Brooks' Seahorse Tank

Brooks

5 lost today.

Changed the buckets they were in. Sanitized the other while they are in their current one.

I fed the babies some Cyclopees today along with the usual bbs, and I had about 6 or 7 eating the Cyclopees!!!! That is GREAT!

I'm currently enriching some 36 hour old brine shrimp. Should be ready for them to eat in the morning.

As far as progressing with the big tank, I've got the tank... finally... and I've got the divider siliconed in.

Going to get it running tomorrow.

Boo-Yah!! Just keep doin' what you're doin'!! Do not get discouraged by loss...concentrate on the ones that are still alive. I am posting a thread in a few minutes of my seahorses and babies..(the whole TWO!!) I want to see you 10X what I managed to save...you can do it!!

I am losing track of how many tanks you have running. A lot more than the zero you stated out with ;)

Haha :D Two tanks, and one bucket. :lol:

5 lost today.

Changed the buckets they were in. Sanitized the other while they are in their current one.

I fed the babies some Cyclopees today along with the usual bbs, and I had about 6 or 7 eating the Cyclopees!!!! That is GREAT!

I'm currently enriching some 36 hour old brine shrimp. Should be ready for them to eat in the morning.

As far as progressing with the big tank, I've got the tank... finally... and I've got the divider siliconed in.

Going to get it running tomorrow.

Boo-Yah!! Just keep doin' what you're doin'!! Do not get discouraged by loss...concentrate on the ones that are still alive. I am posting a thread in a few minutes of my seahorses and babies..(the whole TWO!!) I want to see you 10X what I managed to save...you can do it!!

Thanks Laura! Encouragement always helps! Hehehe!

I can't wait to see your thread!

Well, the most of the fry don't look like they're doing well today. There are still 11 that do look fine. I had a die off of 4 today, but it looks like over the next day or so most will be dead.

It looks like they are eating, but some sort of bubble is blocking it from making it into their stomachs.

They are now in the 29g tank.

Dang. How many dead now? That's weird.

I woke up this morning and they were doing MUCH better. I turned off the flow and there were only 5 that still were too weak and got stuck in the top. They are eating again... I think what they needed was a bigger water volume with lighter circulation.

Brooks...by our conversation last night, you have a bright future with seahorses...I'll never leave ya!! You know that. This will get better. Remember....CALL ME.

Thank you so much Laura! That means a lot. wave.gif

You have them in their own 29g now? Or the one the parents are in? And that is GREAT to hear. I was worried-I am banking in you doin good ;). Hopeully the little guys toughen up quick!

They are their own 29g. I am crazy, right? laugh.gif

OMG Brooks...is that the guy you picked up from me today??? He looks HUGE....you are going to be VERY busy.... :wub:

and yes...I got it with the orange bellies...keep 'em full!!!

He is GIGANTIC! And man... he loves to eat. He is breathing a bit heavier than he ought to, but that is due to the huge amount of fry that will be coming any day minute now.

Yep, I am trying. About 15% of them aren't eating. I am feeding newly hatched BBS and 48 hour enriched.

I NEED to get some more hitching posts....

Well everyone, the big guy popped this morning. I didn't even bother to count how many, but I know it is well over 100.

Every SINGLE one has a full belly. I feel like this batch is much stronger than the last. They are all hitching and roaming all over the tank.

Pictures:

DSC_9402.jpg

DSC_9403.jpg

DSC_9405.jpg

Dude they look great.

Thanks Collin! :D

Just when you think you can get out...they pull you right back in... ;)

I am so just kidding....

We need to throw Brooks a Ponie Shower....

Hahah! A Pony shower... that would be interesting. laugh.gif

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I've really enjoyed keeping up with this thread, thanks for all the pics!

Also, this is WAY late, but if you ever do need to keep a heater in with seahorses, they make heater guards you can buy, or you can always make your own out of plastic canvas.

I am thinking of adding a heater into both tanks. In the fry tank it is not an issue, as there is a barrier preventing them from touching it. However, in the 'main' tank, I am going to get one... last night the temperature got to 67 degrees. That is a little chilly!

Brooks...they look VERY healthy....remember...Formalin is your friend...I also have a special cleaning tool that I bought from Dan and Abbie...it helps you clean the bottom and has a little brush at the end to scrape off all the white fog that develops...that where your hydroids love to live...I'll give it to you when I see you...Collin...I have some giveaways for baby fry that I will give to you too...you guys will be the next Seahorse Souce of Texas!!