(03-26-2012):
90p-03-23-2012.jpg

(03-14-2012):
IMAG0107-1%20(Medium).jpg

(03-01-2012):
IMAG0092%20(Medium).jpg

(01-23-2012):
P1060262%20(Large).JPG

Figured I would start a build thread with this tank since it's not setup yet. ADA 90P. Getting the overflow setup in the next week and should be off to the races.

Have to make a big decision whether to put a top on it or get rid of my dwarf morays. Leaning towards a lid of some sort. They're by far my favorite fish, but not willing to take the risk of them climbing out.

P1060251%20(Medium).JPG

P1060253%20(Medium).JPG
P1060255%20(Medium).JPG

Specs on the setup:

Equipment:

ADA 48 Gallon

Apex Lite

Tunze ATO
12 Gallon Display Refugium (Mud substrate)

10 Gallon Berlin Refugium Sump (Mud substrate)

Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 Skimmer

BRS Dual Carbon / GFO Reactor

Custom Biopellet Reactor

Eheim Compact 3000+ Return Pump

1 - Vortech MP40

2 - Vortech MP10

2 - 250 MH Fixture w/Plusrite 20K bulbs

2 x 36 T5HO

24" Reef Brite LED Actinic Fixture

DIY ebay Peristaltic dosing pumps for Alk and Ca

Hardscape:

Zero live rock in tank except a few corals attached to rubble

3 - Ceramico Features (2 in DT and 1 in Display Fuge)

About 20# of Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand

About 20# of Fiji mud in 2 refugiums

Livestock:

2 Spot Bristle Tooth Tang

1 Blue/Green Chromis

1 Springer's Damsel

1 CB Black Oscellaris

1 CB Orange Oscellaris

1 Royal Gramma

Inverts:

No snails or hermit crabs

2 RBTA's

1 Rainbow BTA

1 GBTA

1 Porcelain Crab

1 Fromia Starfish

Ton of LPS, SPS, Gorgs, Zoas and Paly's

• Like 1

Pretty sweet. What are the dimensions on that tank? Assuming you keep the Morays, are you gonna go FOWLR or reef? Did you have a stock list in mind? What about lighting? Sorry for all the questions, but I was wanting to do something similar by my front door ( my wife just wants a table with a lamp on it, I say a new tank will provide the light she wants :) )

Dimensions are 36x18x18, ~50 gallons.

Going mixed SPS/LPS reef. The dwarf moray's only get to about 10 - 12in and they are definitely reef safe. Very hard to find, but really cool eels.

Currently have a 250Mh w/ 4 36w T5's and some moon LED's for lighting. Will probably setup 14K MH, and 2 420nm and 2 460nm for the T5's. Should be plenty, but it's a single bulb so I'm not sure I'm going to like the spread on it.

Not entirely sure on the stocking. Want to keep it reasonable to keep the nutrient levels down. The eels are so small and sedentary I hard time believing they contribute half of what a clown would to a bioload. Would like a Kole tang or bristletooth or foxface of something similar to keep potential algae at bay. Tank size is definitely pushing it though.

I was going to use dry rock from marco or BRS originally, but I ended up settling on this. The rock is actually ceramic. It's from a company called Vidarock, and is sold online by: http://aqua-tecture.com/. There's a ton of benefits in live rock, but I wanted to try this with zero potential impact on an actual reef by going live rock free in the display tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updating. The original overflow was acrylic and started to leak. I ripped it off with very little effort, so had to come up with a plan for a new one. However, I had no intention of draining and emptying the tank. I got some cut glass from a local shop and made a horizontal overflow box, and attached it vertically. Took some clamping and taping ingenuity for sure. But it's solid and clean and doesn't leak.

Next I wanted to use a drilled return line for my pump so I could use lockline. Drilled a hole for a 3/4" bulkhead and fitted it with lockline. Drilled a second hole in the overflow for a backup drain in case the primary got clogged for any reason.

IMAG0017%20(Medium).jpg

IMAG0018%20(Medium).jpg

Finally got it filled this weekend. Running it for a few days to ensure there is no leaking. Should start moving coral once I'm satisfied that it wont leak. Base rock was added about 3 weeks ago to seed the tank. Should be more or less ready to go at any point. Still using a temporary heater and pump. Both vortech's are on my other tank until I go to formally move everything. Looking forward to a 100% cord free display.

IMAG0092%20(Medium).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got some coral moved over this weekend. I have an old tank in the way of me getting a good picture so these are still a bit rough. Probably going to change out the light for something a little warmer a 10K or 12K. It's a little too blue for my taste but looks really good in person. Very satisfied with the light spread. I originally worried it wouldn't be good coverage, but there's really no unacceptably dim areas.

90p-03-23-2012.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few updated pictures. Still taking these with my phone, so the quality is pretty poor which you can tell by the bad contrast and pixelation. Need to get my camera back...

IMAG0178edited%20(Large).jpg

IMAG0176edited%20(Large).jpg

Wish I could show the real colors here. This hammer is bright pink/orange, and the digi, scoly, and the BTA are all bright red.

IMAG0172edited%20(Large).jpg

IMAG0173edited%20(Large).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to get some more up. Lent my good camera out to a family member and need to get it back.

Livestock: Right now there is a small kole tang, a bi color foxface, 1 black clown, a blue mandarin, and some green chromis.

Have a few more sps and lps coral including a nice purple frogspawn. Still working on the final layout as it's a bit too unnatural now.

• 4 weeks later...

Haha... I had a 90 lb Rottweiler try to jump on my tank as I was looking at it. I freaked the f- OUT! My wife still makes fun of me to this day.

Anyways, I'm totally digging your tank. There is something so simple about it, yet so sophisticated. Love it!