 90P. Getting the overflow setup in the next week and should be off to the races.

Have to make a big decision whether to put a top on it or get rid of my dwarf morays. Leaning towards a lid of some sort. They're by far my favorite fish, but not willing to take the risk of them climbing out.

P1060251%20(Medium).JPG

P1060249%20(Medium).JPG

P1060253%20(Medium).JPG

P1060255%20(Medium).JPG

Specs on the setup:

Equipment:

ADA 48 Gallon

Reef Keeper Lite

12 Gallon Display Refugium (Mud substrate)

10 Gallon Berlin Refugium Sump (Mud substrate)

Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 Skimmer

BRS Dual Carbon / GFO Reactor

Custom Biopellet Reactor

Eheim Compact 3000+ Return Pump

1 - Vortech MP40

2 - Vortech MP10

2 - 250 MH Fixture w/Plusrite 20K bulbs

2 x 36 T5HO

24" Reef Brite LED Actinic Fixture

Hardscape:

Zero live rock in tank except a few corals attached to rubble

3 - Ceramico Features (2 in DT and 1 in Display Fuge)

About 20# of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand

About 20# of Fiji mud in 2 refugiums

Livestock:

Yellow Eye Kole Tang

1 Blue/Green Chromis

1 Springer's Damsel

1 CB Black Oscellaris

1 CB Orange Oscellaris

1 Blue Mandarin

Inverts:

No snails or hermit crabs

2 RBTA's

1 GBTA

1 Porcelain Crab

Ton of LPS, SPS, Gorbs, Zoas and Paly's

I know this is an older post, but I have an ADA 90P that I used as a Planted tank, and now want to convert it to a saltwater tank. Did you use this as a freshwater ever? Is this tank drilled?

I have the Grand Solar 1 Light that matches the ADA set up..do you think it's powerful enough to use for corals?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks! Tank looks great!

If you changed bulbs to something bluer (14-20k) it would be. As is, it's gonna look really yellow. 150w is also not a ton of mh light for a tank that size. If you plan to do this long term, of recommend a stronger light (2x250 mh or LEDs).

It's drilled for a horizontal overflow. I would prefer a vertical one, but this was used when I got it, so I just stuck with that. Did have to fix it as it was acrylic and the silicon quickly came off the acrylic. On the first page of this thread you can see the glass overflow box I made for it. Also, if you drill yours make sure the bottom isn't tempered, I think it might be so I would probably email ADA directly just to confirm. If you have polarized sunglasses or a laptop, you can usually tell just by looking at the bottom pane, or putting the laptop behind it and see if you get screen distortion. Be 100% sure before drilling any pane, as it will ruin the tank if you try to trill a tempered pane.

I definitely agree on the lighting color, 14 - 20K is about perfect.

150 works but is way on the low end. I was using a 10K bulb on my single 150W fixture with about a 10 - 12 hour photo period. The biggest issue is the spread barely reaches the 2 ends of the tank, so not a whole lot can grow in those areas. If you have the fixture, I would stick with it, but you may need a long photo period to get good growth. Maybe 12 - 14 hours with a 14K bulb.

I think 2 x 150 would be about perfect. I run 2 x 250 and it's a bit absurd in this size tank. I keep my temp at 77, and run less than 5 hours on the MH photo period and I still have major issues with bleaching if I'm not careful moving coral around. New coral start in the corners and I move them towards the light over a 4 - 6 week span.

• 2 weeks later...

Took these at lunch today. Actinic only in these so they're still pretty blue. Front blue and purple hammer is getting out of hand.

FTS:
IMG_0030_1024.jpg

Duncans:
IMG_0003a_1024.jpg

Springer's damsel:
IMG_0010a_1024.jpg

Dragon/eagle/whatever eye zoas
IMG_0002a_1024.jpg

Royal Gramma peeking through hammers:
IMG_0011a_1024.jpg

SPS starting to fill in:
IMG_0019_1024.jpg

Acans, and favia:
IMG_0005a_1_1024.jpg

Orange wall hammer
IMG_0001a_1024.jpg

It's hanging in there. It's running off a single 15W 5000K PAR38 LED fixture which works great on my regular refugium but I don't think it's strong enough for the display fuge given how much higher up it is. Red grape caulerpa is growing fine, but the mangroves seem to be stalled.

May upgrade to a 70W MH or something similar to get better coverage and intensity. Would like to stay with a pendant or hanging fixture on it.

• 1 month later...

As of now going to do a direct transfer. Should give me much more room for my hammers to be apart from my SPS and LPS that they keep stinging. I do have a very nice branching feature that came with the tank that I may incorporate later.

I'm also overstocked right now and should be just about perfect in the 90 with no new additions.

• 4 weeks later...

This will probably be the last picture update on this tank. Upgrade finalizing in the next week or two. Bought the 90 rimless from Bio3 and in the final stages of moving over to it.

Fish are all getting along very well, but obviously not appropriate once grown for this size tank. Have added a few new corals like the yellow/green table and the acro on the back wall. Really want the extra landscape so I can trim down to a cleaner look as originally planned. Will probably sell my chalices and lower light coral in the sandbed that have been hiding from the light under my overflow.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

This happened about a week ago. I took the filter covers off my vortech pumps to replace them and forgot to put one of the new ones back on. My yellow tang was wrapped around one when I looked at the tank in the morning. He must have been on it a long time, probably all night, because his whole body was curved for about 48 hours after I found him. His mouth was badly gouged and fins shredded. He had indentations from the vortech grill, and he basically sat on the bottom of the tank not moving for a full day. No idea how he made it, but minus an eye, he looks like he'll pull through.

Really sad and gruesome. Still hoping he doesn't get an infection or anything. His depth perception is completely shot. I watched him unsuccessfully try to eat sinking pellets several times but he's been chowing on nori.

IMAG1033_1024.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

WHYYY???? This baby was so beautiful! I love Ceramico! I just hear it's quite difficult to come by (was told they are always out of stock and slack on shipping). Where did you pick yours up from?